Thread: Hanna - hernia

Hanna - hernia

Help, I'm panicking here. Hanna just got spayed on Wed, she has been doing well. I have been checking the stitches/the area frequently and all looked well - until today. I'm pretty sure she has a hernia right by the stitches. Is this an emergency situation? Should I call the vet now? It is Sunday , can it wait until tomorrow morning?

My dog, Reggie, has had a hernia since he was born.....9 years ago....but of course, he's not a cat, and I don't know if it's the same kind of hernia that Hanna has. Sorry I'm not much help.

the only way that a recently spayed cat can be injured from a spay operation is if she did some unnecessary stretching, running and the like. What is there about the incision that makes your believe that she is in trouble?

..........wayne

THere is a big, hard lump next to her stitches that was't there before. She has been a little over-active, my fault totally.

My vet has instructions for her clients to call a nearby emergency vet on weekends - I've been trying, the number is busy.

I'm worried because it is so soon after her spay.

I got through to the emergency vet. The ytold me as long as it's not oozing out of the sutures, and she is eating and drinking, she should be OK til morning. I'm freaking out, why do these things always happen on the weekends?

I'm glad you finally got through. This has got to be frightening for you. How is she feeling now?
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Poor Hanna and Boscibo! I am glad you got ahold of the vet...my little girl Georgia had a very similar experience. She developed the hernia before she was healthy enough to be spayed- weight and age wise..but because of the hernia, she went in early. The vet also told me it wasn't an ER type situation, but one that needs to be addressed. Georgie did fine...weighing in at 3 pounds, pulled through fine, and now is happy as a clam. Her belly does seem to sag more than the others, though...good luck, and all paws and tails crossed here.

She's doing fine - eating drinking, everything is normal. A friend of mine has a kitten this just happened to her's happened on a weekend too. Her poor little kitten had to spend a week at the vet, and wear an elizabethan collar for another week.

It is my fault, I thought she was well enough to play with a furry mouse - she was a little hyper and probably over did it.

My male cat Bo was born with a hernia - he had it fixed when he was neutered. The reason I am so worried about Hanna's is because she was just spayed on Wed., and her stomach is already weakened from that.

But she's acting normal, so I will wait until morning to take her to her usual vet. It's going to be a long night.

I'm so sorry to here about little Hanna. Please don't blame yourself for this. I'm sure she'll be okay though. All fingers and paws are crossed here. Good luck and please keep us posted.

[QUOTE] The ytold me as long as it's not oozing out of the sutures, and she is eating and drinking, she should be OK til morning. QUOTE]
    -----------

just what I was going to say. Gypsy was also just spayed last week, so I have been checking her tummy too.
    -------------
    I'm freaking out, why do these things always happen on the weekends
    I have asked myself that same question many times! I guess it goes with having pets!
    hope your kitty is ok

Please hurry with an update on little bitty Hanna Banana!

I took Hanna to the vet, she thinks it is a slight inflammation of the stitches, not a hernia. So Hanna has a bandage around her middle.

She gets rechecked on Saturday, when I take her in to have the sutures out. I was so worried! Hanna is not happy about the bandage.

Thank you for all the help and concern.

Poor Hanna. Maybe she has a latex allergy? Does she wear a roller pin looking cloth? I hope she will be just fine, and we are sending her some special tux love