Thread: Keeping Animals Healthy

Keeping Animals Healthy

With hard econonmic times everywhere some small town animal clinics
    have had to close or cut back on services. I was so glad to hear that this
    University's Vet school has stepped up to the plate.

Indiana News

Emergency Vet Clinic Sees High Demand
    Purdue Clinic Plans To Add Staff, Considers Expansion

POSTED: 3:52 pm EDT August 1, 2010

LAFAYETTE, Ind. -- Purdue University's new emergency veterinary clinic has seen such high demand that organizers already are adding staff and considering expanding space.

The clinic, which took over July 1 for the now-closed Animal Emergency Clinic, has seen nearly 300 cases so far and is averaging eight to 10 cases per weeknight, said Paula Johnson, clinical assistant professor of emergency and critical care. Officials originally expected to see three to six cases each night.

Johnson said the high demand early on taxed the clinic, but new staff -- and possibly additional space -- is expected to ease the crunch.

"We prepared and planned as much as we possibly could," Johnson said. "Going through a lot of those growing pains has been good."

The service has hired an emergency veterinarian and technician from the closed city clinic, which Purdue paid $110,000 to take over. It expanded its veterinary intern program and also expects to add more technicians and a part-time emergency vet.

Renovations to create more hospital room also are being discussed.

"I am expecting to see it blossom," Johnson said.

Johnson said the service gives veterinary students more education and experience.

Betsy Schnur, a veterinary intern working the overnight rotation for the service, said cases range from kittens with red eyes to animals with wounds, seizures or in medical distress.

"We see everything," Schnur said. "If an animal is in distress I can open the airway, and if it is something that is over my head, I can call for someone. That is what I like about the internship, you have that extra help and you are not on your own."

Jim and Kathy LaPointe took their yellow Labrador retriever Nelson to the clinic after he was knocked down by another dog and began to suffer lameness.

"He is our special boy and we just had to make sure he was OK. He has always had joint issues," Jim LaPointe said. "It is really good that we can take him to Purdue for the service."

The clinic operates from 6 p.m. until 8 a.m. daily. It does not work with large animals.

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Well if Indiana is seeing the same trend we're seeing at work, the ER hospitals are the only ones going to be booming with business.

For the last 2 years we're seeing an increase in the number of people forgoing heartworm preventatives, wellness check ups, and vaccinations until the animal is sick, then they think they can catch up on everything. They don't seem to understand that we can't be vaccinating a sick animal.

The other really bad thing we're unfortunately seeing more and more of is people waiting a week to several MONTHS when they notice a problem with their animals. I'm sure their thoughts are 'it will go away on it's own' or 'I just don't have the money right now'. But what's happening in reality is that the simple respiratory infection that could have been treated for less than $100 is now full blown pnemonia that requires hospitalization, lots of treatment, and can cost several hundred dollars. Or the dog that needed a simple dentistry a year ago now has such infected gums that the teeth are falling out, the animal is in great pain, requires lots of antibiotics and a major dentistry as well as lab work since the animal now has kidney, liver, or heart problems due to the infections. The animal hogging water for 2 months is now full blown diabetic and requires hospitalization, lots of lab work, return visits to get going on insulin injections and also has bad kidneys from waiting so long.

The really, REALLY bad part about all this is we're seeing a big increase in the number of people who are electing euthenasia as opposed to treatments because of the above.

Preventatives, vaccines, check ups, and timely dentals do more to save you money and pain for your pet than what waiting is going to cost you both.

Now if we could just get our clients to understand that.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

The vet hospital that I take my cats to is open 24/7 because it's also an ER hospital. Even though they do charge more than many in my area, they're always busy. They've even outgrown their current hospital so they'll be moving to a new larger building in just a few weeks.

I always take my cats in for annual check ups and if I notice that they're not feeling well or not acting normally then I make sure to take them in for a vet visit. Depending on what's going on, I'll only wait a few days before deciding if it's going to get better on it's own or not. Sometimes I think I go too often but I'd rather get them checked out than worry if or when they'll get better. If I don't have the funds then I just use my credit card because their health is very important to me.

Quote Originally Posted by krazyaboutkatz View Post
    I always take my cats in for annual check ups and if I notice that they're not feeling well or not acting normally then I make sure to take them in for a vet visit. Depending on what's going on, I'll only wait a few days before deciding if it's going to get better on it's own or not. Sometimes I think I go too often but I'd rather get them checked out than worry if or when they'll get better. If I don't have the funds then I just use my credit card because their health is very important to me.
    Vets & their staff LOVE clients like you. And no it's not because you go in more often, it's because you take care of your pets and don't wait until things are a total mess to deal with before you bring them in. I wish we had more clients like you. It's heartbreaking to see the condition some people allow their animals to get in before we get to see them and yet the owners swear up and down that they 'love' their pets.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady711 View Post
    For the last 2 years we're seeing an increase in the number of people forgoing heartworm preventatives, wellness check ups, and vaccinations until the animal is sick, then they think they can catch up on everything. ... The other really bad thing we're unfortunately seeing more and more of is people waiting a week to several MONTHS when they notice a problem with their animals.
    It's not just pets, it's people, too -- ask any ER doctor; they'll tell you business is booming, while preventive visits are declining. In tough economic times, folks will skimp and save on healthcare, never thinking that each dollar spent now will yield big dividends down the line.

Maybe pet healthcare reform should be next on the agenda...
    - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady711 View Post
    Well if Indiana is seeing the same trend we're seeing at work, the ER hospitals are the only ones going to be booming with business.

For the last 2 years we're seeing an increase in the number of people forgoing heartworm preventatives, wellness check ups, and vaccinations until the animal is sick, then they think they can catch up on everything. They don't seem to understand that we can't be vaccinating a sick animal.

The other really bad thing we're unfortunately seeing more and more of is people waiting a week to several MONTHS when they notice a problem with their animals. I'm sure their thoughts are 'it will go away on it's own' or 'I just don't have the money right now'. But what's happening in reality is that the simple respiratory infection that could have been treated for less than $100 is now full blown pnemonia that requires hospitalization, lots of treatment, and can cost several hundred dollars. Or the dog that needed a simple dentistry a year ago now has such infected gums that the teeth are falling out, the animal is in great pain, requires lots of antibiotics and a major dentistry as well as lab work since the animal now has kidney, liver, or heart problems due to the infections. The animal hogging water for 2 months is now full blown diabetic and requires hospitalization, lots of lab work, return visits to get going on insulin injections and also has bad kidneys from waiting so long.

The really, REALLY bad part about all this is we're seeing a big increase in the number of people who are electing euthenasia as opposed to treatments because of the above.

Preventatives, vaccines, check ups, and timely dentals do more to save you money and pain for your pet than what waiting is going to cost you both.

Now if we could just get our clients to understand that.
    I couldn't agree more with this post! Preventative care prevents so many bad things... that end up costing you so much more than that dental cleaning. Working in the veterinary field, there are so many things I wish we could say to clients!

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)