Thread: Small wound on young cat

Small wound on young cat

We have a young cat who is almost a year old. A week ago today, he was injured somehow- we thought he slipped and hurt himself while playing. He was very tender in a spot and would hiss/nip when we tried to touch it- he has never acted like that before. He did not want to play. We locked him up in our room overnight and within 24 hrs he was back to normal- letting us touch the area, playing like normal and eating like normal.

This morning, we found a small oozing wound in the same general area where he was tender last week. He is letting us inspect it and I've seen him licking it a few times. He is acting normal- playing like crazy, eating, etc. I'm concerned if I should try to clean the wound or put anything on it? I don't think he needs a trip to the vet since he is acting normal and I really dislike our vet- I would like to avoid that if possible. Any suggestions?
    Chris

I would get an antisetic, a mild one from your vet, and do your best to keep the wound clean. That and the fact that our Cats are tough, should do the trick
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

How would you suggest keeping it clean?
    Chris

Clean it with a warn wet rage at least 3 times a day.. If he won't let you mess with it try what I did with Boo when she had her abscess.. I put some vaseling on a Q-tip and put that on there... They don't like stuff on them so she licked it off.... cleaning the open wound herself..

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Hey, chrangharris - long time no hear from! When it comes to cleaning, cats are their own best doctors. I'd say keep an eye on it, and if it doesn't show signs of healing, find a NEW vet (ask around).

BTW - the last time I read a post from you folks, I think it was in Cat Health. I don't recall the details, but I hope all worked out well and that you all are happy and healthy!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I use the cloths that you get at some restaurants in a plastic bag, those wet cloths are great for keeping a wound clean.
    If it is bad your Vet should have an anti biotic gel to help clear things up.
    We are all praying that things will be good and the wound a memory soon.
    Scrappy Two had a fine wounds in her younger days, but not recently!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Thanks guys! It has been awhile since I've been on here- we are just super busy!

I ran by the pet store and they had some antibiotic cream for pets. I've trimmed the hair around it a bit so I could see it better and did some cream on it. It is already looking better! Hopefully this will clear it up!
    Chris