Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Discussion thread - the right to choose life

Discussion thread - the right to choose life

I was watching an episode of SVU and came across this idea for a great discussion. My DH and I just had a very good one about it.

Should we have the right to choose life or death when seriously ill? If you know you have an incurable disease and we are at the point where all you feel is pain, nothing helps, and all enjoyment of life is gone and all that is left is suffering. Should you have the right to choose to die instead of waiting for the disease to prolong your life and suffering?

Personally for me I think we should have the right with restrictions. When we find out about the disease we should have to talk to a psychiatrist about it. SO they can decide if we are making this decision based on a healthy mind and expectation. So say I am diagnosed with an incurrable disease that is going to steadily destroy me(mind and body). We should be able to make a decision about at what point I should be able to self terminate my life. But I have to decide this with a proven healthy mind.

For me I see it as we have more compassion for our pets because we are allowed to choose that for them and end their suffering but yet for people(whom we should love just as much) we are unable to make this decision and instead have to wait till the body gives out even if the mind was gone a long time ago.

There is no wrong answer. Please do not condemn others that might have a differing opinion then you. So what is your thoughts.

It's awful that people need to endure such suffering when they know what they want. Granted, it's not a decision made lightly, but I for one know a few instances where I would not want to live anymore. I think people should be allowed to choose between life or death, especially if death is the only outcome of the situation. It isn't fair to subject people to endless pain, especially if they're going to die anyway. I recall a case where a french women with some type of cancer sued many times over to be euthanized, she unfortunately did not win any of the times but she was obviously suffering a great deal and finally died after 2 years of enduring alot of pain.

Nicole, I like what you said here:

Personally for me I think we should have the right with restrictions. When we find out about the disease we should have to talk to a psychiatrist about it. SO they can decide if we are making this decision based on a healthy mind and expectation. So say I am diagnosed with an incurrable disease that is going to steadily destroy me(mind and body). We should be able to make a decision about at what point I should be able to self terminate my life. But I have to decide this with a proven healthy mind.

For me I see it as we have more compassion for our pets because we are allowed to choose that for them and end their suffering but yet for people(whom we should love just as much) we are unable to make this decision and instead have to wait till the body gives out even if the mind was gone a long time ago.

I agree with what you said about the patient talking with and being evaluated by a psychiatrist before they are allowed to make any decisions. What you said about us being to make the decision on weather or not we euthanize animals, well, a big part of that is they cannot make the decision themselves (obviously). I'm sure some patients suffering from an incurably illness/disease would be grateful if this were a choice that they could make.

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

This might fall under living will as well. Yes for me and for many I know when pain is unbearable, a cure is not forthcoming and I cease to enjoy life and to make those I love happy it is time for me to go.
    Let the money be used for someone else, let me go to where ever I am going.
    Death will come to all. There is no escaping it. So if one can end ones life on a positive note, say their goodbyes and pass along some joy and wisdom yes it is time to go.
    Why wait for what more pain and agony? Let me slip away in the company of loved ones..............
    Actually most people if they are at home and have access to simple over the counter meds can take matters into their own hands.
    As the French say "Sleep a little death"

Euthanasia should not be legalized. It is by no means a solution to human suffering. Though euthanasia is a controversial subject, it is evident that it only disrupts the normal pattern of life and leads toward creating a more violent and abusive society. Life is a gift and not a choice and practices such as euthanasia violate this vital concept of human society.

I have to wonder why such a stupic topic is discussed on what is supposed to be a pet forum???
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

I've been very clear with my son about this. Should I reach the point where I have no quality of life, cannot function on my own, and/or have a terminal illness or injury it's time to let go. I told him not to worry about "pulling the plug" because it's not going in. I do believe we should be given the choice of when to die though I'm not sure it should be done with a mandated psychiatric evaluation. Instead, the individual should discuss this with their family before it becomes an issue and be perfectly clear about what is to be done then prepare a legally binding advance directive.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Asiel View Post
    Euthanasia should not be legalized. It is by no means a solution to human suffering.

We each have our own opinions on this topic and all opinions are valid

Though euthanasia is a controversial subject, it is evident that it only disrupts the normal pattern of life and leads toward creating a more violent and abusive society.

Could you please provide evidence that this is true because I do not see how you come to this conclusion

Life is a gift and not a choice and practices such as euthanasia violate this vital concept of human society.

Agian could you please explain how you come to this conclusion

I have to wonder why such a stupic topic is discussed on what is supposed to be a pet forum???
    To me this is not a stupid topic. Obviously it is an important subject to many. Just because you do not agree with how people feel about this topic is no reason to insult it. And that is why also it is posted in the general secion and not the pet section.

Someone just informed me of this:

http://www.doh.wa.gov/dwda/forms/DWDA_2009.pdf

Washington State actually has this law passed. It is called Death With Dignity Act. The link above is the report of 2009 when it came into effect. It is only allowed for those that are terminally ill and have 6 months or less to live. They are given a set of pills to do it with. I am so glad to see that at least one place has passed something like this.

This saddens me so............
    To hear of this suffering for what purpose, what reason to go on living?
    If you have ever heard the screams of a cancer victim in pain.
    This is America land of the free. We should be free to choose our own time to die and we are indeed able to for no one stops us from ending it at any time. If you want to commit suicide because of mental issues that is different, you can and should be helped.
    But if you suffer from a physical illness, no cure is available and you are suffering the Dr's should be allowed to end your life. It should be an act of mercy to end a man's life if the pain is great and he so wishes it.
    This could be abused by greedy family members wanting inheritance so these things need to be put into writing well before the mind is effected, if possible. There should be therapy with the family and the patients wants and needs come first. If they still choose to end their life they should be able to make it as peaceful as possible with the loved one around them.
    That is my wish for myself. Who else wishes this?
    We hold our beloved cats, dogs and rabbits, birds, hamsters, horses when they are ready to pass, stroke their heads, calm them, tell them of our undying love and let them go to the eternal sleep yet with the people we love, we expect them to stay and suffer so we can have them longer instead of letting them go and letting the pain end.
    I feel that is selfish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alysser View Post
    It's awful that people need to endure such suffering when they know what they want. Granted, it's not a decision made lightly, but I for one know a few instances where I would not want to live anymore. I think people should be allowed to choose between life or death, especially if death is the only outcome of the situation. It isn't fair to subject people to endless pain, especially if they're going to die anyway. I recall a case where a french women with some type of cancer sued many times over to be euthanized, she unfortunately did not win any of the times but she was obviously suffering a great deal and finally died after 2 years of enduring alot of pain.

Please see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sue_Rodriguez

What does one do when the person is too ill to act on their own?
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Perhaps this is something that a Dr should bring up and the family should be brought into early. Maybe it should become hospital policy.
    Like deciding to become an organ donor, or when making out a will.
    Making out a will should be the law, that includes a living will.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleLJ View Post
    Someone just informed me of this:

http://www.doh.wa.gov/dwda/forms/DWDA_2009.pdf

Washington State actually has this law passed. It is called Death With Dignity Act. The link above is the report of 2009 when it came into effect. It is only allowed for those that are terminally ill and have 6 months or less to live. They are given a set of pills to do it with. I am so glad to see that at least one place has passed something like this.
    The State of Oregon passed a Death With Dignity Act in October of 1997. It was passed in a public referendum.

Nicole, this was not a stupid topic for you to post. If there are some who object to it, they can state their objections without raising a ruckus - or, better yet, just say nothing, and back out of the topic.

I am much closer to the end of my life than to the beginning, and I would hope that my wishes would be honored when the time is right. I often think I should get DNR tattooed on my chest. That stands for Do Not Resuscitate for those not familiar with it.

I work in a Doc's office and we get orders from patients all the time with DNR. It makes me kind of sad but we all die in the end and it is their choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Asiel View Post
    Euthanasia should not be legalized. It is by no means a solution to human suffering. Though euthanasia is a controversial subject, it is evident that it only disrupts the normal pattern of life and leads toward creating a more violent and abusive society. Life is a gift and not a choice and practices such as euthanasia violate this vital concept of human society.
    Oh Asiel.....stop being a fuddy duddy. Of course euthanasia it is a solution to human suffering. Who cares about what it does to society ??? What, are we communists ??? Every life is precious, sure, but at the same time, we all have our own opinions and expectations etc etc. Why on this earth would we want laws or churches to make decisions for us based on what they think is right ??? What are they going to do next ??? Tell us exactly when to eat breakfast ???
    Tell me.....how do think it would affect society if someone wanted to end their own life....sick or not ????

Blog Entries
    There are choices to be made. When you are terminally ill. Living wills can extend your life or end them. Both hospitals & rest homes have residents sign a paper saying they either want to be revived or left go. My mom signed a legal document while in a home not to be revived. They went over the consequences of being revived. It was a sad time. She contracted the flu & only lasted 5 days in the home after having a stroke. Really you just never know how it is going to end for you till it ends.