Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: breed advice please!

Quote Originally Posted by charlie116 View Post
    I also read that big dogs shouldn't be exercised too much before their limbs are fully developed or they may form abnormalities. Is that true?
    Yes. Danes should not have forced exercise until at least the age of 18 months, preferably 24 months. They should have plenty of exercise, but low impact exercise on a soft surface at their own will.

As far as bloating, danes should be kept calm and in a low stress situation an hour before as well as an hour after feeding, but really, that's not a guarantee that your dane will not bloat. One in four danes will bloat. Many of us in the dane world feel it has a genetic component to it and that if it's going to happen, it's going to happen...regardless of the precautions taken. It's still advisable to take the precautions, but just don't let it lull you into a false sense of security. Gastropexy is another thing you should research should you seriously consider owning a dane.

I have to leave for work now, but if it is a breed you are seriously wanting to learn tons about, I'd be happy to yap your ears off more when I get home tonight.

Well, I know about Dachshunds and Australian Shepherds and Australian Cattle Dogs. My dad just adopted an Aussie pup and I've done tons of research on them. And I have owned to Mini Doxies in the past which I'm pretty sure temperament is the same as the full size. And I've also had an Australian Cattle Dog.

Dachshunds:
    Sweet and adorable, these make great dogs only if you have a fenced in yard or they are leashed. Number one thing with scent hounds is... They're brain shuts off when using their noses. They will follow a scent and may get lost, not to mention the many dangers for a dog to be out alone in today's society. They are not very easy to train, (potty train specifically!), so plan on working with them A LOT with that. We were never able to potty train our two mini dachshunds... course it was probably our fault not theirs. Other than those things, these are wonderful little dogs. They are very happy and tend to be quite friendly with people if socialized well as a pup. They can be barkers.

Australian Shepherds:
    I'm sure you know, these are highly intelligent dogs!! Basically the geniuses of the dog world. They are very easy to train. Unfortunately, intelligence also comes with easily being bored. These dogs need PLENTY of mental stimulation throughout the day. They are very active dogs. They need lots and lots of exercise. If you do not plan on having a "job" to do with this dog (whether it be herding, frisbee, agility, etc.), I would not recommend it. My dad lives on a farm with our new Aussie pup, he will have plenty of room to run around and we also plan on having him as a therapy dog. (my dad directs a nursing/assisted living home) They've got medium length coats that are quite thick, and they need weekly if not daily brushing. They do shed quite a lot during shedding seasons (spring and fall). As long as they have the mental and physical exercise they need, these dogs make wonderful pets. And they're absolutely beautiful too! They are known to be aloof, but polite, with strangers.... so they need plenty of early socialization to people, places, and things. These dogs get very attached to their owners and follow them room to room. They are not meant to be left outside.

EDIT: And they LOVE to herd. So if you have small children, you've got to teach them early on that they cannot herd the children. They need to be taught that they cannot nip at human's ankles.

Australian Cattle Dogs:
    These dogs are much like the Australian Shepherd, but in my experience, are a bit more intense. They need tons and tons and tons of exercise. Better yet, it is almost mandatory that they have a job to do. Simply jogging them in my experience just isn't enough. They are very easy to train, they're a crazy smart breed. My mom's boyfriend has a red heeler, and she seems to not have the energy my red heeler had. So it may depend on whether they were bred for work or show. Plan on spending plenty of time with this dog, getting enough exercise and mental stimulation. They are extremely loyal and loving pets. This is a great breed for the right owner. They also need a lot of socialization.

Unfortunately, my dad got an Australian Cattle Dog without fully researching the breed. (I was very young at the time) At the time he did not have the room or the time to exercise him (Buddy was his name), and we had to give him up because he had too much energy and became very destructive. A friend of my dad's lived on a farm and took him in, and he herded cattle there. I got to see Buddy a lot after that and he was a great dog.

Anyways, good luck on your breed searching. Its great that you are getting the information before choosing your breed. I'm sure you'll find an awesome companion

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

I think the above post covered what I would have said about Australian Shepherds.

Mine have a huge yard to run in and each other to play with. My pure bred has the nice double coat that is normal with Aussies and she does need to be brushed a lot (more than I actually do ). And I get her groomed (trimmed) probably every 4 months or so. I invested in clippers myself so I can do any trimming needed on her rear. Some have nice flowy fur on their bottom, but Zoee has the coarse kinky stuff that is a pain for both of us.

Zoee loves to swim, while Taggart is not crazy about it. But he loves to play in the sprinklers.

They are very smart. They will do tricks/commands for you before you even ask. Of course seeing the treat or carrot helps.

I also know some about German Shepherds. These dogs are prone to hip dysplasia. My sister had four and two of them had this problem. One was a retired police dog because of the HD. The other had to be carried around in a sling because her back legs would give out on her. There was a supplement my sister gave her to help. I can't remember what its called, but can find out if necessary (or maybe someone else knows).

Corgis are almost like an Aussie with shorter legs. Very smart dogs, double coats and herders.

I'd love to have most of the dogs you have listed as well. Good luck to you on that endeavor!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

so, here's what i've learned about dogs (feel free to correct me or add things ):
    - big dogs tend to bloat, so they should be fed small equal portions 2-3 times a day & should refrain from exercising for an hour before & after eating. they are also prone to hip dysplasia
    - herding dogs need a ton of exercise & mental stimulation. they're happiest when they have a job to do. they tend to nip at people's heels
    - dogs that are low to the ground (Basset Hounds, Dachshunds, etc.) need to be kept fit so there will be no extra stress on their back
    - small dogs with long spines (Corgis, Dachshunds, etc.) shouldn't jump from high heights or they might hurt their back
    - dogs with facial wrinkles need to have them cleaned a lot
    - dogs with folded or floppy ears need to have them cleaned & checked for infections a lot
    - dogs with smushed snouts need to be kept out of the heat cuz they have a hard time cooling down cuz they can't breath right. they overheat easily
    - dogs that are bred for hunting or tend to wander should never be trusted off leash
    - big dogs should be allowed to exercise freely until their bones are fully developed, so they don't form abnormalities
    - small dogs should wear a harness on walks, so their windpipes aren't damaged
    - fluffy or long-haired dogs generally prefer cold weather & should be kept cool in the heat
    - short-haired dogs generally prefer warm weather & should be kept warm in the cold

I've learned a lot about the breeds I listed but it's way too much to type! haha

please keep posting if you know anything about the breeds!!!

OK this post may be long and I mean long... as I am going to answer them all. My experience with them anyways.. and the ones I don't answer; I haven't had any experience.

Alaskan Malamute - They are great dogs but remember they are a northern breed and are classic escape artists. They are wonderful dogs but you need to be experienced and have an active life to have one.

I would not recommend this breed to an in-experienced person. You have to ask yourself if they are the right breed for you and they need a firm handler. If you have a low fence, you should not get one as they will climb.

Also you need to have understanding neighbors if you own them.. they howl a lot.

Australian Cattle Dog - They are awesome and I adore them. However, they are a working breed and need physical and mental stimulation daily.. I would also not recommend them to inexperienced owners. If not properly socialized you will have some problems. You need to do some kind of dog sport with these dogs as lure coursing, agility, fly ball, etc. This dogs were bred to do cattle drives and love their job. Not all ACDs are cut out to do it, but they are highly active!! Plenty in shelters to rescue and not purchase!

Australian Shepherd - They are another amazing breed but need an experienced owner. They like the ACD were bred to work and herd sheep. Lack of mental and physical stimulation they will become destructive like any dog but they are very high energy. They are not for couch potatos, you must have an active lifestyle. Also plenty in shelters and rescues.

Basset Hound - Wonderful breed! I personally owned a mix and adore these dogs. They can't walk a marathon, so if you are looking for a jogging partner do not choose a basset. They are low to the ground and it's hard on their legs to jog. Plenty in shelters and rescues!

Beagle - Highly active breed! They are great dogs, but they were bred to hunt! They also are classic escape artists and follow their nose. They are not easy to train either as they follow their nose.

Bernese Mountain Dog - Have not had any experience.

Border Collie - AMAZING breed! They are also in the working group and need a job. They are highly intelligent and excel at flyball and agility. However, some need to be herding sheep that is what they were bred to do and protect livestock from predators. If you have an active lifestyle, they may be the breed for you. If you have sheep even better. Plenty in shelters and rescues.

Bulldog - Which are you refering to? English or American?

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel - No experience.

Chihuahua - Cute little dogs. They aren't the dog for me but they usually are one person dogs. If you don't like one person dogs, don't get one. I would highly suggest against getting the 'teacup' ones because those are usually from BYBs. Plenty in shelters!

Corgi - They are awesome little dogs but also cannot run a marathon! A little quirky, but a lovable breed.

Dachshund - Great little dogs but they are most of the time one person dogs as well!

Doberman - I would NOT get one if you are inexperienced. Do your research. I love them but I would not own one. They are just not the breed for me.

French Bulldog - no experience
    German Shorthaired Pointer - no experience

German Shepherd - Great breed but also not for the inexperienced. They are a very dominant breed as well and very active. They are a guardian breed so do your research.

Great Dane - great dogs! They are the biggest goofballs ever! I personally love them but you must know how much to feed them as they are prone to bloat. Do your research!

Husky - same applies for Alaskan Malamute.

Jack Russell - Great little dogs but VERY active. If you have cats, I would not suggest a JRT to you. They are very prey driven.

Lab - Great dogs and are great for the average owner. They are however active and you must be active. They excel in dock dogs, agility, and flyball.

Mastiff - Not a whole lot of experience.
    Newfoundland - Not a whole lot of experience.

Pit Bull - The American Pit Bull Terrier is a wonderful breed. However, you must be experienced with them. They are not for the average owner. They are a faithful, loyal companion and will go to the end of the Earth for you than most dogs would. However, dog aggression is common so that means if you have a dominant dog, do not get an APBT.

Get the dog for yourself, not your other dog. If you have other dogs, your APBT may not get along with any of them so you will have to seperate them, permanently for the rest of their lives. If you are not up to that, do not get an APBT. Also no dog parks, either.

Just have strictly supervised play-dates with your friend's dogs. You must have thick skin as well, you will get negative and un-called comments all the time. Also, APBTs are a medium sized dog, the ones with big heads are american bullies.

Plus so you know the term "pit bull" is a term to classify the American Staffordshire Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and the American Pit Bull Terrier.. but there is only one "Pit bull" and that is the APBT! The Amstaff and SBT are totally different breeds. Please do your research before getting any of those breeds. There are APBTs everywhere in shelters and rescues, if you go to a breeder you need to go to a VERY responsible breeder. I work with bullies every day and adore them, I can give you a forum to go to if you'd like PM me if you are seriously considering the bullies.

Pomeranian - not a whole lot of experience.

Rottweiler - Awesome breed. I had a mix for 10 and a half years and she was my heart dog. They are a guardian breed and I wouldn't recommend to the average dog owner. They are very alpha and need a firm hand. However their loyalty is amazing.

St. Bernard - big doofus' but a very lovable breed. They are huge so you need to be careful on how much exercise you give them as they have deep chests and are prone to heart attacks and bloat. I would say they could go to the average owner. A lot of grooming up keep though!

Shetland Sheepdog - not a whole experience with them. Shelteez2 may pipe in.

Shiba Inu - great little dogs! However, you need to do your research on them. They are a northern breed and very classic escape artists. They are adorable but they have their quirks. I would not suggest a shiba to an inexperienced owner.

Hope that helps a bit.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

I can tell you about Corgis an german Shepherds. Both are very sweet and kind and nice. They ae playful and lovable. Corgis are sweet and small. They'll bark at any stranger. They are quite quite fast. My corgi loves cars and noise on the road so he stays in the balcony. German Shepherd take a little time to settle with their new master. You gotta take them on walks too. They like treats and will eat them ad might be able to make friends easily. Some germans are very fast. Like my german she can win a marathon with cheetahs. Try buying a female, they are more gentle with their masters. I would prefer them because in the end we had to shoot our german (male) down. You can understand that, can't you. German males are a little unpredictive. My male who was cared by our guard all his life in the end attacked his and cut opened his fingers. We don't know what was wrong with him. If your house is big better buy a fast female. They can attack any thief. They are nice and friendly. They learn quite fast as they are very intelligent. If you need to know anything else just ask. Send a message.

I can tell you alot about beagles, my dog is only half beagle but he might as well just be full beagle:

ANYWAY, if you don't like howling, barking and "baying" do not get a beagle. This goes on all day in our house, and I know many people with beagles too. They are curious about EVERYTHING, and when I say EVERYTHING, I do mean it. Alot of them are hard-headed, my dog thinks he can take on cars, and bigger dogs. They tend to enjoy picking on little backyard critters although since they're considered "soft-mouthed" hunters they will not kill an animal as easily as another dog, but they can kill and I am sure some will. My dog once had a baby bird in his mouth, he didn't harm it in the least and didn't kill it but he did make it squeak. Mikey barely listens to drop it, but when my dad told him to that time he did. That is something we like to call instinct. Letting them off the leash is not a good idea by any means, they will follow a scent till the end. They tend to be little wanderers. They're personality is amazing, they're wonderful animals and love people. They're pack hunters which makes them very social and loving toward people.

Quote Originally Posted by luvofallhorses View Post
    OK this post may be long and I mean long... as I am going to answer them all. My experience with them anyways.. and the ones I don't answer; I haven't had any experience.

Alaskan Malamute - They are great dogs but remember they are a northern breed and are classic escape artists. They are wonderful dogs but you need to be experienced and have an active life to have one.

I would not recommend this breed to an in-experienced person. You have to ask yourself if they are the right breed for you and they need a firm handler. If you have a low fence, you should not get one as they will climb.

Also you need to have understanding neighbors if you own them.. they howl a lot.

Australian Cattle Dog - They are awesome and I adore them. However, they are a working breed and need physical and mental stimulation daily.. I would also not recommend them to inexperienced owners. If not properly socialized you will have some problems. You need to do some kind of dog sport with these dogs as lure coursing, agility, fly ball, etc. This dogs were bred to do cattle drives and love their job. Not all ACDs are cut out to do it, but they are highly active!! Plenty in shelters to rescue and not purchase!

Australian Shepherd - They are another amazing breed but need an experienced owner. They like the ACD were bred to work and herd sheep. Lack of mental and physical stimulation they will become destructive like any dog but they are very high energy. They are not for couch potatos, you must have an active lifestyle. Also plenty in shelters and rescues.

Basset Hound - Wonderful breed! I personally owned a mix and adore these dogs. They can't walk a marathon, so if you are looking for a jogging partner do not choose a basset. They are low to the ground and it's hard on their legs to jog. Plenty in shelters and rescues!

Beagle - Highly active breed! They are great dogs, but they were bred to hunt! They also are classic escape artists and follow their nose. They are not easy to train either as they follow their nose.

Bernese Mountain Dog - Have not had any experience.

Border Collie - AMAZING breed! They are also in the working group and need a job. They are highly intelligent and excel at flyball and agility. However, some need to be herding sheep that is what they were bred to do and protect livestock from predators. If you have an active lifestyle, they may be the breed for you. If you have sheep even better. Plenty in shelters and rescues.

Bulldog - Which are you refering to? English or American?

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel - No experience.

Chihuahua - Cute little dogs. They aren't the dog for me but they usually are one person dogs. If you don't like one person dogs, don't get one. I would highly suggest against getting the 'teacup' ones because those are usually from BYBs. Plenty in shelters!

Corgi - They are awesome little dogs but also cannot run a marathon! A little quirky, but a lovable breed.

Dachshund - Great little dogs but they are most of the time one person dogs as well!

Doberman - I would NOT get one if you are inexperienced. Do your research. I love them but I would not own one. They are just not the breed for me.

French Bulldog - no experience
    German Shorthaired Pointer - no experience

German Shepherd - Great breed but also not for the inexperienced. They are a very dominant breed as well and very active. They are a guardian breed so do your research.

Great Dane - great dogs! They are the biggest goofballs ever! I personally love them but you must know how much to feed them as they are prone to bloat. Do your research!

Husky - same applies for Alaskan Malamute.

Jack Russell - Great little dogs but VERY active. If you have cats, I would not suggest a JRT to you. They are very prey driven.

Lab - Great dogs and are great for the average owner. They are however active and you must be active. They excel in dock dogs, agility, and flyball.

Mastiff - Not a whole lot of experience.
    Newfoundland - Not a whole lot of experience.

Pit Bull - The American Pit Bull Terrier is a wonderful breed. However, you must be experienced with them. They are not for the average owner. They are a faithful, loyal companion and will go to the end of the Earth for you than most dogs would. However, dog aggression is common so that means if you have a dominant dog, do not get an APBT.

Get the dog for yourself, not your other dog. If you have other dogs, your APBT may not get along with any of them so you will have to seperate them, permanently for the rest of their lives. If you are not up to that, do not get an APBT. Also no dog parks, either.

Just have strictly supervised play-dates with your friend's dogs. You must have thick skin as well, you will get negative and un-called comments all the time. Also, APBTs are a medium sized dog, the ones with big heads are american bullies.

Plus so you know the term "pit bull" is a term to classify the American Staffordshire Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and the American Pit Bull Terrier.. but there is only one "Pit bull" and that is the APBT! The Amstaff and SBT are totally different breeds. Please do your research before getting any of those breeds. There are APBTs everywhere in shelters and rescues, if you go to a breeder you need to go to a VERY responsible breeder. I work with bullies every day and adore them, I can give you a forum to go to if you'd like PM me if you are seriously considering the bullies.

Pomeranian - not a whole lot of experience.

Rottweiler - Awesome breed. I had a mix for 10 and a half years and she was my heart dog. They are a guardian breed and I wouldn't recommend to the average dog owner. They are very alpha and need a firm hand. However their loyalty is amazing.

St. Bernard - big doofus' but a very lovable breed. They are huge so you need to be careful on how much exercise you give them as they have deep chests and are prone to heart attacks and bloat. I would say they could go to the average owner. A lot of grooming up keep though!

Shetland Sheepdog - not a whole experience with them. Shelteez2 may pipe in.

Shiba Inu - great little dogs! However, you need to do your research on them. They are a northern breed and very classic escape artists. They are adorable but they have their quirks. I would not suggest a shiba to an inexperienced owner.

Hope that helps a bit.
    Let me attempt to respond to everything! haha

Aus Cattle Dog/Aus Shepherd/Border Collie: I would only own a herding dog if I lived on a farm, I had a very active lifestyle, or I could do agility with it.

Basset/Beagle: I currently own 2 Beagle/Basset mixes & I have owned a purebred Beagle before. We took her to west virginia & she took off after a turkey!!! (she came back though )

Bulldog: English!

Chihuahua: they're so cute! my grandmother has one & he's so great

Corgi: my friend has one

Dachshund: they're just so adorable & spunky! I love them. this lady I used to know had 2

Doberman: I understand they're very big & strong & I would never get a dog that I couldn't physically handle. I would train him to walk nicely, which I know I can do cuz I have a pit bull mix that weighs as much as I do & I taught him to walk right next to me & never pull

Husky: I know a bit about them cuz my boyfriend has 2 . I just love how vocal they are! but I understand that they're a ton of work

Pit Bull: I own a 110-pound pit bull mix. he's a sweety pie, but he does have dog aggression. he gets along with our 3 other dogs, though. I absolutely adore pits. my aunt owns 4! they're such great dogs

Shiba Inu: I've owned one. they are amazing dogs!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alysser View Post
    I can tell you alot about beagles, my dog is only half beagle but he might as well just be full beagle:

ANYWAY, if you don't like howling, barking and "baying" do not get a beagle. This goes on all day in our house, and I know many people with beagles too. They are curious about EVERYTHING, and when I say EVERYTHING, I do mean it. Alot of them are hard-headed, my dog thinks he can take on cars, and bigger dogs. They tend to enjoy picking on little backyard critters although since they're considered "soft-mouthed" hunters they will not kill an animal as easily as another dog, but they can kill and I am sure some will. My dog once had a baby bird in his mouth, he didn't harm it in the least and didn't kill it but he did make it squeak. Mikey barely listens to drop it, but when my dad told him to that time he did. That is something we like to call instinct. Letting them off the leash is not a good idea by any means, they will follow a scent till the end. They tend to be little wanderers. They're personality is amazing, they're wonderful animals and love people. They're pack hunters which makes them very social and loving toward people.
    I currently own 2 Beagle mixes myself. they're mixed with Basset Hounds. they bring dead animals into the house all the time! I also owned a purebred Beagle. we took her to west virginia & she took off after a turkey!!! she came back with a feather in her mouth! haha

Beagles! I have owned a beagle before (Goldberg... this is if you remember her, Smarties mother, amalia) he was the total best. I would say, BEAGLE BEAGLE BEAGLE! I hope you get a beagle, haha.

Most large deep chested dogs are bloat prone. In the past few years vets have been performing prophylactic laparoscopy gastropexy. Having lost 2 Akitas to bloat in the past, I had it done on my female pup 10 yrs ago. It is wonderful to have one less worry.
    That is a hugely varied list, which ones are you serious about?

Quote Originally Posted by akitrix View Post
    Most large deep chested dogs are bloat prone. In the past few years vets have been performing prophylactic laparoscopy gastropexy. Having lost 2 Akitas to bloat in the past, I had it done on my female pup 10 yrs ago. It is wonderful to have one less worry.
    That is a hugely varied list, which ones are you serious about?
    I'm serious about all of them, really...I absolutely love dogs. I own 4 right now. Like I said, I've owned some of them (Beagle, Pomeranian, & Shiba Inu). I can't really narrow the list down haha. I guess it would all depend on my lifestyle when I go to buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by CatsMeow View Post
    Beagles! I have owned a beagle before (Goldberg... this is if you remember her, Smarties mother, amalia) he was the total best. I would say, BEAGLE BEAGLE BEAGLE! I hope you get a beagle, haha.
    haha. yea, i love beagles too. i currently own 2 beagle basset mixes

Terrier breeds are always a good choice.