Thread: weaning

weaning

Hi everyone,

Someone at work just had a new batch of kittens (first time) last week. They were asking me when the kittens should be weaned and can be given away. Any help ...

(I have always adopted adult cats, so I have never worked with kittens.)

Well, there is 'optimal' and there is "when CAN they"...I think 6-8 weeks is great for socialization purposes...they can be with the mommy cat, and learn all sorts of appropriate and inappropriate play gestures. For weaning, though, I think a minimum of 4 weeks...but I am not an expert. Keep in mind weaning is different then placing the kittens in loving homes.

And, maybe this momma cat should be spayed?? I say that since they aren't sure of the timing themselves, maybe this was an 'unplanned' pregnancy? I am not being mean/harsh, I just hate to see more kitties brought into the world...

I agree with Cataholic...I don't think kitties should be taken away from their mom until 6-8 weeks.
    Not being an expert and not knowing everthing a mommy cat needs to teach them, but I am guessing those two weeks can make a difference with socialization and perhaps overall health with respect to nursing and the nutrients transferred from mommy to baby.

My Slushy was given to a shelter at 4 weeks and I just had to adopt her because she was just too small to be on her own in that nasty ol shelter (my motherly instinct took over). Although she was easily litter trained...my older female cat had to show her "the ropes" on little things...

8 weeks!!!!
    Anything younger can lead to problems for the kittens.
    (yes 6 weeks is not uncommon, but if she took on the responsibility for a litter of kittens then she should take on the responsibility of keeping them with the Mom cat for the entire 8 weeks!)

Good morning everyone and thank you for your advice

The last time we talked about this I had suggested that she keep the kittens with Mom until they were about 8 weeks old, but I just wanted to confirm that opinion. I have also been STRONGLY encouraging her to get Mom fixed and to tell people who take the kittens to get them fixed. There are too many unwanted animals in the world and I would encourage everyone to have their animals fixed/spayed and microchipped.

At least 7 weeks. They do a lot of maturing and inbetween that 6th and 7th week. By the 7th week, they are becoming very curious and independant and its a great time for them to bond to their forever humans.

When we had a litter of kittens, we had planned to give them to their new homes at eight weeks, but by that seventh week, they were driving us crazy! They went to their new homes when they were seven weeks old and bonded wonderfully with their humans.

8 weeks is definitely the best ! The cat-mom teaches her kittens so many important things , like grooming , using litter-box , and so much more . Of course some kittens can be taken earlier , and sometimes you don't have a choice ...
    My little Inka was found in a cornfield , and she was hardly 6 weeks old . She is allright now ; but she needed (and still does) lots of attention ! But .. I DO NOT MIND AT ALL