Thread: Help with keeping dogs off the bed!

Help with keeping dogs off the bed!

Hello,

I have two 25 lb. Cocker Spaniels (one a year old and one 4 years old) who have always slept with us. My husband and I have recently decided that our sleep is becoming disruptive and have purchased a large dog bed which is in our bedroom. Our dogs actually have adapted quit nicely to their bed.

However, when my husband gets up in the moring at 6:00 and lets the dogs out, they very much want to get in bed with me. I am not opposed to this and would actually enjoy them in the bed for an hour. My concern is that I don't want to send mixed messages that sometimes it's okay to be in bed and other times it is not. Would they understand the different of going to bed in the evening on their bed and being in our bed in the morning?

Any input would be helpful! Thank you.

Michelle

I know people will have different opinions on this. But I tend to believe they could learn to know the difference.
    We allow our dogs on our bed. However, a few years ago, Zoee was skunked. Well, she wasn't allowed on the bed for a couple months. She'd jump up there, but I'd tell her to get down. Eventually she would sit and look at me waiting for me to invite her up. Both of our dogs are very good at the down (or off) command. I actually only have to snap and point and Zoee understands what I mean.
    I'm actually surprised to hear that the dogs haven't snuck up onto the bed after you are asleep.
    I know some people (and it may differ, since every dog is different) believe it is very confusing for the dog. My brother has a rule in his house that the dogs do not get on the furniture unless they are invited. They do very well with that. Of course they sit and give you the puppy-dog eyes. LOL
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

It will be easier and better for them to be consistent. Not on the bed ever is far easier for them to understand, and in fact it will be better for them, as there's less jumping up and down, which can lead to spine problems in some small dogs over time. Is their bed close enough that you can pet them when they come back in in the morning? Or maybe adapt the routine so when they come back in, they come over and get some rubs and love from mom, and then they go to their bed and you fall back asleep in yours?
    I've Been Frosted

My first thought was the spine issues too!

I have bichons, and Marlin slipped a disc jumping down off my Dad's bed 3 eyars back. Fortunately, some pain meds and 6 weeks of "bed rest" and he has been fine, but it could have been disastrous!

I bought a set of sturdy stairs for them to go up and down. They didn't take long to learn to use the stairs, and now even the cats use them (lazy or luxury? LOL!)

Anyway, I think they CAN learn that night bedtimes, they sleep in their bed. Nap times, including that morning 'nap,' they are allowed up.

I am more surprised that, having allowed them on the bed for a year (or more for the 4 year old), they have now accepted that they sleep on the floor! My usual statement is: Do something once and if they like it, it is a RULE!

So now you have 2 yea and one nay, plus 2 concerns re jumping. LOL Good luck!

Thanks for responding. I never thought about the spine issues, but will certainly keep that in mind.

Sasha, the 4-year-old, does try to get in bed during the night, but I am a light sleeper and will firmly tell her off and go to her bed. I am actually surprised at how well they have adapted to their new bed and I am loving the extra space.

Even though I love the extra space, I hope my dogs feelings aren't too hurt. They are both so sweet and good natured. I know that they just want to be close to us.

I think dogs can learn two rules as well. But since you said your one dog likes to try to get on the bed sometimes, I would just stick to one rule. Don't worry about hurting their feelings!! Dogs just want to please you and be near you. If they have a warm place to sleep that's somewhat near you, I'm sure they are as happy as can be

I would LOVE to see pictures of your Cockers. I have a 5 year old Cocker myself, pictured in my sig.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*