Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cat Litter

Special Kitty is a clumping litter. But most litter should NOT be flushed. It will clog up your pipes and cost a plumbing bill. And that is very expensive!

I use Arm & Hammer for multiple cats for six indoor boxes and Special Kitty for the 6 outdoor boxes.

I use World's Best, and truly believe it IS the world's best. This stuff has NO dust, clumps great, and makes scooping easy. It is more expensive on its face but I use and lose less litter.

I use Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract clumping litter. It clumps up pretty good but it is a bit dusty.

I have also used Arm & Hammer Multi Cat clumping litter that did a great job on odor control, and was less dusty, but tracked more and didn't clump as solid.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

We use World's Best too, for the same reasons Cataholic does.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

How does World's Best do for odor control? Where can you purchase it?

Time helps the sadness subside, but the memories remain forever.

I go to walmart and buy their "MIMI LITTER" . It's silica crystals, and it works like a charm. Dries out the pee and the poo.... no litter to really scoop until you go to empty the whole box in a couple weeks. I use 5 boxes and empty them once a month. The one downstairs I empty every week or two because everyone LovES it, lol.

Our local paper mailed out free samples to everyone today. I happened to be flipping through the coupons and came across one for a free bag of World's Best cat litter. Just go to this website to print the rebate form.

Time helps the sadness subside, but the memories remain forever.

Cat poop should NEVER be flushed down the toilet. Not because it may clog your plumbing, but because cats poops can contain Toxoplasmosis and can get into our water system, spreading the disease.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by Moesha View Post
    How does World's Best do for odor control? Where can you purchase it?
    It does quite well for odor control, because I never smell anything from it, poop or pee (unless Elmer has JUST done one of his really stinky-poops, but once it's covered up it doesn't smell any more).

Smaller, pet-specialty stores, the kind of places that carry the "organic" and "holistic" and "grain-free" foods, usually have it. I'm seeing it more in bigger places like Pet Supplies Plus and Petsmart now, too.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

@moesha....I think it works well with odor. I have two boxes in my bedroom and unless Cali has done something special, its all good. I do follow the 30 day and pitch all, and scoop twice upstairs and once downstairs.
    With the coupon....and it is actually a rebate...use only WB and no other kind in one box. I think you will like it,aside from price.

I wonder why you can't flush cat pee or poop down the toilet with scoopable litter. Doesn't the water filtration process remove disease?

World's Best and Swheat Scoop and safe to flush down the toilet. They will not clog your pipes and are made to flush. They are expensive, but they work very very well. I don't think I'll ever use anything else. It is def worth the cost. As far as flushing the litter goes, most everyone has already been exposed to toxoplasmosis. Most people however are immune. I can guarantee that almost everyone who has been around cats their whole lives already has it in their system. I didn't bother wearing gloves when changing litter when I was pregnant as I know I've already been exposed. It is already in our water, so flushing cat feces down the toilet isn't going to harm anything. There are tons of stray/outdoor cats who poop outdoors, so when it rains that infected water travels in our sewers etc. Every once in awhile we check blood for toxoplasmosis at work. It's interesting. Even with my Lupus, and having done chemo it hasn't affected me.

People who need to worry are those who have a slim chance of every being exposed to it. This includes vegetarians and vegans, and people who have never been around cats.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasmosis
    "Toxoplasmosis is a parasitic disease caused by the protozoan Toxoplasma gondii.[1] The parasite infects most genera of warm-blooded animals, including humans, but the primary host is the felid (cat) family. Animals are infected by eating infected meat, by ingestion of feces of a cat that has itself recently been infected, or by transmission from mother to fetus. Although cats are often blamed for spreading toxoplasmosis, contact with raw meat is a more significant source of human infections in many countries, and fecal contamination of hands is a greater risk factor.[2]"

"Transmission may occur through:

Ingestion of raw or partly cooked meat, especially pork, lamb, or venison containing Toxoplasma cysts. Infection prevalence in countries where undercooked meat is traditionally eaten has been related to this transmission method. Oocysts may also be ingested during hand-to-mouth contact after handling undercooked meat, or from using knives, utensils, or cutting boards contaminated by raw meat.[15]
    Ingestion of contaminated cat feces. This can occur through hand-to-mouth contact following gardening, cleaning a cat's litter box, contact with children's sandpits, or touching leach, and can survive in the environment for over a year. It is, however, susceptible to high temperatures—above 66 degrees Celsius (150 degrees Fahrenheit), and is thus killed by thorough cooking, and would be killed by 24 hours in a typical domestic freezer.[16]"

From the CDC website http://www.cdc.gov/toxoplasmosis/
    "Toxoplasmosis (Toxoplasma infection)

Washing vegetables thoroughly before eating them and cooking meat to recommended temperatures are just a few ways to reduce risk of toxoplasmosis. (Photo courtesy of USDA)
    Toxoplasmosis is considered to be the third leading cause of death attributed to foodborne illness in the United States. More than 60 million men, women, and children in the U.S. carry the Toxoplasma parasite, but very few have symptoms because the immune system usually keeps the parasite from causing illness.

However, women newly infected with Toxoplasma during pregnancy and anyone with a compromised immune system should be aware that toxoplasmosis can have severe consequences for them."

http://www.cigna.com/healthinfo/tn7481.html
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Well I know that in CA we are now forbidden to flush cat poop down the toilet. I've never done this any way. Stickers were put on flushable litters saying that if you live in CA to not flush cat poop down the toilet.

I was thinking about using Swheat Scoop in my litter box in my bedroom and I even bought 2 boxes of it. I decided to return them after reading that many people found bugs in the litter. Some opened it up and moths flew out. Some found beetles probably flour beetles. Some found worms. Some even found maggots. One lady had stored the boxes in her closet and later found maggots in there and she didn't put two and two together. She said even after 8 weeks she still had a problem. She later realized that it came from the litter. This made me not want to even open the boxes so I returned them. I've had bug problems in my condo in the past and I sure don't need to have any more in the future.

Ewww. Gross. I've never had a problem with it before. Weavels don't bug me though. They don't harm anything. Maggots on the other hand...I don't think I'd want to deal with those. I just love the litter though. Right now I'm using world's best. I love the wheat because it just has such a pleasant smell to it.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.