Thread: What to do?

Hybrid View

What to do?

We have a problem. Pinot is essentially an indoor kitty. As many of you know, she has "romps" in the garden, which are well supervised. She occasionally catches wildlife, but just "gifts" it to her Mom, nothing serious.

The problem....
    The family across the way have three kitties and a dog. The dog (buddy) is on a leash, no problem there. The kitties are all turned loose at night. I've never been a big fan of this; it's also against the law in this county and against the neighborhood covenants. That being said...we have one of the kitties that has decided to make late night visits to Pinot at the back basement (and deck level) slider door. Pinot goes BALLISTIC! We have to bring her upstairs several times before she calms down. No one in this house is used to this - it's pretty calm around here.

Our relationship with these people is really cordial, their kids love it over here, what to do? How do you tell someone to keep their cats in? Our other neighbor, Dan (who has two indoor kitties), has also reported his birdfeeders (which he's very fond of) have been terrorized by the neighbor kitties. I don't want to cause a problem, but....
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

I would talk to them tomorrow, mention the rule against cats being outside at night, and explain it is causing problems for you, as well as other neighbors. Ask why they don't keep them in, and if it's allergies, or whatever the excuse, offer alternatives - basement for the evening, or cats not allowed in bedroom, or gated into the kitchen/bathroom - whatever seems appropriate!
    I've Been Frosted

I agree with Karen. You have to let them know that their cats are causing problems and that as you said it's against the law in your county and against your neighborhood covenants. Hopefully they'll understand and keep their cats indoors from now on. Good luck.

We have some Big Toms who come to visit the feeding stations.
    Theres Sir Lawrence the Tabby, Spunky Moose the Deuce the Gray Tabby and Colossolus the Huge Reddish Brown Cat as well as Pouncer Roccalno and the Shadow Porchies who come at night.
    I would prefer that the really hungry Cats get the food, but these people are pt heads in the sad sense and don't care.
    Good Luck with your roaming Cats problem!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I'm with Karen- let the law and your neighborhood covenant be "the bad guy".

Could you please give Pinot a big hug from me, too?
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

***sigh***

OK, so Coop mentioned the grey kitty to the neighbor, they seem to have taken care of that kitty.

We were away this weekend, came back this afternoon, we're relaxing watching football, and howling commences at the kitchen slider door (which is open to the screen). I came in, turned the light on (expecting fully to see the grey one), lo and behold, THERE'S A TABBY ON THE DECK!! A very VOCAL tabby! Our neighbor doesn't own a tabby. Chased that one away...

Coop came down and said, "you know, hon, this is your fault." "These kitties hear about the Catmobile trips, they just want to come along and have fun. They hear about Pinot, know she's the queen of the household & they want to meet her."
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

At least your hubby has a good sense of humour! Is the the tabby friendly? Any idea where he came from yet?
    Lilith Cherry
    "
    "Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Mahatma Gandhi

Perhaps Pinot needs to grant "royal summons" where select kitties are given an audience with Queen Pinot?