Thread: Need advice...

Need advice...

My daughter is taking care of her coworker/friends cat and dog for a few days, only because my daughter asked who was taking care of them while she was going to be out of town so at the last minute she was like oh I don't know so my daughter offered.

Anyway I went over there with her last night and tonight. The dog is left outside all the time and he is a very matted shitzhu. I just don't think a shitzhu is built to live outside all the time. We are in California but it does get down to freezing at night and it did this past week. He had a dog house that looked good.

Just not sure what to do about it, my daughter is quite upset. Also the cat is just on the porch with a towel, not even a decent bed. An adorable fluffy while kitty.

My daughter has stayed over there before and asked about bringing the animals in and she says the dog destroys everything, not sure about the kitty.

I told my daughter to gently discuss it with her that dogs are pack animals and they are lonely outside alone all day. The little guy seems pretty depressed and unsocialized.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

How long is your daughter caring for them? Might she try keeping the dog inside, crating him, to prove it can work? Poor babies, he must be so lonely and bored, Shih Tzus are companion dogs, they should be near their people! And if he's matted, it's also painful, the mats will pull at his skin whenever he moves.
    I've Been Frosted

They will be home tomorrow. My daughter asked if she could take them to her apartment but she said no, she would rather him just stay at home. We did bring him in the house and held him for about an hour while we were there.

I told my daughter next time she stays over there to offer to help give him a bath and help cut the knots.

I can't imagine my bubba outside all the time, he is my velcro boy. My daughter also has a shitzhu so we are both pretty upset about it.

Maybe my daughter can say hey I leave my dogs in the crate when I go to work (she does) so why can't Jake stay in the crate inside the house at night?

I also have a fence thing I can offer to loan her to try for a little bit. Its so hard when people don't have that inside of them to feel empathy for animals, we were telling the story at thanksgiving dinner and my sisters husband was saying oh he is fine no problem.

I have been frosted!

Oh my God, NO! Shih tzus should NOT be kept outdoors!

Take photos of what the dog looks like, the dog house, take photos of the cat's "area."

Take those to the local humane society or animal control, and ask them if this is proper? At this point, you aren't naming the owner or location. But, I am SURE they will say they need to take action.

As Karen said, mats pull on the skin and HURT! Shih tzus need to be at the groomer every 5 weeks or so, it is quite an expense. In between, they need regular brushing to prevent the mats.

Please, help these 2, you are in a position to do this and they can't help themselves, they need a human to step in.

WHY on earth does this person even HAVE pets, if she keeps them outdoors and ignores them like this???

Yes, I can well imagine the poor shih tzu is depressed. Are either animal fixed? Getting shots? Seeing a vet regularly? IF you know who the vet is, you can take the photos to the vet as well. They often can step in and take action, too.

You can also send the photos of the dog to a shih tzu rescue, see if they can provide some guidance.

We recently had a church group contact us about 2 bichons in need of rescue. My Team Leader phoned the person (I hesitate to call her an "owner" considering the state her dogs were in), and the church group had also been talking with her. The dogs are now in a safe, wonderful place. It took about 3 weeks to pull it all together. So it CAN be done!
    Grrrr . . . .

I agree with Freedom. Sounds like animal neglect/abuse to me. This person should be reported.

Well I won't be over there again to take pictures they will be home anytime. There is an animal lover at my daughters work who is a mutual friend, my daughter is going to enlist her help.

Its just so hard to understand. At the very least I am going to buy the kitty a warm bed for christmas and the doggie some toys and my daughter is going to make suggestions to her and try gently first. I have also told my daughter she can have her borrow my crate to try.

Yes I know shih tzu's take a lot of grooming I spend a fortune on bubba, more than my own hair hehe. But if they don't want to spend that money they at least need to do proper bathing and brushing.

My daughter wants to do this without making an enemy of her friend and most likely if we reported it they would say there is shelter and food and water. So I think a friendly way would be better, I am also going to tell my daughter to tell her its good for her 3 and 6 year old children to learn a good example of the dog and cat being part of the family.

When I grew up my dad loved animals but the dog was always outside, I think some people just don't get it.

I have been frosted!

I went through something similar with a previous co-worker. She has two small dogs that live outside. A couple years ago we have a severe freezing spell here in California. I had NO problem telling this woman that she shouldn't have these dogs at all and that she needed to either let them in the garage or get them a dog house with nice warm blankets. She said it was her husband that wouldn't let the dogs in the house or the garage.
    But, to my surprise, she came back after the weekend and showed me pictures of a nice dog house her and her husband built for the dogs. And she put freshly washed blankets in there and the dogs LOVED it! I still wasn't happy that they lived outside, but at least I made progress with getting them a house.
    Well, after she stopped working with me I found out (on Facebook) that they got ANOTHER dog! I asked her, bluntly, if this one was going to have to live outside too. Another surprise was her response. No, this one is living in the house. WHAT?!?! Why can this one live inside but not the other two? I don't get it. Oh well, I can only do so much.

My point is, maybe your daughter can make a bit of a difference for these animals. Of course she will be nicer about it than I was with my co-worker, but I have a feeling she can do it!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom View Post
    When I grew up my dad loved animals but the dog was always outside, I think some people just don't get it.
    I'll bet those dogs weren't shih tzus, or any other breed that is bred to be a companion animal. I bet those were working breeds; even if they weren't "working" during their lives, lol.

Caseysmom, bless you and your daughter for caring so much about this dog and cat!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    I'll bet those dogs weren't shih tzus, or any other breed that is bred to be a companion animal. I bet those were working breeds; even if they weren't "working" during their lives, lol.
    Yes your right there were not shih tzus...it would almost be better if he had another dog but then another dog would have that life....

I have been frosted!

11. All paws an fingers crossed that your daughter has luck with them. being civil an patient can go a long ways sometimes.

I just don't understand someone not even brushing a silky furred dog like that till they are all matted - I can't imagine how miserable that poor little thing is. and I agree, if they intend to keep their dog outside, they should get a breed that is suited to their year-round weather.

I know some disapprove of keeping dogs outdoors, but as long as they have an appropriate space (fenced, protected from the elements, plenty of clean water, dry sleeping quarters & regular interaction with their family or another dog), there are many dogs who would just as soon be outdoors. What's unacceptable is when they're abandoned to be stuck in the open tied to a tree or living in squalor. And no dog should be ignored.

Count me in as one who does not approve of keeping dogs outdoors - esp. not the way your daughter's friend is doing it. I have someone in my life that did this for years and it drove me crazy. If I had to have my dogs outside, I wouldn't have them. Sorry, hot button issue for me! (Edited to add: I understand when people have working dogs, like on a farm where they are out with the other animals all day and then sleep in a warm barn with them. No offense to anyone with working dogs meant! )

I hope your daughter is able to sit down with her friend and gently explain why this is not the best situation for these little creatures. Maybe she could get her a couple of books on pet care for Christmas - ones that explain how to board them and has a section on outdoor no-nos. That small of a breed? It hurts my heart to think of those poor babies shivering.

What about this: Does your daughter have enough money (Or could she pool together with other animal lovers at work?) that she could get the dog groomed as a Christmas gift? Maybe if they see the dog groomed, they will understand how dire unkempt coats can become.

Another suggestion: Maybe she could go to one of the local pet supply stores with her and walk around looking at things to help her understand what she needs to be a responsible pet owner, but under the guise of "shopping"?

I hope she is able to help her friend see that she needs to be a good mom to her animals - they aren't lawn gnomes that you buy and stick outside to be beaten down by the elements day in and day out.
    Last edited by elisabeth; 12-03-2010 at 11:17 AM.
    elisabeth

So sad. You'd be surprised how many people have small dogs like that as "outside dogs." I groomed a matted schnauzer yesterday that lived outside I told them after I was done with the dog (had to be shaved down) that it better live inside. I've seen a lot of schnauzers, poodles, shih tzus, even yorkies, etc. that live outside...and I live in Utah! I remember a guy throwing a fit because we had to shave his silky terrier (matted) in the winter, and now his dog was going to freeze to death because it was an outside dog. Ugh, seriously, even with the dog having a full coat, its still going to freeze to death because silkies do not have the undercoat to keep themselves warm anyway! Their hair is like human hair.

I don't agree with "outside dogs" period, obviously as I have three huskies and a lab mix in my house but I know some dogs can live outside and be well cared for, and sometimes with working dogs and such its not feasible for them to be in the house. My dogs love being outside, Nebo would happily live outside, I have to drag him in the house at night he wants to go sleep in the snow. But seriously, if you're going to get a dog to live outside, get a bigger dog with a coat that can handle the weather.

Maybe you could offer to buy them a crate so they could at least put the dog in the crate in the house at night to sleep?