Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roof turkey!

Roof turkey!

When I just drove home from the grocery store, there was a turkey on our roof! I stopped and took his picture, he seemed to be pacing, and I wasn't sure what he would do. It's not a big flight to our kitchen roof, that's only 1 story, and he could have then walked up to the second story roof, not sure.

Then Paul came out, and was taking pictures, and it got concerned, and flew to the neighbor's roof, which is even higher!

He's still up there!
    I've Been Frosted

INvite him in for dinner!

Better a trukey than cats running on the roof.

Is that wild turkey ???

Yes, we have several that wander through our neighborhood regularly. Our property has trees, and behind it is a large cemetery, so nice for large wandering, usually ground-based birds. There are plenty of cats, and hawks, so it's not a great place to raise poults, but ... once they get this big, they are apparently pretty safe.
    I've Been Frosted

How cool!! I would have been taken back on first glance and then once I realized what it was I would've been taking pics too!! Thanks for sharing. I like Richard's idea of inviting him in for dinner

What time of day was it? Turkeys almost always roost in trees at night. That Jake (under 1 year male) must have gotten lost. It is still a little early for them to break up from the summer time feeding groups.

Do you still see poults? This years hatch should be flying or real close by now.
    "Unlike most of you, I am not a nut."

- Homer Simpson

"If the enemy opens the door, you must race in."

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

My mom has turkeys out at her house. She said she has a whole family and they come up to the house to drink out of the water dish she keeps outside for the dogs. One day she turned on the hose and let it soak the ground and looked out later and all 7 (or so) of the turkeys were just wading through the puddle. Hee hee
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

He's still up there now, I just checked. I think his one has been on his own for a least a year, he's got one feather that hangs down in front that the others don't. It was just about dusk as he was on our roof.

We're not sure the poults survived this year, if they did we haven't seen them. We saw one with a parent a week or so ago, about the size of a chicken, and getting his or her adult coloring.
    I've Been Frosted

Ah what a special treat for you. Hope the big guy remains ok.

Blog Entries
    That Jake is up on your roof surveying the area. Did he spend the day & night there? Can you imagine once upon a time the turkey almost became our national bird.

We have a large flock of turkeys where I work. One day last year there was a turkey right by the entrance of one of the buildings, just as bold as you please! The wildlife on campus is pretty unafraid of humans.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

LOL! That is so cute! So, are you going to put food out for him?

When I was married and lived out in the country, my husband was given a turkey. One Thanksgiving morning, I looked out the kitchen window and what did I see? A Mama turkey and a bunch of babies. It wasn't long before all the babies vanished so we learned while they were small, to keep them in a box inside. Once big enough to get out of the box, we put them back outside.. Next thing you know we were over run with so many turkeys! I really enjoyed those little babies in the box!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

So funny! I have turkeys and sometimes pheasants around my house. I think it is so cute when the little turkeys follow the mama in a row. I have to say though that I have never seen one on a roof. That is quite curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura's Babies View Post
    So, are you going to put food out for him?
    He might gobble gobble it all up

Quote Originally Posted by wombat2u2004 View Post
    He might gobble gobble it all up
    LOL!