Thread: Tape Worms in Kittens

Tape Worms in Kittens

Has anyone used the over the counter wormer for kittens with tape worms? I had them all treated for hook and round...but, apparenlty, strongid doesn't work on tape. LOL, one, at least, has tape.

Has anyone ever used Drontal? I bought 3 tabs from Petmeds for about $18. LOL, that is less than the cost of the office visit my vet charges. <sigh> .

Drontal is very good for parasites. It's one of the strongest and best anti-parasitical around.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Thanks. In hindsight, I probably should have bought two packages, keeping it for next time.

I always ask for extra. Ya never know down the line when you're gonna need it. When in doubt, refrigerate!!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

Yes, I've also used Drontal. Shortly after I adopted Sky, I noticed that he had tapeworm. Even though he was tested for parasites it didn't pick up the tapeworm. He had been a stray and had fleas before I adopted him. I still don't understand why the Humane Society didn't treat him for tapeworm. He had to take one doseage and then another doseage a few weeks later. Luckily I didn't have to treat all of my other cats. I've heard that the over the counter products just don't work. Drontal should do the job. Good luck.

If a cat has fleas, chances are they'll have tapes. Fleas are an intermediate host. There is another medicine called Profender which is topical like the flea meds, which kills tapes, rounds and hookworms. It can be used for kittens down to 8 weeks.

Please don't use OTC wormers. They have high toxicity. Some flea treatments that used to be Rx are now OTC, but I don't know of any wormers. Good luck with the baby!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

@ste- weird, a topical that treats an intestinal parasite? Had I known that, I prolly would have opted for that instead of the pill. I know the four kits had fleas, and I had them all treated with $$, LOL. But, maybe I will look into that for my own 7....I have fears of a huge tape epidemic.

I like Dontral but you need a prescription to buy it online, I know vet's I use wont give "extra's" for other cats other than patient whom they are treating. Where are you all getting it without prescriptions?

I've used OC for tapeworms on older cats with no problems.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

I bought it online without a rx. 1800 petmeds if memory serves me correctly.

LuLu has something going on back there. She's been rubbing her butt on the carpet. Then this morning, I caught her chewing on the window blind chord. I immediately hid them. Maybe she ate a little bit and it's not *ahem* agreeing with her.

Getting some Drontal just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    I bought it online without a rx. 1800 petmeds if memory serves me correctly.

Panacur C (Intervet) for dog usage doesnt require rx.
    Dontral Plus does at 1-800 pet meds

Think allot of these places are tightening up their restrictions.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

I mispoke. I purchased Tape Worm Tabs- marketed by Tradewinds. According to something I read online (not from the tradewinds site), there are only two manufacturers of tape worm tabs for cats: Bayer and Tradwinds. The key ingredient is praziquantel (pra-zee-kwan’-tell). According to this site:

Trade Winds
    •Trade Winds tape worm tablets are available over the counter to pet owners. It is identical in every way to its prescription counterpart, including dosage, clinical indications, efficacy and administration instructions. The only difference between the two is that you do not need to obtain a prescription to buy Trade Winds brand tapeworm tablets.

We shall see!