Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog parks

Dog parks

Now that I have a dog, I have a reason to visit dog park(s). I know of only one about 35 minutes away from my home. I have really, really enjoyed taking Prue to the park. Most dogs are fun for Prue. There have been a couple of dogs that needed to be taken home within minutes, but luckily not Prue. I have enjoyed meeting the people as well as hearing about their dogs. A whole new world. Can you imagine a "cat park"? Hehehehehehehehehe!

I wish my community had such a thing. I know everyone would appreciate it. The dogs get so socialized, very quickly.

Prue comes home EXHAUSTED! She has been three times and each time she is more relaxed and less fussy about who is sniffing her and where. At first she gave in and would flip over.... now she does the sniffing! You go girl!

Anyway, if anyone has any considerations about dog parks, and I know they are all not fabulous, I highly recommend taking your dog to a park. You know your dog best - it takes a bit of courage to take your dog off the leash and let the dogs take over.

Yea, dog parks! I love them.

We are so fortunate. I would say there are at least 6 parks within 20 minutes from where I live. AND, we just found an off leash nature preserve, which is fantastic! We can hike on this trail, and we run into some people with dogs, some without dogs, and there must be horses, based on the deposits I see time to time. It is so awesome to get out and about with Jasper not on a leash.

I haven't left Prue off leash in the woods....

Hmmmm, the woods.......Prue is just now staying nearby when I walk her off leash. It is hunting season right now and I am so afraid someone will shoot (us) while in the woods. Even "posted" land gets hunters around here, so there is no woods safe for walking. Until the hunting stops, I will travel to the dog park. I have thought about taking a loud radio with me into the woods to play, so that the hunters would know that there was someone around, but who has transistor radios anymore? I don't! I don't even own a boombox......what's that?

And horses, well, Prue would roll in the manure I am afraid. I know she eats it, so I suspect she would also roll in it! Is Jasper that good, that he doesn't bother with the manure?

You can use a long line if there are issues with having the dog free.

Also, check www.meetup.com to see if there is a dog play group near you.

Around here, the dog parks are "controlled" by the large dogs. Small dogs like mine don't fair very well, and at times, do get killed. So we stay away from them. I found a small breed group on meet up, and I know a few places we can go walk where my pups can be free AND safe.

I'm not that familiar with the dog parks in various cities but the one that I have been to has 3 separate areas for dogs. They have small, medium and large dog areas and each one is around 2 acres and heavly wooded with benchs scattered around. I mentioned in another post about Koko freaking on her first visit, I guess because of the smells without any dogs being present. I plan to take her back on a weekend when there may be other dogs around. We normally go to a very large dog event every year so she is very socialize around other dogs. I have several woods areas, other than my own, that we go to often. I usually let her off leash at one of our state parks after we are deep in the woods. We run into an ocassional Hiker or Mountain Biker but there is never a problem because she loves everybody. Most of the Mountain Bikers know her by name since she is a fixture at all of our races. All of the areas that I go are patroled so hunting is not one of my concerns.

I should have specified, this is a no hunting zone.

As for Jasper being well behaved, he is an oddity amongst dogs, I fear. With next to no training, he walks without a Leash about 95 % of the time. I have had people stop us on the street to comment. Odd, really. So, yes, he is well behaved enough not to roll in manure if I tell him not to.

Today's visit

I took Prue to the dog park today. Every time I visit it's different. Today was odd and the dogs were not friendly. I had to correct a few dogs while their owners were standing there like dumb bunnies. I make Prue behave herself when she is dealing with other dogs. I don't allow her to gang up on any one dog - something that happens from time to time in any dog park. I don't want to see anyone get hurt, so I try to make them chill out before the event ends up being ugly.

It was so bad today, that Prue kept trying to get me to pick her up.... to get away from the mean doggies. I don't understand why people think it's ok for their dog to bite the crap out of another dog. I am not talking about playing roughly, I am talking about biting and growling like they mean it.

Prue is not the only dog that gets picked on .... but is often the one that the puppies play with, since she is still puppy like and likes to play like one!!!! She is usually sweet with the puppies too.

I have had some good visits to the park too, when people take care of watching their dogs and make sure they behave nicely.

Don't get me started on the people who bring the children to the park, and let them roam too!

I am glad to hear that you've had some positive visits at the park. That is wonderful for Prue to socialize and play!

Sorry today wasn't a good group. Sigh.

I envy you so much. we have no dog parks around at all. None in other towns either. Council is just now looking into the possibilty of trying to start one but it would be a 45 minute drive from here.

About your dog eating horse manure--absolutely gross but absolutely harmless . According to our vets all dogs are attracted to manure and will eat it. Seems they're only looking for missing enzymes they need .Mine always ate a good snack of horse manure everytime we went to the barn and while I hated it I never tried to stop them since my vet advised me to let them have it. Most people with horses on the street have dogs that eat it also.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

I personally won't take any dogs I have to a dog park, but that's just me.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Since Zoee is not here for three weeks, I took Taggart to the dog park today. Something I normally don't do because I can't handle both dogs with Zoee's leash reactivity.

Taggart had a blast!! This park I have only had one bad experience at. Zoee and another dog got into it and the other owner made me feel like it was all my dogs fault. We left shortly after that. But usually all owners are very attentive to their dog(s) or don't mind if another owner steps in to correct their dog. Today this little Pit Bull puppy that looks like it was mixed with English Bulldog was being ganged up on. One dog was biting his neck (not hard at all) and then other dogs were mounting him. Taggart saw that and decided to join in. I don't think so! He was very good and stopped when I told him to.
    Our dog park also has a separate area for small dogs. And if someone brings their small dog on the big dog side they'd better be ready for that dog to get ran over. Taggart and several other dogs were running full speed all around the field.

Don't be discouraged by a bad visit. I was hesitant to return after Zoee's incident. But decided if I saw that dog there (because I'd seen it several times before) we just wouldn't go in.

I love dog parks and wish I could go more often! I am going to try to figure out a way I can take Taggart more even after Zoee comes home.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I can't wait for our yukky weather to break to start taking Mz Logan back to the dog park. It tends to get really muddy and dirty. There's one closer to use, but I've never been there. We got to know some amazing people and dogs at the "muddy" one, so that's where we go. There's 2 seperate enclosures, for large dogs, and those less than 25 pounds. Mz Logan hates being the sniffee but not the sniffer. The other dogs don't bother her (she has attitude but no biting or growling) but if someone does bring a smaller dog to the big side, she "adopts" it and is relentless, following it around. (I think she would have nade a great mom)

The dog owners, although talking etc, are right on top of things. If a newbie comes with a aggressive dog, they are told to leave. There was a guy with 3 huge, vicous dogs, who had it in for one poor, lovely boxer, and he hasn't been back. I love it there. It's an oasis for me. Socializing with wonderful people, beautiful dogs. Mz Logan may not run with the pack, but she trots around and uses up energy. Yay for spring!

I've been Boooo'd!

one of the biggest perks about living in Colorado is the local dog parks! My roomie and I live about 30 min away from this GIANT off leash dog park that's also a state park. We went there on Saturday and it was 80 degrees and it was packkkkked with happy pups, there's a giant reservoir where they can swim and run up and down this dirt hill. Not only do the dogs love it but we do too, there's nothing better then some exercised tired dogs at the end of a long day!

I would never take my small dogs to our dog park. There is not a separate section for small dogs, and there's no way I'm taking that risk. I know a lot of people love dog parks, though.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Took both of mine and my mom's dog this weekend. Autumn enjoyed swimming in the ice water and all three came out of the park head to toe in mud and had to be wiped down before getting into the car. Then it was bath time back home. Didn't get pictures but I'm talking dark brown slimey mud. The snow has just melted.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton