Thread: Prayers for my mom's cat

Prayers for my mom's cat

Please pray for my mom's 12 year old cat Torry.

Torry got her 3 year booster vaccinations for CVR/Calici and FELV (distemper combo and leukemia) yesterday. It's not uncommon for Torry or my own cats to be sluggish and lethargic after the Calici vaccination so I warned mom about that and to keep an eye on her kitty. Several of mine had it last week and were lethargic for about a day, then back to normal.

She said Torry was normal until about 4p.m. yesterday then went up in her favorite chair and slept there all night. Normally Torry sleeps with my mom. Torry didn't get up to use the litterbox, eat or drink. Mom could only get her to eat a couple treats and lick up a teaspoon of milk. She stayed in the chair all day today until mom prodded her out of the chair this afternoon. Torry was walking with a bad limp. She has arthritis (and she's badly overweight) anyway but mom was worried so she called me.

I went over there this evening and Torry wasn't acting like she was sluggish from the Calici anymore but indeed did have a bad limp, almost not putting weight on the leg at all, then only walking a few steps before laying down again for a bit. The leg she's limping on is the same one she got the FELV vaccination in.

Torry has had this vaccine before, and I've not seen cats react this bad from that vaccine before. I'm not sure if Torry maybe just laid around from the Calici vaccine so long that her arthritis flared up more, or if she jumped wrong on or off something and pulled a muscle, or if this is something serious associated with the vaccine.

I did manage to get her to eat a fair amount of her normal cat food, but she wouldn't drink for me and she climbed out of the litterbox when I put her in there. I put her on mom's bed with the mattress pad on thinking the heat might help if her muscles were just tender from the shot, but mom texted me later saying Torry went back up in her chair again.

Torry is a tortishell and can be VERY ornery/aggressive (the big boss was nice enough to come to mom's house for the vaccination because she's unhandle-able to bring in) so I wasn't able to get as good of a feel of her as I would have liked. It seemed to be in her muscle more than her joint that was the most painful. She acts tired but is responsive to things, will eat just not drink yet.

I'm going to ask the boss tomorrow if this is something that will pass or if he needs to come over to look at her, or if we need to think about tranquiling her and get x-rays or something. Mom is supposed to call me in the morning with a progress report.

Sometimes working for a vet makes you know just enough to scare yourself to death sometimes thinking of all the worst case scenarios.

I'll post tomorrow when I know more.

Can you all please keep Torry in your prayers for us? We'd appreciate it, thank you.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I'm saying prayers for Torry - she is a beauty! I hope she is doing better today. My nephew had the same thing happen to his cat when he took her in for her yearly check-up and shots. She could not go up the stairs, and her leg was sore for a time but is now better. I was wondering what is Torry's age, and is she an indoor kitty? Also, what is the CVR/Calici shot? Thanks - sorry for so many questions. Hoping Torry is better today.

Torry truly is a beauty and, of course, prayers are going up right now for her. Keep the faythe.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

That is a beautiful photo of Torri! My what a stunner she is!

Prayers from RI for Torri.

Once I stopped doing feral cat rescue, my vet recommended not giving the FeLV vaccine any more (my cats are all indoor only).

Prayers for Torry to feel much better soon. Hoping it's something minor
    that will pass.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Thank you all so much for the prayers and thoughts. It's much appreciated!!

Sorry for the delay in the update, I just had too much going on to have time to get online yesterday.

I asked my boss Wed. and he said that most likely Torry being older was more slowed down by the vaccinations than usual (she was never this slow in the past), and that she probably felt achey from laying around and might have had some soreness in her aging muscles. He had said if it was still a problem Thurs. then he'd have to take a look at her. He also said when she's due in 3 years for the next round of those vaccines we may want to split them up so she isn't getting them all at the same time.

Mom called Wed. morning to say that Torry had gotten up on her bed during the night to sleep with her, used her sandbox, ate and drank some overnight. Also she was limping only a little.

Mom called Wed. eve. and said other than Torry being just a tiny bit slower than normal, she was acting like her old self. No limping (other than her normal arthritis gimp), eating fine, using her sandbox no problem, playing, using her scratching post, getting on mom's lap, looking out the windows, and jogging through the house.

I checked in with her again today and Torry is totally acting like her normal self.

TommyCat - Your questions are fine, no fear. Torry is strictly an indoor only kitty now, although she was and indoor/outdoor kitty before mom adopted her. You must have missed where I posted that Torry is 12 years old.

CVR is our acronymn at work for feline distemper combo (distemper, rhinotracheitis, and panleukopenia).

Calici is short for the Calicivirus (FS-FCV). The one we use is for the virulent strain, it's a newer vaccine for a newer strain.

If you click on the underlined diseases it will take you to a page that tells you a bit more about each disease.

Because of where I work and going over to mom's house having a minimal risk, we keep Torry vaccinated for a couple more things than we would a regular 12 year old indoor only kitty.

I know PT prayers work and I thank you all again for praying for Torry!

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

All the prayers did help! I was so happy to read she is back to her young/older self. She is so pretty Maybe she can skip the vaccines now...since she had such a bad time with the last series..and she is strictly an indoor girl..just a thought!

Hi Catlady,
    I'm so happy that your Mom's cat, torry, is feeling better. Thank you, too, for the links describing the vaccinations and their purpose. That helps me a great deal as my 12 year old kitty is due next month for her senior exam. I can imagine your Mom's relief once Torry started getting back to normal with the sandbox and sleeping on the bed. Hugs and skritches to Torry.

Well now, that's good news! Yay!
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

It's good to hear that Torry is feeling so much better now. Perhaps
    your mom could forego future vacs. since she is an indoor cat. If you took
    some precautions like changing your shoes before you visit (if you're coming
    from work) What do you think? Getting older can be the pits sometimes.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

So glad to learn Torry is feeling so much better now. Keep on keeping on, sweetie!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery