Thread: What is my mutt?

What is my mutt?

I adopted this little guy from a shelter last week, and I'm curious to hear what people think he might be! It seems everyone has a different idea! The shelter said he was a pointer mix. Each employee at the vet thought he was something different (spaniel, catahoula, heeler, dalmation, etc.). Also, if it helps, he is currently 12-14 weeks and is just about 14 pounds. He is white with both light and dark brown patches. Since I took these pictures a few days ago, he has started getting many new brown speckles all down his back!

http://ottomanpuppy.shutterfly.com/pictures/9#11
    http://ottomanpuppy.shutterfly.com/pictures/9#10
    http://ottomanpuppy.shutterfly.com/pictures/9#12

Here is a description of his personality if that will help in formulating an idea! Otto is very energetic and playful. He loves all other dogs and is always eager to play. Despite his excited puppy attitude, he holds himself back and just sniffs and greets if the other dog doesn't seem interested. If the other dog wants to play, then Otto gets ecstatic and usually mimics the other dog's style of play. When he wants to greet a stranger or play with a dog that is far away, he doesn't pull to get to them, he just sits and stares longingly. He is also very smart. He learned to sit and lie down just by verbal command within 2 days (no treat inducement required). He is also a very loyal little guy. He has attached himself to me pretty thoroughly and tends to ignore other people (my boyfriend-his other owner) if I am in the room. Woah, that was probably a very unnecessarily long description!
    I'd love to hear what people think he might be!

-Sarah

Most certainly - he's a cutie!

Oh, as for breed, I would agree with there being Pointer, and maybe some Blue Heeler in there, but I don't see much Dalmatian. It'll be interesting to see how he grows!
    I've Been Frosted

as Karen said.. Pointer Heeler.. maybe....

both breeds are mostly white with patches and start getting speckles... he sure is a reaaaaal cutie!!!..

as for the pointer it could be german shorthaired one.. for the brown spotting.. who knows..

he kinda reminds me of a baby Niņo.. awwww... (Niņo is another doggie from here )
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

He does look quite a bit like Niņo (I looked up pictures)! I think that a pointer-blue heeler mix is the best guess that I've heard so far! I searched that mix and found a bunch of dogs that have many characteristics in common with Otto. His personality fits with the characteristics of those breeds too. The selective loyalty thing seems to be a Heeler trait. Thanks for your guesses!

-Sarah

He looks like a cow dog to me of some kind with a little pointer and maybe lab. He's cute. Just enjoy him! He has a sweet baby face! I don't see dalmatian either.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

I so aggree too.. Cutie Pie for sure..

Quote Originally Posted by luvofallhorses View Post
    He looks like a cow dog to me of some kind with a little pointer and maybe lab. He's cute. Just enjoy him! He has a sweet baby face! I don't see dalmatian either.

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

It's a blue tic beagle mixed with pointer, flat-coat collie, and of course, lab.

Ah wait, I looked at the other pics and see some American Pit Bull Terrier and some Jack Russel in him... He is mixed with some of these i named off, just I don't know which.

I don't know what he is either but I just wanted to say how cute he is. I love the pic with him showing his tummy.

I'd go with a Blue Tick but for some reason I keep seeing Fox terrier in there somewhere. Whatever he is he's a handsome little thing.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Thanks everyone! When we first got him, my guess was that he was a jack russell/pointer mix. I thought he had button-ish ears like a terrier's. He can make them project forward quite a bit when he is listening intently. I could also possibly see some blue tick beagle in him as well. He is getting more and more speckles every day, but he still only has patches on his face! It's likely that he is a multiple generation mutt, so I'll probably never know his exact make-up. Obviously, it doesn't matter in the slightest what he is. I'm pretty thoroughly obsessed with the little boy! It's just fun to try to guess!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah B. View Post
    Thanks everyone! When we first got him, my guess was that he was a jack russell/pointer mix. I thought he had button-ish ears like a terrier's. He can make them project forward quite a bit when he is listening intently. I could also possibly see some blue tick beagle in him as well. He is getting more and more speckles every day, but he still only has patches on his face! It's likely that he is a multiple generation mutt, so I'll probably never know his exact make-up. Obviously, it doesn't matter in the slightest what he is. I'm pretty thoroughly obsessed with the little boy! It's just fun to try to guess!
    But I finally did research! He is a Bluetic Beagle, with a bit of Aussie in him. Or her.

He reminds me A LOT of my red Australian Cattle Dog I used to have (blue heeler in him probably). Maybe Jack Russell like you said. And he reminds me of a German Short hair Pointer also. He sure is a sweetie!

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

I agree with those who think he has JRT in him; I can definitely see that in him.