Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I make the Xmas tree not a cat tree?

How do I make the Xmas tree not a cat tree?

This stems from Ramanth's thread about keeping the dogs from pottying on the tree.
    This will be Jax's first Christmas. He is such a wild man that I'm concerned about the Christmas tree. The last couple of years Paizly has climbed up the center of the tree and likes to hang out in there. When I caught her in there I'd get her out, of course. But I'm afraid Jax will turn the tree over.
    Last year we set the tree up and never put decorations on it (boy are we lazy!). I want to put the tree up, because I want to take pictures in front of it for our cards to family and friends.
    So any suggestions for me? I know it's probably about impossible. And I might just put only non-breakable ornaments on it, just to be safe.

Oh and btw, it is a fake tree.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I, too, have an artificial tree and I have a problem every year with Ming trying to mess with it. I have some help in that area as Mac will often sit below the tree and threaten Ming if he even comes near the tree. But he isn't always at his assigned post, so I keep the breakable ornaments near the very top of the tree, use no tinsel or garland, and kind of reinforce the bottom with heavy items on the stand so it won't easily tip over (it's also in a corner for that reason). We still have the occasional "accident", but nothing is hurt, especially the cats!
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

I have a fake tree with unbreakable ornaments and plastic icicles. Missy only sleeps under it! RB Sassy, however, her first Christmas was another story. We had a real tree, which she only climbed once, didn't know how to get down, so never climbed it again. Every day, when I got home from work, the ornaments were GONE! By the time Christmas got here, I was literally throwing them back on the tree. As for the lights, many nights I went to light the tree and a strand wasn't lit. She had pulled out a bulb! She was only five months old then, and never touched the tree after the first year.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Fishing line! Seriously, anchor the tree to the wall, just tie fishing line around the trunk then run a piece over to the wall, where you can anchor in a discreet spot. Do at least two, three if you can, and that will make the tree much harder to tip over. It's either that or be prepared to be vigilant with a spray bottle when you are home, and keep him out of the room when you're not home! It's kind of easier to make the tree more stable use unbreakable ornaments, and let them explore until they are bored with it! No tinsel, though - you probably already know that can wreak havoc with kitty tummies, so it's best to avoid temptation!
    I've Been Frosted

Hey all I have to say is Good Luck && Can you Video all the activity with the kitties & the tree.. keep us posted ok..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Only advise I have is use unbreakable ornaments and take lots of pictures.
    I, myself, gave up on having a tree years ago. Something I do not regret, specially now with the terrible twosome: Chip and Chuck.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have not had a tree for many years as I know that the Kitten trio are steeplejacks by nature and they would all love to yell
    TIMBBEERRR!!!
    Karen's idea of reinforcing the tree sounds like the best solution to me!!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

We have never used tinsel since I've lived with Bruce. He doesn't like it, and I know how it is for kitties. Growing up we used it all the time.

I do like the idea of anchoring it to the wall with fishing line. I will have to have Bruce do that. It is in a corner so that would be super easy to do. It will also give me peace of mind for when we aren't home and I won't have to lock him up the whole time.
    So that's the solution!! Thanks so much Karen. Anchor the tree and use unbreakable ornaments. That's too bad, because we have clear glass bulbs for each member of the family (us and the pets) that I have written names and the year on with a silver sharpie. Oh well, they can come out later on after Jax is more calm (will that ever happen? LOL).

I will do my best to have the video camera ready when Jax first discovers the tree. Hee hee
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

artificial tree... non-fragile ornaments...

My brother's family has a real Christmas tree. Milo likes to lie under it but (knock on wood) he's never tried to go *up*.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu View Post
    I have not had a tree for many years as I know that the Kitten trio are steeplejacks by nature and they would all love to yell
    TIMBBEERRR!!!
    Karen's idea of reinforcing the tree sounds like the best solution to me!!!
    I'm thinking that Tubster Panther could take care of this for you by himself ... or maybe with a little help from Miquelito?! I'm laughing as I picture this !
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Do be carefull with the fishing line due to it is a very fine durable line & can cut you & or the babies real easy if they start trying to chew on it & crossing it.. Lets maybe use some type of rope.. I know find some long shoe laces & tie all together to make a long one.. Or use a cloths line rope..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Here I have 10 cats (11 up to Aug 2008) and never had a cat climb a tree, real or artificial. Maybe I have abnormal cats?

Bat at the ornaments on the lower branches, oh yes. Even to th point of having them of and strewn around the house.
    Sit under the tree and doze? Definitely!

Paws crossed, this year will be NO different around here.

Quote Originally Posted by lvpets2002 View Post
    Do be carefull with the fishing line due to it is a very fine durable line & can cut you & or the babies real easy if they start trying to chew on it & crossing it.. Lets maybe use some type of rope.. I know find some long shoe laces & tie all together to make a long one.. Or use a cloths line rope..
    We usually put it high up enough so the kitties cannot get it. And it's strung tight and against the wall for the most part, so out of the way for people as well.
    I've Been Frosted

We anchored the tree to the wall as well and not just for kitties. Much better that way. Also plastic or unbreakable ornaments were on the bottom branches.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

It's simple...dont' put up a tree!!! With 5 cats, I'd rather not decorate than have to clean up broken ornaments or dragging a cat to the vet to have the tinsel pulled from the cat's butt.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!