Thread: Cat Fountain - how to keep mildew free???

Cat Fountain - how to keep mildew free???

My cat Noodle loves to drink running water, so I've provided Her Majesty with a cat fountain. However, mildew seems to get around the edge of the pool of water that receives the fountain flow, above the water line.

Anyone have ideas about how to clean or prevent that mildew without using something harmful to kitties? I've tried just soap and water and rinsing well, but that hasn't been enough.

Many thanks for any ideas!
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

How often are you washing the whole thing out?

I have to clean my two fountains once a week, but I also use boiled/filtered water in them, not straight tap water. Never had mildew on mine.

I just use plain dish soap and a sponge to clean them.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Are you putting filtered water in it? I did that when I owned a PetMate. I couldn't figure out where the mold was coming from. So I stopped using filtered water (since the fountain filters it, itself. The mold stopped. I take it apart and clean it once a week. Helps the fountain last longer.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Y'know, I have that problem but only w/one of them. (I have 4.) Seems no matter what I do, I have to clean that one every day.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I don't know about preventing it, but you can probably clean it with a solution of baking soda.

Love, Columbine

We have 4 fountains, 2 med Petmates and 2 large Petmates. Mildew has never been a problem in the last 6 years. We use straight tap water from our well (rock hard) the fountains are cleaned every 3-7 days. The filter is changed every other month. We do have a calcium build up around the bowl and on the sides of the ramp. Thats a pain to clean off, you have to use a course srub pad, but the rest just gets cleaned with as soft scrub pad. Then when the filters are changed they all get a good cleaning with mild dish soap.
    GILL & Crew;

I have not seen in Fister's PetMate, I clean it once week, I take it apart and put vinegar in - I have to because the water has a lot of Calcium. Fister seems to prefer drinking from it when the water has been in for a day, but I top it off in the evening with bottled water from the fridge.

Fister still goes and stand in front of the bathroom door to get me come and turn the tap on - he loves running water, too.

Could it be that you have scratched the surface of it, which might make it stick?

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Like Randi and others above, I only see the hard water/calcium buildup. The more I scrape it off, I think I do tend to scratch the surface and so it looks worse! Could it be you are seeing mineral deposits rather than mold or mildew? It gets rinsed out so often and the water flows, so it does not seem likely to me that mildew could form?

Every so often, I take it all apart and pour bleach on it, then scrub with a toothbrush.

The fountain I have now is a Drinkwell and it has a grey textured surface that tends to look better than the shiny white Petmate fountain. Still gets that gritty water line though! (our water is VERY hard even with a softener!)

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom View Post
    Are you putting filtered water in it? I did that when I owned a PetMate. I couldn't figure out where the mold was coming from. So I stopped using filtered water (since the fountain filters it, itself. The mold stopped. I take it apart and clean it once a week. Helps the fountain last longer.
    Likewise.

Beer?

I pour hot water in every second day , and that helps.
    They love their fountain, and even sleep near them.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS