Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Poor Snoopy New Update #29 for anxiety issues

Update:

Within a few days of finishing the medication his potty returned to normal and has been that way ever since ; Nasty stuff

Now we are dealing with separation anxiety. Snoopy has eaten through a steel crate (drew blood) and ate plastic around door way of ex lg cat crate. He is now on medication for the last 6 days and the vet said I might see improvement within few days but definitely within 14 days. With on going training he managed 60 mins in bathroom without to much destruction (although everything was taken out). He is a perfect dog until he cant see me! or is crated. We love him to death and apparently his feelings are mutual to us

Most of this is from being in pound for 3 months
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

Awww, Snoopy, I hope the medication helps you! I know it is hard to see your mum leave you but she'll be back, I promise. (((HUGS))) and prayers for you, sweety.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

My brothers RB dog, Boo, also had extreme separation anxiety. They did the medicine for him a couple times. He would only have this problem if he knew the family wasn't home for more than just the day (like on vacation) and he was left out in the kennel during the day. The meds did help him the couple of times they tried it. But then they found a boarding kennel that they used the remainder of his time with them. The boarding kennel did not have "cages" but they had condos. I know this is not a remedy for a daily situation. But I am hopeful that the meds will work for Snoopy. Maybe after he's been with you for a longer period of time he will come to trust that you are not abandoning him (although this wasn't the case for Boo). Poor guy.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post
    My brothers RB dog, Boo, also had extreme separation anxiety. They did the medicine for him a couple times. He would only have this problem if he knew the family wasn't home for more than just the day (like on vacation) and he was left out in the kennel during the day. The meds did help him the couple of times they tried it. But then they found a boarding kennel that they used the remainder of his time with them. The boarding kennel did not have "cages" but they had condos. I know this is not a remedy for a daily situation. But I am hopeful that the meds will work for Snoopy. Maybe after he's been with you for a longer period of time he will come to trust that you are not abandoning him (although this wasn't the case for Boo). Poor guy.
    His medication is one that needs to be given daily and for a period of time (and we may have to adjust up/down w/strength) along with training to get him use to being alone.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Freedom and Sirrahbed tipped me off to this line of treats. Freedom gives them to two of her dogs and Sirrahbed used them to help a cat with litter pan issues. I started my cat on them and things are vastly improved. I wonder if they would help Snoopy?

http://www.vetriscience.com/composur...dogs-MD-LD.php

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    Freedom and Sirrahbed tipped me off to this line of treats. Freedom gives them to two of her dogs and Sirrahbed used them to help a cat with litter pan issues. I started my cat on them and things are vastly improved. I wonder if they would help Snoopy?

http://www.vetriscience.com/composur...dogs-MD-LD.php
    I wish it was that easy to just give a treat but Snoopy has to be on an anti anxiety drug. Which I'm going to be able to get at my pharmacy for $4 month. I paid $12.20 for 2 weeks worth at vets office

Awww, Snoopy, I hope the medication helps you! I know it is hard to see your mum leave you but she'll be back, I promise. (((HUGS))) and prayers for you, sweety.
    Craftlady, how are things going?

Craftlady, how are things going?
    Today I took Snoopy to hairdressers at our outlet mall. We can see him from shop in car. He did really good only barked for about 3-4 minutes and settled down and watched the people pass by. I even got to have my eyebrows waxed which took a few minutes. She can cut my in about 10 mins I was there for about 1/2 hr. I was so happy and so was Snoopy for doing good

Also, Wednesday night we went to choir practice for an hour. All in All he did pretty good in the bathroom. A few nibbles on the baby gate which eventually was knocked down (keeps him away from wooden door). He didnt scratch to much. Not sure what would of happened if I stayed for bible study following practice. Hubby brought me home and he went back for it.

I'm glad you can see some improvement after starting his training.
    Hopefully, things will be even better after the meds really start to
    take effect. Good boy Snoopy.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Update:

After talking with my vet today, starting tomorrow we are increasing his dosage from 25 milligrams 2x a day to 50 milligrams 2x a day. So he will get total of 100 milligrams in a day.

He has been doing pretty well but we feel the extra milligrams will help him be more consistent in behavior.

Aw, Snoopy, you just luv your new mom SO much, huh? I hope you lean to trust that she WILL return.

What is the name of the med you are using?

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Aw, Snoopy, you just luv your new mom SO much, huh? I hope you lean to trust that she WILL return.

What is the name of the med you are using?
    Amitriptylinc HCL
    I can get it at my pharmacy for $8 He charged me $12.60 (close to that)for 40 tablets.

He luv's us allot

Quote Originally Posted by Craftlady View Post
    Update:

After talking with my vet today, starting tomorrow we are increasing his dosage from 25 milligrams 2x a day to 50 milligrams 2x a day. So he will get total of 100 milligrams in a day.

He has been doing pretty well but we feel the extra milligrams will help him be more consistent in behavior.
    Aww, Snoopy! I lit a candle for you on gratefulness.org on the pet talk page. I hope the amitriptyline helps! Mom may go somewhere but she will be back to you, sweety.

UPDATE:

This past weekend he decided to attack the mini blinds on the front window. Yep, went through 1 pr in 24 hrs. then dragged a lamp (pulled it out of outlet and chewed on wire). So, Sunday I stayed home from church. During the morning Snoopy got excited and ran up to couch in front of window and started barking like a crazy man. I had lifted the blind up to divider of window. He is barking and going NUTS at a cat outside. Could this be the cause of the mini blind destruction? Doesnt explain the lamp though. I started to use spray bottle with him everytime he got near the window. He didnt like getting wet in the face.

We are looking into ordering a steel dog crate that appears from all reviews to contain dogs like Snoopy safetly and they cant chew their way out. I will have to work with him intensely to not make the crate a horrible experience it's been in the past.

After the cord got pulled out of the wall that was last straw for keeping him in living room with Coco. He could of started a fire.

I've started back up the anixiety medications on weekends when we go places but at a reduced amt 25 mlg when needed 2x a day. We thought it might of been a cause of upset tummy at 50 mlg 2x a day.

Just makes me sad that his stay in animal shelter for 3 months till we adopted is causing all this anixety. He is good as gold when we are around

I'm sorry to hear that Snoopy is still having anxiety issues. Hopefully you'll find a good solution that will help him soon.