Thread: Cat kisses

Cat kisses

By which I don't mean the slow-blinking kisses I've heard about, I mean when a cat licks your finger or nose.

Would these be considered actual kisses, signs of affection, or are they something else--a taste test, for example, when treats aren't forthcoming?

My cat, Leela, is over ten and she still loves to give me lick-kisses (for lack of a better term). She would rather kiss me than be petted. I think this means she likes me, perhaps regards me as a somewhat dim-witted offspring...

Do lick-kisses mean the same thing as dog kisses?

Do lick-kisses mean the same thing as dog kisses?

Yes and no. They are a sign of affection. They are "grooming" you like they do each other. You just have to make sure they don't turn into bites; but after so many years, I don't think you have to worry about that
    Too many pets? What's that?

Thanks for the info! I have to laugh now--all this time, it's not, "Stop petting me so I can kiss you," it's "Stop petting me so I can make you into a better brush--one that smells just like me!"

I say it is affection sometimes but some say no. Buddy licks me on the inside of my wrist sometimes and also on my ankles if I am wearing shorts or capris. I like to think it is affection on his part. I will look at him if he is sitting on my chair with me and say "do you love me Bubba" (one of his nicknames is Bubba)and hold my wrist out and he will lick me.

Cat groom each other when they like each other and feel close and connected to each other. Take the licks as just this very thing. It's about as close to love as they get, that and marking you with their scent glands. Mac licks me, especially my face. Ming licks my son. Go figure.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!