Thread: Does anyone understand HDMI cables????

Does anyone understand HDMI cables????

I have questions!

1. I have Verizon FIOS. TV and FIOS are HD. They used their 5 wire to connect the set top box to the TV. Someone told me I will get a better picture with HDMI cables? Then why didn't Verizon put those in?

2. I just ordered a home theater system (woo hoo!) I am told I will need 2 HDMI cables: one from the TV to the receiver and one from the set top box to the receiver. Basically, one is going to replace the Verizon 5 wire. I can not connect the theater system until I buy at least ONE cable. Since when do you buy something and it does not come with all the needed stuff?

3. Seems I will do best with a high speed 1.4 cable. I only need 1 meter in length, as everything is close together in my entertainment center.

The reason that Verizon probably uses the component Video cables instead of the HMDi is to be compatible with those users that do not have HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) compliant TV sets. HMDI was an ill conceived cable system that was suppose to keep people from stealing
    movies by copying. These cables have HDCP encryption that will make it hard to copy movies to another recording device. Supposedly you would not be able to get Full HD unless you had HMDI cables for transfering audio and video to your TV set. The HMDI standard has been anything but standard and various cables 1.1 through 1.4 are not compatible with each other. One way around the HMDI is to use Component RGB cables without much loss of quality. Most people will not be able to perceive a difference between HMDI and RGB component cables for video. HMDI is just another way of protecting the studios against Pirating movies. They really have little benefit other than being convenient for the average user.

Unless you have the latest 3D TV then you may not be able to use HMDI 1.4
    “You live and you learn, but if you never learn, at least you are still living.”
    — Unknown

We purchased a home theater system from Best Buy (Magnolia Room) a couple years back, and they wanted us to buy all of their HDMI cables of course, Moster brand, at $50 each! We skipped that and bought them on ebay.

Of course, I have since learned of Monoprice.com. (Link goes straight to HDMI cables.)

If your tv is HD, you can definitely tell a difference between component and HDMI.

Verizon probably didnt put HDMI cables in because, A. they're difficult and want to use their own cables.. or B. because theyre 'too expensive' and would only use them if you purchased them at a mark up. Check the box for an HDMI plug, and if there's one, I'd definitely use it. =)

Bunny: BoxerxSheppard mix, Eli: Boxer, Treo: Boxer
    Zeke [RB]: RottweilerxAustrailian Cattle Dog mix

Oscar & Chloe: White's Tree Frogs, Kiwi & Wasabi: Green Tree Frogs
    I sell DVDs and other miscellaneous stuff on eBay!

Thank you, both!

I can barely figure out the remote!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

what they said..

my TV is HD.. and is connected to DVD with HDMI... we have rented some movies and series from Blockbuster and man, you can REALLY tell the difference.. they even look almost like blueray without being one...

fortunately our DVD set came with such cable... the TV has more HDMI "plugs".. and we thought putting the Playstation with one too.. but the cables are a bit expensive so for that we used the one that came with the game.. lol.. which is also pretty good..
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Read the attached link on HMDI VS Component. In most cases you can not tell the difference. If going a long distance Component (analog) is always better.

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messa...79/122868.html

I record a lot of HD movies that come over either my Directv or from a Blueray dvd. Because of the encryption on HMDI, recording is not possible. Using Component inputs to my recorder I have an exact duplicate of the movie that came off of a digital source even though Component is analog. Component has no encryption. The quality really depends more on the source like dvd or cable provider and the TV or Projector and not the cables used.
    Last edited by kokopup; 08-15-2010 at 01:41 AM.
    “You live and you learn, but if you never learn, at least you are still living.”
    — Unknown

Many, many thanks!

Hdmi

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Many, many thanks!
    I don`t know much about HDMI cables either. I bought a dvd player that upscales normal dvds.

The player came with a RGB Composite cable which is not very good.
    Manufacturers always give you the cheapest cable to get you started
    then its up to you to decide how much you wish to pay for a better cable.

HDMI cables are varied in price with the most expensive giving you the best picture.

I bought a cheap cable for £10 sterling as I didn`t know this at the time.
    Still, the picture quality is good even at this price.

hilltop
    I bought a cheap cable for £10 sterling as I didn`t know this at the time. Still, the picture quality is good even at this price.
    If you have a short cable of 1 or 2 meters then the most expensive cable will not help your picture. Long HDMI cables will degrade picture quality because it will start dropping bits and it will show up as white specks in the picture, The most expensive HDMI cable is limited to around 50-100 feet before you have to have some sort of repeater. You can run the RGB component cables longer distances without picture issues. My longest HDMI cable is 50 feet which is the distance between my AV equipment and the Projector.
    — Unknown

So . . .

Over the weekend, Massachusetts had their sales tax free weekend. I live right on the state line. I bought 2 monster cables at Best Buy, for $69.99 EACH.

Came on here to check my replies, did a bit more homework (and found 2 forums for home theater questions!), bought my 2 HDMI cables on line at Monoprice.com, $3 each!

Will return the ones I got at Best Buy.

THANK YOU so much, everyone!!!