Thread: Concern

Concern

How long does a Rabies vaccination last. Ours had one in 2007 (year), and was overdue on booster - but just had one today ( a 3 year one). He had nipped me the other day - before his appointment and I was just wondering if I should be concerned. I hear that they last longer than the manufacturers suggest. I am watching him and he has no contact with other dogs/animals. Again... should I be concerned. Informed answers only please.

They do last much longer than the manufacturer says... especially if it's not the first vaccine given...
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

I wouldn't be concerned, especially if he isn't acting like he's sick and if he didn't draw blood.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Did you inform the vet BEFORE the vaccination that your dog had nipped you?

Regulations on Rabies vary from state to state as far as whether your vaccination is valid.

In my state if a dog nips/bites (breaking the skin) they have to be given a 10 day quaranteen if they've had a Rabies vaccination before (whether current or overdue). If not then they have to be quaranteened for 6 months!

The vaccine itself is usually good some past the date per manufacturer, however many states do not recognize even 1 day past the due date stated on your vaccination certificate. Where I work will still allow a 3 year vaccination if it's not more than 3 months overdue per manufacturers testing, but our state still won't consider it a valid Rabies in that 3 months inbetween.

Where I work if we are told a dog has bitten anyone within 10 days prior to the Rabies vaccination, we will reschedule them 11 days after the bite to vaccinate per state law. If the owner tells us AFTER the dog has been vaccinated that a bite happened within 10 days, we tear up the certificate and make the vaccination invalid per state law and reschedule for 3 weeks from that date to revaccinate with a valid certificate.

As for whether you're likely to get Rabies from your dog.... If your dog has not had contact with any mammal likely to carry Rabies (bat, skunk, dog, cat, etc) and does not show signs of being sick within 10 days after the bite happened, you are problably safe from Rabies, at least according to my states regulations, however you might still get an infection in the wound and/or require a Tetanus booster shot for yourself.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022