Thread: Sit and behold God's creations

Sit and behold God's creations

I usually have a standard morning ritual that I must endure because of a health issue. Because my blood pressure drops drastically after having breakfast i usually walk Koko before I eat. On those days, like today, when I sleep late. I will eat then wait the 2 hours before I can do anything. This morning Koko was pressing me to walk her and I was doing every thing I could to get my pressure up. After 15 minutes of isometric exercises I thought I felt well enough to take her out for her walk. I hooked her up to her leash and headed out, only to get to my front porch, and realized my pressure was to low to proceed. I sat down on a rocker on the porch hoping I could proceed shortly. Sitting there feeling sorry for my self, suddenly I realize I was witnessing something that I had not seen in my 70 years of type "A" living. There in my front yard was literally hundreds of birds of at least 2 dozen different types having a feast on rye seed and Dogwood berries. It wasn't the number of birds that really set me back but the fact that I had never seen any species like them before. I don't know if this is just a one day thing that I have always been to busy to see or what.

There were two types that really caught my attention. One was a Wren sized bird that had a orange breast and a crest. The other was a small blue bird with an orange breast. I sat there for more than an hour taking in this wonder until Koko's patience wore out and I had to take her for her walk.

On returning an hour later there was not a sign of bird anywhere. I don't know if this was my one time, in a lifetime, to witness such a wonder or not. I wished I had a built in recorder so I could replay what I had seen. This was one time that my morning ritual was disrupted and I will savor the memory, I hope, for a long time.

That sounds like a true gift from God! I am glad you got to enjoy the birds. Take care of yourself!
    Lilith Cherry
    "
    "Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Mahatma Gandhi

Sorry about the health problems, but I'm glad you were slowed down
    just long enough to witness nature's treat. I'm sure it was a wonderful
    sight.

The other day I was out pooper scooping the back yard & cussing under my
    breath because I found it hard to tell the poop from the leaves on the ground.
    All of a sudden I became aware of the sound of geese, lots of them.I looked
    up to see many groups flying in formation, heading south for the winter.
    It took a full 1/2 hour for all of them to pass overhead. It was an awesome thing to witness.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    It pays to slow down & enjoy those special moments that life gives us.

Every now and then you have one of those moments. A moment when you notice something you just never noticed before.
    It pays to slow down now and then.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Just reading your story makes my heart full. Those moments are rare, unpredictable, and a pleasure to behold!

good post Freedom.......

that said it all......beautifully.......

Thanks to PCB!

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    The other day I was out pooper scooping the back yard & cussing under my
    breath because I found it hard to tell the poop from the leaves on the ground.
    All of a sudden I became aware of the sound of geese, lots of them.I looked
    up to see many groups flying in formation, heading south for the winter.
    It took a full 1/2 hour for all of them to pass overhead. It was an awesome thing to witness.
    Isn't that a gas?

That happened to me here in So Cal. Once I was walking out of work and had a whole squadron of geese fly over. The most impressive part? Watching them swap the 'point' of the vee. Somehow, someway they knew exactly when to change positions.

There was a field in the north part of the San Fernando Valley with a puddle in it. Until the developers began to build, there would be hundreds of geese lollying in the area, taking a break on their way south.

--------------------

The neighbor has planted some maple trees across the street that are turning colors at the moment.

Richard
    That happened to me here in So Cal. Once I was walking out of work and had a whole squadron of geese fly over. The most impressive part? Watching them swap the 'point' of the vee. Somehow, someway they knew exactly when to change positions.

There was a field in the north part of the San Fernando Valley with a puddle in it. Until the developers began to build, there would be hundreds of geese lollying in the area, taking a break on their way south.

--------------------
    Years ago we would see the Canadian Geese Fly over this time of year heading south to where ever they went back then. Now we see Geese flying in their V formation here year around. Around 15 or so years ago we started having the geese takeup residence on our area ponds and lakes & golf courses.. Today we have thousands of them that never go anywhere other than from lake to lake. You have to be careful even on the busiest streets because at anytime you might have a family of geese decide to cross the highway. In some areas they need to put up signs "Geese crossing". I guess there are many generations that have never left the area. We have Canucks, people Variety, converge on, and fill, our State Parks in the Winter but our laws say they have to Move out no later than March 15th. Maybe we need to pass a law that they each have to take a Goose back home with them.
    Last edited by kokopup; 11-29-2010 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kokopup View Post
    Years ago we would see the Canadian Geese Fly over this time of year heading south to where ever they went back then. Now we see Geese flying in their V formation here year around. Around 15 or so years ago we started having the geese takeup residence on our area ponds and lakes & golf courses.. Today we have thousands of them that never go anywhere other than from lake to lake. You have to be careful even on the busiest streets because at anytime you might have a family of geese decide to cross the highway. In some areas they need to put up signs "Geese crossing". I guess there are many generations that have never left the area. We have Canucks, people Variety, converge on, and fill, our State Parks in the Winter but our laws say they have to Move out no later than March 15th. Maybe we need to pass a law that they each have to take a Goose back home with them.

I don't know anything about types or habits of Geese, but these flew
    in smaller v groups & were very high up. You could hear them before you
    could spot them, at that altitude. Do you think they make constant sounds
    to help keep the group together?
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Lizbud
    I don't know anything about types or habits of Geese, but these flew
    in smaller v groups & were very high up. You could hear them before you
    could spot them, at that altitude. Do you think they make constant sounds
    to help keep the group together?
    I think that the Honking sound they make is some kind of communication but am not sure if this is to keep them together or not. The Geese in our area are always flying low but still you can hear them before they come into sight. I would say all of our Geese are flying at a couple of hundred feet max. The ones that come through that actually migrate are probably flying much higher but we never see them. I know that Decatur a site on the Tennessee River in North Alabama is on their fly through route because this is the only area I recall seeing them in the state until they decided to take up residence. The Wild life refuge on the Tennessee was always full of Ducks and Geese this time of year.