Thread: Tiki

Tiki

Tiki passed away Oct 13th. As some of you might now, I just moved from the Faroes to the US and brought my two dogs with me. Unfortunately, Tiki did not make it. I had learned just shortly before I was to leave that her heart was failing and that is most likely what killed her. The stress of traveling probably caused a heart attack. I don't know the exact details though. The airline did offer to do an autopsy but after I learned that she was dead, the last thing I wanted to think about is somebody cutting open her dead body.

It was probably a very irresponsible thing to do, to still decide to put her through all of this traveling despite her condition. But that's the decision I made. I did ask the vet directly if he would recommend I just have her put down immediately, or if I should bring her along and he said there was no reason to expect her to die since she really was in good health otherwise. So yeah... I dunno. On one hand I, of course, feel very guilty about the way she died but on the other hand I know that I most likely would not have been able to live with having her put down when she was relatively ok and then constantly thinking afterwards: "what if she would have made it here?"

... anyway. I just felt like telling someone. I still don't think I've totally processed it and accepted it. I've been so busy thinking about a million other things that it hasn't really started to settle in yet.

I only have Taggart now. I re homed Leo since we couldn't have more than 2 pets, so that also makes me sad but at least I know that he's alive and happy.

She really was the best dog ever. 12 and a half years we spent together. I was just 14 when I got her so that's almost half my life I spent with her. She was my first dog and I'll readily admit that I did billions of mistakes raising her. But somehow she was able to forgive me for that. She was so smart and such a quick learner. I taught her lots of tricks and everybody was always so impressed... but really she taught me more than I could ever have taught her. I'll miss her so much.

Tiki
    Feb 23rd 1998 - Oct 13th 2010

A video of her showing the tricks she knew. Animal Planet contacted me not long ago, asking me to submit this video to one of their shows.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VKCXWmskfQ

I instantly got tears when I saw Tiki's name here. I am so sorry this happened. Tiki is now at the bridge having a great time.

RIP Tiki
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I'm so very sorry. How awful for you.

Rest In Peace Tiki Play hard at the bridge, Sweetheart

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I am so sorry to hear about Tiki. We just lost our dear Scruff today....so I understand your pain. I am sure Scruff and Tiki have already met....and are great pals.....

HUGS.....

"The dog represents all that is best in man." Etienne Charlet

www.rornfp.org

Rest in peace, Tiki, and Varga, do not beat yourself up about this, you checked with the vet, and could not have known. And in any case, she will always be with you, in your heart, no matter where you travel. She's part of you forever.
    I've Been Frosted

So sorry to hear about the loss of Tiki. Do not beat up yourself over what happened. She's at peace and she's happy again, running around at the Rainbow Bridge. She's a part of you, always will be. Keep that in mind. *Hug*
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

I am so very sorry reading about this loss of Tiki. You had a long time together -- that means you have many memories. Hang on to those, the good times.

I'm so sorry to hear about Tiki's passing. She sure was a beautiful girl. RIP sweet Tiki. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

I'm very sorry about Tiki. I believe I would have done the same thing, flying her with me. Don't be too hard on yourself. {hugs} Have fun at the Bridge Tiki.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

I am sorry to hear about Tiki. I always enjoyed seeing your pictures of both of your dogs. They were obviously well loved and cared for. I also agree, if the doctor said she could fly I too would have brought my dogs with me. And it's true, we really do learn more from our first dogs than they do from us. I am sorry you lost her this way. RIP Tiki.

I am so sorry to hear this tragic news about Tiki. She's a gorgeous girl and I always enjoyed pics of Taggart and Her. <3 I am so sorry, though. Your post made me cry. RIP beautiful Tiki.

Thank you everyone for your kind words. The grief still comes and goes but mostly I'm doing fine. I hadn't really cried until the day I posted this and now the whole thing feels a lot more real. Knowing that I'll never see her again hurts beyond words.... But at the same time it's a relief because previously I just couldn't really feel anything at all.