View Poll Results: What do you think is causing this behavior?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jealousy

7 87.50%
  • Separation anxiety

0 0%
  • Just being friendly

0 0%
  • Just very playful

2 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Hey, Jealousy

Question Hey, Jealousy

I have a year and 4 month male Golden Retriever. About a month ago, we added a female Golden puppy to our family. Misty is currently just a little over 3 months old.
    We decided to get a second dog so that Kody had someone to play with. We were pleased when they started interacting with each other- first by playing tug, then by play-fighting each other and playfully chasing each other around the house. They have so much fun together!
    However, I am starting to suspect that Kody is jealous of Misty. Every time one of us bends down to pet Misty or picks her up to hold her, Kody tries to push her out of the way. If we put Misty down, Kody "fights" with her until she forgets about us and walks away. I didn't think anything of it at first since they play all the time, but as it kept happening and his playing got rougher and he was quicker to react when we showed her any sort of attention, I am now starting to suspect that there's more to it than just cooincidentially-timed play.
    Have any of you had this issue before when adding a new pup to your family? Do you have any suggestions on how to help break this habit? So far, the only way I've been able to stop it is by holding Kody's collar for about 30 seconds after I put Misty down. I've also found myself sneaking around, trying to pick Misty up or pet her when he's not looking or in another room.
    Know that I do spend individual time with each dog. When I take one somewhere, I'll take the other somewhere else the same day. I love on and pet both of them frequently- it's not at all that he's neglected or anything. They are both spoiled rotton with a plethra of love, attention, and lots of toys.
    Do you think it's jealousy? If so, any ideas on how to stop it?

All of my kids have paws

Check out my puppy blog: http://www.blogger.com/profile/03459239028021586699

GoldenLover,

Gees, is what you're saying ringing bells here in this house !!!

I have the VERY same problem. Only a few months ago, I decided the same as you, get my Male Yorkie Snickers a playmate, and that was Becca (a Female Yorkie). Their pics below.

In your Poll, I voted "Jealousy"... but, (with second thoughts now) I'm not entirely sure that is a completely accurate term, for the condition I see Snickers demonstrating. We got him two years ago, and he has been our only Pet for that period. So, all the "love and attention" was devoted to him, during that period.

There are a lot of details I could go into here, but, I don't want to make this my Thread, it's yours !

Anyhow, it's possible that there may be a feeling of "abandonment", had you considered that being his (Kody's) "viewpoint", rather than jealousy ? In other words, he's not fighting her, but his perception of departure from you.

Have a good Day !
    S.W.
    Last edited by SWHouston; 11-06-2010 at 10:03 AM.
    Sneakers, Becca, Ichabod & NA'vi

Dogs know that you love them, whether you own them or not
    If you’re not watching FREE TV, you should be !

What you just mentioned happens with my dogs but without fighting my american bulldog doesn't like me giving any attention to my other two dogs whenever he's around he doesn't get aggressive but whenever i pet one of my other dogs he comes pushes them away with his body and sits on my feet like he's protesting and wont move an inch although all 3 dogs get the same affection and each one of them has their alone time with me in order to be fair and not neglect any of them. couldn't really figure out how to stop him from doing that fearing that one day it could turn into aggression not wanting a fight to break out between my dogs.

I read once online a situation just like yours what the trainer did was get the dogs on down and stay commands went over to the dominant dog 1st gave him affection then goes to the other and does the same while keeping them at a distance from each other on the down and stay command and asked the owners to keep doing this till the aggression is gone or to a lower rate. Not sure if it worked though!

Sorry for the long reply but i do understand you being worried about all what's happening i worry everyday about a bloody fight breaking out.

Smile Hey, that's MY Mom! Not YOURS!

I agree with Mooshi on how to correct or try to correct the situation.

I am NOT an authority on dogs. You may want to contact a professional dog trainer for some advice.

I see my dog, while at the dog park, and once I start petting other dogs, my dog comes running over, then other dogs begin to do the same, if I have taken the time to pet them too. Sometimes one dog latches on to me for some odd reason and claims me as their's. Prue, my dog, tries to face her way into my hands, to avoid having another dog have my touch. Prue is sweet about it, so it isn't a big deal. I have only one dog.

I can see that if your situation keeps up, it may end up escalating to the point of permanent behavior.

Do you own these dogs by yourself? If there are two of you, maybe you could both be with the dogs at the same time - one on one - and then switch off from event to event.

I really would consider contacting a good, professional dog trainer. I am sure they have seen this behavior before. It sounds like something that would happen more often than not.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by sasvermont View Post
    Do you own these dogs by yourself? If there are two of you, maybe you could both be with the dogs at the same time - one on one - and then switch off from event to event.
    No, my husband and I own them, but he works third shift and I work first, so we are seldom together with them at the same time :-( As a result, it's usually just me handling the little monsters in the evening ;-)

All of my kids have paws

Quote Originally Posted by Mooshi View Post
    I read once online a situation just like yours what the trainer did was get the dogs on down and stay commands went over to the dominant dog 1st gave him affection then goes to the other and does the same while keeping them at a distance from each other on the down and stay command and asked the owners to keep doing this till the aggression is gone or to a lower rate.
    Here's the thing with that though- the 3 month old does know "sit", but it's shaky. When she's excited or Kody's trying to play-fight with her, the sit command sort of goes out the window. She doesn't know "stay" yet, so even if she does sit, it is very short lived. I am working on training her every day, but at this time, that technique wouldn't work for us because I can't get the smaller one to stay sitting while I love on the older one. Usually the only way I get time in with him is if he jumps up on the couch (Misty can hardly jump up there quite yet), and the only way I get time in with Misty is if I pick her up (which isn't going to be a possibility for much longer- she's growing like a horse! lol ;-) Either way, as she grows, neither of the ways I do it now are going to be possible.

Can't puppies just stay puppies forever?

All of my kids have paws