Thread: metronidazole, not having BM?

metronidazole, not having BM?

Hi everybody, my cat finished a 5 day dose of metronidazole last Friday because she was having soft stools. It didn't seem to help so we did BW which came back normal but now I'm worried because my cat hasn't had a BM since Wednesday at 8am. I called the vet and he said that Metro can make them constipated and as long as he's not straining it's ok. I'm worried because he finished the medicine 7 days ago so it doesn't seem like it would cause this problem now. Can anyone give me advice on what to do?

The soft stools could have "emptied" Paulie a bit, so food has to build up again inside him. Is Paulie eating ok?

If he is acting normal and eating, give it another day I would say. When did you call the vet?
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Thanks for your help! I called the vet today at 2:30. Paulie is still eating well and acting fine which is really good, I just wish he would use the litter box. I have a ER vet 5 mins from me so if he is acting strange I will run him right there. How long do you think I should wait before I call and check with the vet again. There is another ER vet about 20mins away and they will let you talk to a tech if you have a question which is really helpful. Thanks so much again for your help!

I'd wait another day, as long as he seems to act normally. Remember, his digestive tract has been through a lot lately, it sometimes takes a little time to get back to normal!
    I've Been Frosted

What is he eating now? If it is all dry kibble, maybe add a bit of broth to it, help him with some fluid intake. NOT A LOT, just a bit.

If he is eating wet food, then just keep track and let him be as he is acting normal.

Thank you for your help everyone. He is just eating dry food right now because we're trying to figure out what he's allergic to and we think it might be somthing in wet food since everytime he eats it he itches more. He does seem to be drinking enough so that's good. I am just praying that he goes tonight or early tomorrow.

You can always soften the dry food with a little warm water, so he gets more moisture that way!
    I've Been Frosted

Thanks for your advice Karen. Paulie finally had a BM after over 60 hours, I was so happy, it was not as soft but it's not tootie roll shape like I hear it's suppsoed to be. The vet is supposed to call us this week with the results from the swab but I'm sure it's negative. he said next we could do an ultrasound. I don't know what to do, do you think stools that aren't shapped like this are a problem? Thanks again for everyone help!