Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need your opinions on Nutro cat food

I need your opinions on Nutro cat food

I was at Pet Smart today and was trying, again, to find a food that would be healthy and put weight on Mac, yet not be to Ming's liking so that Ming would not gobble it up. (it is hard to feed them seperately at my place). Anyway, one of the employees there recommended Nutro Natural Choice canned food. I read the ingredients and it passed muster there, but I was afraid that it would taste too good and that Ming would eat it all. Still, I definitely want to upgrade my wet cat food, so I bought 4 cans as a kind of sample test. Well, Mac LOVES the stuff! Better yet, Ming hates it! (he will eat nothing but junk!) Mac eats some, leaves, goes back and eats more, leaves, returns for more, and so on. I have never seen him love a food so much. I just want to know how it stacks up as a quality food. I know it's better than what I have been feeding, but how good is it really? Anyone have any info on this?
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

I've never fed the canned Nutro to my cats before so I don't even know what the ingredients are. A long time ago I used to feed them the Nutro Complete Care dry food. I'm sure it's got to be better than Friskies or Fancy Feast which most people consider to be junk food for cats. The better quality foods always have real meat as the first ingredient and no corn. I think there are some websites where you can put in your food info and compare it to other brands. At least Mac seems to love it while Ming doesn't so that's a good start.

Well, the first four or five ingredients are meat, not meat by-products, so that much is good. They also had Wellness there, so I think I will try that, too. I know that food is good, it's just that they were never crazy about it, but maybe now that he has had a taste of the good stuff....

Quote Originally Posted by katladyd View Post
    Well, the first four or five ingredients are meat, not meat by-products, so that much is good. They also had Wellness there, so I think I will try that, too. I know that food is good, it's just that they were never crazy about it, but maybe now that he has had a taste of the good stuff....
    Yes,try some of the Wellness canned as well. My Pearl is a picky eater and even she loves it. I've been buying the Chicken, Chicken & Herring, Turkey, and Turkey & Salmon flavored ones and they're all grain free and have 10% protein in them which is great too.

Max Nutro is what I tried on my cats. They didn't care for it.

I find Blue "Wilderness" works best for my cats. You've really got to read the labels for ingredients. Wilderness cat food is high in protein and first ingredient on list is CHICKEN. Not Chicken Meal By-Product Meal. All natural ingreients. My cats love it and don't eat as much. A big bag is $33. One bag with 6 cats lasts me a month. I also give them canned as a treat.

I've noticed my cats coats are shinier and healthier. RB MooShoo lost weight on it.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

You can read this cat food rating chart:
    http://www.petfoodratings.net/cattable.html

Click on the food name for the detailed review.

I had to laugh, reading your explanation. The things we do for our pets . . . looking for a quality food one cat HATES, ha haaa. Only another multi cat owner would understand . . . . .

I use Nutro canned along with Blue canned. My cats enjoy them both, actually eat the food and not just the juice.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Quote Originally Posted by mrspunkysmom View Post
    I use Nutro canned along with Blue canned. My cats enjoy them both, actually eat the food and not just the juice.
    I know what you mean. Ming will eat most of his Fancy Feast (which after reading how bad it is I will change!) while Mac just lapped up the juice on some of them. I'm going to try some Wellness, too. Maybe they will both eat that and things will be even. Those of you with one cat are missing ALL the fun!

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom View Post
    Max Nutro is what I tried on my cats. They didn't care for it.

I find Blue "Wilderness" works best for my cats. You've really got to read the labels for ingredients. Wilderness cat food is high in protein and first ingredient on list is CHICKEN. Not Chicken Meal By-Product Meal. All natural ingreients. My cats love it and don't eat as much. A big bag is $33. One bag with 6 cats lasts me a month. I also give them canned as a treat.

I've noticed my cats coats are shinier and healthier. RB MooShoo lost weight on it.
    I trust you, Donna, so I went out and bought a 2 lb. bag of Blue "Wilderness", duck flavor, and both boys LOVE it! Thank you for the tip. Thank you to everyone who responded, also. I bought some Blue "Wilderness" canned, too. It was so nice to see the boys savor their meal, not just eat it.

Yes, it can be difficult in a multi-cat household to find one brand of cat food that everyone will like. It can also be very hard once cats have been used to eating foods like Fancy Feast, Meow Mix, or Friskies to convert them over to higher quality foods that are much better for them. I guess it would be like a person giving up hamburgers and french fries for eating something healthy like a broiled skinless chicken breast and broccoli.

I have to feed my kittens in the bathroom and I still have a feeling that Alani is stealing some of Blaze's food. Blaze is smaller and much thinner than Alani. I've tried separating them but then Alani will cry and he won't eat so I know how hard it can be to separate cats during feeding time. My other cats all eat in the kitchen or dining room area and they each have their own mats. I just have to watch to make sure that Ziggy won't steal any of their food.

I hope that Blue "Wilderness" will work out well for your cats and keep them healthy. Good luck.

Okay guys, it has been almost one week since I started feeding my boys "the good stuff". The change has been amazing! Mac is finally starting to put on weight and his fur is starting to get softer and more shiny (just a little but it's a start). Ming has adjusted to the new food and his dandruff problem is starting to clear up (he has always had dry skin and some dandruff). The energy levels are going up, but more amazing of all is that MAC HASN'T PUKED IN A WEEK! This is a cat that spilled his dinner at least once a day. I now find no 'surprises' on the carpet. I have been feeding them Blue Wilderness Duck for their dry food and assorted flavors of Wilderness and Nutro canned. This is going to be their diet from now on. Thanks PT!

Quote Originally Posted by katladyd View Post
    Okay guys, it has been almost one week since I started feeding my boys "the good stuff". The change has been amazing! Mac is finally starting to put on weight and his fur is starting to get softer and more shiny (just a little but it's a start). Ming has adjusted to the new food and his dandruff problem is starting to clear up (he has always had dry skin and some dandruff). The energy levels are going up, but more amazing of all is that MAC HASN'T PUKED IN A WEEK! This is a cat that spilled his dinner at least once a day. I now find no 'surprises' on the carpet. I have been feeding them Blue Wilderness Duck for their dry food and assorted flavors of Wilderness and Nutro canned. This is going to be their diet from now on. Thanks PT!
    This is wonderful news!!! I looked up the website for Blue "Wilderness" and it sounds like a very good food. It's also grain free so I bet this is helping to keep Mac from throwing up and it'll also help their energry levels because it has a lot of good protein in it. You'll soon have 2 big kittens again and healthier ones at that. I hope they both continue to do well on their new diet.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    You can read this cat food rating chart:
    http://www.petfoodratings.net/cattable.html

Click on the food name for the detailed review.

I had to laugh, reading your explanation. The things we do for our pets . . . looking for a quality food one cat HATES, ha haaa. Only another multi cat owner would understand . . . . .
    Interesting website! I had to wonder, though - it mentions brewer's yeast as an "alcohol production byproduct." Guess the webmaster's never shopped in a health food store.

Anyway, from your description, it sounds like the food you picked was exactly what was needed for your cats' situation!

Love, Columbine

It's been a week and a half, and still no puke. Ming was a bit hesitant about "new food" for a couple of days, but now they both chow down on the "good stuff"! They both LOVE the Blue Wilderness Duck dry food. They prefer the Nutro canned food. Guess what? Petsmart is starting to carry Wellness! I bought a can of that to see how it went. I haven't fed it to them yet, but if they like it, they will be getting that, too.

This is great news. I don't know if you have any Pet Clubs close to you but I've found that they have the cheapest price on Wellness canned cat food. Pet Club is like a Costco for pets. Petco and Pet Food Express also carry the canned food but I think it's a bit more than Petsmarts. Good luck.