Thread: Quick question.

Quick question.

How often do I need to change the filter cartridges for Mongoose's filter? I've never had a filter before this tank and now that I do, I have no idea when to change the cartridge or anything .

Thanks!
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

I tried to never change filter cartridges on smaller tanks. I rinsed them out in the water removed during a weekly water change. On my 125g I used rinse half of the media under the faucet one week and rinse the other half the next week. Only time I would replace media is if I was using charcoal to remove medications from the tank.
    Last edited by blue; 09-21-2010 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Added part in red.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

I rinse mine with used tank water, maybe twice a year if they are lucky. The media in your filter carries all of your beneficial bacteria, so you just want to rinse them with used tank water. Replacing them means going through at least a mini cycle again.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

I rinsed mine weekly, but I had stingrays and South American catfish in my tanks. THe only non cats where a small school of Angels. I pretty much had to rinse my media weekly because plecos, and the pair of sting rays are poop machines.

Ild watch the output on the filter and if it starts slowing, rinse the cartridge/media with tank water. The more good bacteria you have the better. With a single betta once or twice a year depending on the size of the tank.

ETA: If you start to notice a decline in the clarity of water, rinse the media.

ETA ETA:Unless you are on a well, allways rinse with tank water!
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Alright, guys, thanks. It's only like a 1 gallon tank, and I have 3 filter replacements if I need them. But 1-2 times a year with tank water unless my water starts to look funky, can do!

What about water changes??? Do I need to do those like a full water change or half of the water or what?
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan

If you manage to cycle a 1 gallon then you should only need to do partial water changes once a week or so. Maybe less often but you should get a Water Test Kit (drip tests not strips, as strips aren't as accurate) so you can monitor the cycle if you haven't already. If the tank is cycled then you just have to watch for the nirAtes to get too high and that's when you should do a partial water change.

|Dashing Hamsters|

Slave To:
    Sam-Dog
    Lumiel-Hamsters
    Midnight, Ginny, Kiona, & Eevie-Cats

What exactly does cycled mean? I've never done this whole filtered tank thing before, haha
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan

Ill try and find Barbie and Bob's forum for you. Barbie walked me through my first cycle IRL and a few years later sold me her stingrays.

If I remember right, its been a few years, the cycle has to do with fish poop and beneficial bacteria and in the end its dealing with nitrates.

You never want to do a complete water change. In your case you may only want to do a cup of water every 2 weeks week. I used to do a .5 water change a week because of the fish I kept and how much they pooped.

I know there are alot of forums out there in the wide world of the interwebs, but Barbie and bob have dealt with very poopy fish, and Barbs actually got Zebra plecos to breed. If I get back into fish Barbie is my go to gal.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Here are some really great cycling articles:
    Can Someone Explain Cycling to me?
    Cycling
    Nitrogen Cycle
    What is "cycling" and how do I do it?
    What is Cycling?

Some articles on Aquarium Basics:
    http://www.petfish.net/kb/6/

All sorts of articles, even for fish:
    http://www.petfish.net/kb/1/

Oh and a great betta forum:
    http://www.ultimatebettas.com/
    Even if you don't join there is lots of great info on there!

It can be confusing at first but once you get it, it makes fish keeping so much easier!
    Last edited by Christmas_Hamster; 09-23-2010 at 01:15 PM.

|Dashing Hamsters|

Slave To:
    Sam-Dog
    Lumiel-Hamsters
    Midnight, Ginny, Kiona, & Eevie-Cats

Alright guys, thanks. I'll check out these articles later and if I have any more questions, I shall return to this thread
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan