Thread: I feel a little silly asking this....

I feel a little silly asking this....

The vet told us our baby is a male.

However, tonight Proton started displaying some weird behavior that
    I've never seen in a male cat before.

My BF and I were playing with Proton then suddenly he started doing
    this weird meow/purr and putting his bum in the air.
    My BF exclaimed suddenly, "I think Proton may be a little girl!"

I looked up some pictures online...and I think Proton has the vertical
    slit that is supposed to indicate female cat but I'm not sure.

Has anyone ever encountered that kind of behavior in a male kitten/cat?

Again: Proton is rubbing his face on everything especially my BF's hands, making a weird vocalization he has never made before, bum is in the air with tail up exposing his anus and genitals.

Sorry if I seem silly asking this.

The opening is closer to the anus in a female than in a male, but even a half-blind vet should be able to tell the difference.

how old is proton?

It sounds like he was doing what we call the "elevator butt" here. Both my males and females will do this when I scratch their back end towards their tail. Sky really sticks his butt into the air very high. All of my cats are spayed & neutered so it's not a sexual thing. It may be an errogenous zone though because they go crazy and really enjoy being scratched here. I'll attach a picture of Sky showing you the "elevator butt".
    Attached Images Attached Images  

yeah my dearly-departed Montego would make funny faces and lick the air when you scratched him in front of his tail. We always called it "goofy kitty face"

No need to feel silly asking this. If your vet can't tell, who can! I hope he/she is more skilled when it comes to illnesses in animals.

My Fister does the Elavator butt also when I stroke him on his lower back - it's quite normal.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

My boyfriend and I are almost 100 percent sure that Proton is a female.

For one-when we looked up pictures online the genitals look female to us
    Two- My boyfriend has seen the behavior of a female cat in heat before and
    says Proton's is similar. (Sticking the butt in the air even when she/he
    being touched, meowing incessantly.)

So, I am going to do some research find a vet and get her/him spayed or possibly neutered...I feel so weird not knowing for sure. But we still love little Proton no matter what!!!

just go to another vet for a 2nd opinion.

Ok can you get a pic of your baby's rear end & post?? Then we can all tell you which it is..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Years ago I had a fluffy gray kitty and the vet told me it was a female. When I took her in for spay, the vet opened her up to take out the female parts - didn't find any. Then he looked under the tail and saw the male genitals. His explanation? "He's got a lot of fur." Poor cat had both abdominal incision and a sore butt.

If your cat is not neutered the easiest way is to feel down there and see if you feel 2 little fuzzy peanuts. My husband claims this is 'rude' but honestly I find it the easiest way to sex older kittens.

Honestly with very furry and extremely young kittens it can be difficult to tell. If the cat was seen by the vet at a very young age and has alot of fur it wouldn't surprise me if the vet had trouble sexing the kitten.

Now if the kitten is older and not particularly furry then any vet should be able to correctly sex the kitten barring any weird things like undecended testicals.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I adopted "Milky Way" from the local shelter, and was told he needed to be neutered before I could take him home.

I arrived to take him home, and was told, "the operation was great! She's in fine shape!"

I said, "She?? Are you sure the operation didn't go too far?"

Turns out "he" was "she" the whole time. "She" became "Leela" and has been with me for nearly 10 years.

Some cats have Siamese in them. Meezers (knickname) are very vocal. So it could be that, unless you take your kitty to the vet to rule out any medical problems, I'd say your precious baby has alot to say!!! Your baby also may be trying to tell you she wants loving.

I've got a Meezer mix (Seal Lynx Pt Torbie) that was rescued from a dumpster with her mama and brother, in the San Juan, PR airport. She's VERY vocal. If I don't get outta bed and feed her when SHE demands, she'll sit on my stomach as I'm trying to sleep, stare at me and make this pathetic whine. Roll over and go back to sleep??? Oh hell no!!! If I roll away from her, she follows me. Very demanding little girl, but I adore her.

It could be that your little "boy's" testicles haven't dropped yet and can't be seen. That's what's happening with my Butchie.

Either way, love that baby like no other!!!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by karlyb View Post
    Years ago I had a fluffy gray kitty and the vet told me it was a female. When I took her in for spay, the vet opened her up to take out the female parts - didn't find any. Then he looked under the tail and saw the male genitals. His explanation? "He's got a lot of fur." Poor cat had both abdominal incision and a sore butt.
    Our "little" Runt had both an abdominal incision and a sore butt, but he had a cryptorchid (one testicle didn't drop)

The way we tell boy from girl: spot = boy, slot = girl
    For some reason, we (personally) are able to tell better if we hold them on their back, in our hand, and look at their butt "upsidedown"
    Obviously this method works easier with kittens
    Too many pets? What's that?