Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What cat food do I get???

Awww! Blunt says thanks, but she is well aware that she is beautiful! You can keep telling her though.

If you have a good quality dry food Blunt will stop eating when she's full? Right? I talked to her previous owner today and she said that Blunt has always been free fed. I'd like to continue to free feed her since that's what she's use to. I'll keep you updated on what food we pick up tomorrow. I'm really leaning toward the Blue Wilderness. I like the ingredients and you all seem to have good success with it. I think we're gonna try it.

On an un-food related topic. I've got a small slicker brush I've been brushing Blunt out about 3 times a day. She seems to like it. I feel a little bit of flea dirt behind her ears. What is the best flea preventative for cats? I use Frontline on Chloe only when she needs it. I give her garlic pills a couple times a month in the winter if I saw a flea. When I was working in the vet clinics I always saw cats come in that had reactions to flea preventative. I do know a lot of these cats were reacting to Sergent's products. Bought at Wal-Mart or a similar place. I would never use these products. I haven't seen any fleas, just felt the flea dirt. Wondering what is a good preventative.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Blunt is gorgeous and I hope to see much more of her. I've been using Advantage on my cats for many years now. I actually buy the largest dog one online and then I measure it out for my cats according to weight and this saves me a lot of money. My former vet actually recommended this to me because the ingredients are the same in both the cat and dog advantage. Now the advantage multi might be different though. Good luck.

Blue Buffalo, Wellness or Royal Canin are your best bets. Specifically Royal Canin as they have done a TON of research, design kibbles for specific cat breeds based on the type of teeth they have, and have specific dietary formulas for a whole range of different health problems, picky eaters, health and beauty etc. My kittens will not eat anything else. It is expensive. A few dollars more than Wellness but definately worth it. I can show you photos of my felines if you'd like to see what their coats look like.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

I didn't know royal canin made cat food. Yeah, if you wanna show me their coats. I may end up trying it sometime.

I've been having quite a bit of trouble uploading photos to Pet Talk lately so I'll try to upload as many as I can. Anyway, no other cat food company has done as much research as Royal Canin has. Also, a lot of their foods are made specifically to prohibit the formula of both types of urinary stones in cats.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Well unfortunately I don't have very many photos of my cats now that I think about it. lol. I really should take some more!!!

And before anyone says anything, lol, yes Ickeris is a fatty and needs to go on a diet. He is a neighborhood slut and loves to get treats from everyone. Unfortunately since he was feral when I got him, it is pretty much impossible to keep him indoors. Once we move he'll be indoors only and he'll just have to get used to it!

As you can see, Ickeris is a long haired cat. He has NO mats, his hair is very soft. He resembles a small lion with his mane. Peaches, my curly haired kitten is very soft for a curly wirey haired cat. Meow Meow is extremely healthy as well. Look at how clean and clear their eyes are. These are all things you want to look for as far as health goes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ickeris.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	46259   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	meow meow.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	46260   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	peaches.bmp 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	46261   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	icky2.bmp 
Views:	56 
Size:	711.4 KB 
ID:	46262   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	icky3.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	46263  

Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

Your kitties are very pretty and yes, they all look very healthy and alert. Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by columbine View Post
    Smudge says "Gray cats are the best!"

Love, Columbine
    Cassie agrees one hundred percent! Blunt is beautiful!

When I brought Cassie home from the shelter, she had been fed wet food two times a day. No dry food ever. The vet told me to continue wet food two times a day but also to free feed dry food. As she has gotten older I have gradually switched to feeding her three times a day, smaller amounts. She tended to "snarf and barf" when I was only feeding her two times a day. I've also noticed that she eats less dry food as she gets older.

My next-door neighbor has two purebred Siamese cats and she feeds them only Royal Canin. She also boils water and then refrigerates it before she puts it in their dish. I'm not sure why but we have really hard water so that might be part of it.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Gorgeous kitty!!! Looks alot like my Bear!

Whatever food you go with, stick with the same brand. If you do alot of switching and there's ever an allergy problem, you'll never know which food might have caused it which will delay solving the problem.

Good brands that I have personally used over the years: Science Diet (Hills), Iams, Purina One, Pro Plan, Royal Canin, & Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers Soul.

For flea protection I use Revolution for Cats on my own kitties. It not only gets fleas, but also takes care of a couple types of intestinal worms, earmites, and is also a heartworm preventative. It's a topical you put on the back of their neck and get from your vet. I've been happier with it than Frontline. It has a much smaller volume of liquid, which also makes the kitties happier since they don't like having wet spots on their fur an don't like to sit still for very long to apply it. Never had any issues using it in several years on my cats. Think we only ever had 1 cat of all the ones at the hospital that had an issue with it, and we have ALOT of cats on that product.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022