Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to control a barking dog *pics*

How to control a barking dog *pics*

I'm not sure if anyone remembers me? I have Sadie and Megs two German shepherds. Well I moved out and got my own dog. Ole is an 8 month old basset hound. He is everything i wanted in a dog except his barking. I knew when getting a basset hound I would have to deal with barking. My only problem he panics when he is left alone and will bark and howl when he is left alone. I can't have that with living in an apartment. It has come to the point where if I want to go anywhere I have to drop him off at my parents. My parents are fine with this but it has become a pain to drive him over to their place every time I have to go anywhere. My question is are there any barking aids that could be used when I'm gone? I don't want to use a shock collar on him.
    Also a post wouldn't be a post without pictures
    Here are Sadie and Megs (Sadie is on the left and is now 5 years old, megs is on the right and is 2 now)

My beautiful Sadie girl

Meggits

And now for my little Ole. The day i got him

a little older

ole and megs

Sleepy Basset

Well thanks for looking! Hopefully there are some good ideas on how to quite my basset down when I'm gone

Do a search for "separation anxiety" - there are plenty of threads on this here. Is he crate trained? You can train him out of this behavior, and you should start ASAP! Training is better than an anti-bark collar in my opinion, the collar can just exacerbate the problem in some cases.
    I've Been Frosted

He is not crate trained.Although I tried. He panics even more when left in a crate. I've tried everything to try and make the crate some place enjoyable for him. But he still acts like its a torturing device that I'm putting him in. At my parents he only barks a bit when left alone then will go lay down and sleep. But at my place he doesn't have another dog so he will bark and howl for hours.

Oh my I LOVE Bassetts. So adorable! I don't know what to do about the barking. He looks so sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Crayons09 View Post
    he doesn't have another dog so he will bark and howl for hours.
    perhaps your solution is right here.. .. a second dog..

that or try those barking supressor collars.. not sure of names or if they do work.. but I´ve seen a few devices for that matter... some that spray stuff.. not shocking ones..

OR.. try doing it in free time.. leave for 10 seconds and reward if he´s good and quiet.. then do it a few more times.. then leave for 20.. and so on and on.. until he gets the idea you ARE coming back..

glad to see you back and of course the pics are adorable!!!!
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

I believe they sell devices that give off a sound only dogs can hear and it stops them from barking. No shocking and it's not even a collar. I know I am probably going to get Bark Off. That might even work for you. You turn it on and it gives off a sound, like I just said. Only I'd be using it only when necessary when Zoee won't listen to us tell her to stop barking.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

This is the only device I can think of to accomplish what you're wanting without use of a shock collar.

Indoor Solutions

Basically a pet trainer that specializes in behaviour problems sounds like the best bet and will probably work better in the long term. The device may only work for a short term solution.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Omg he is CUTE. I don't know if you have anyone to come play with him while you are gone or maybe have a pet sitter watch him if you have the funds? He is a hound and they usually are barkers when you leave anyways so it may not be full on seperation anxiety. My coonhound does the same. Can he stay at someone's house while you're gone like a friend's or family that you would trust with him??
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Those things Cindy is talking about work great....We were having a horrible time with Sooner standing in the kitchen (with muddy paws) barking and barking, wanting to come into the carpeted area.....Boomer would be sound asleep on the kitchen floor, but Sooner was loud enough to wake the dead....well, we bought one...can't remember the name....at Petsmart, and the first time Sooner barked, she immediately stopped and looked around, and I swear to you, that was the LAST time she barked in the house! I don't know if they work on all dogs but they sure worked on her.....We keep ours on a little table facing the kitchen, but honestly, she has not barked since.....
    Shannon, Boomer, and Sooner

OMG! GSD head tilts in unison!!!!! Gorgeous Dogs!
    Ole is precious. Can't help with your problem, but have to say that he's too cute for words! We have a few Bassetts at the dog park and they're so fun to watch.

I've been Boooo'd!

Oh what a cutie!! look at those ears. I wouldnt know what to do with the barking situation. Heidi doesnt bark that much, unless we are playing. Have you taken him to obedience classes? They may have some suggestions for you and it would be a good bonding experience for you. i also agree with the crate training, if you havent done that already.

I am soo sorry if I can't help , but some good luck and prayers for little doggies. How do you tell Meggs and Sadie?

You have the most gorgeous dogs. They are all incredibly beautiful. I have Chihuahuas and "bark" is their middle name. Good luck to you.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Thanks for all the replys! I bought the bark off just the other day just have yet to try it out. The doggy daycare doesn't work because I work 2-11pm and no place is open that late. For now he stays at my parents when I'm gone. I will have to get the camera out and have a photo shoot with the dogs

I don't recommend a bark collar for a reason you may have never heard of. When I got my dog, Autumn, I still lived with my parents. My stepdad wouldn't tolerate any barking so she had to have a bark collar. Autumn quickly learned that she could get away with a loww growl without getting shocked (BTW, the shock doesn't hurt that bad, I've tried it). Anyway, now she still greets people with a growl and uses a growl more than a bark. This is not an aggressive thing on her part, its just that she learned that a growl was all she could do without being shocked. This scares people and could be dangerous for her is she growls at somebody who takes it wrong. She hasn't had the shock collar for years but still growls before she gets up the confidence to bark. Sometimes she still acts like she's expecting a shock after she barks.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton