Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PT prayers requested please.

You're welcome, do keep us updated. Hugs to your furry baby!
    I've Been Frosted

Poor Molly. Hope you have a positive result. God help you, Ameen!. Pryers for the cute collie

Since she's been home she's been having episodes almost every 3 hours. The longest so far lasting almost 30 minutes. Keep them coming..

More prayers on the way for Molly.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

More prayers and hugs for Molly on the way!

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

Julie,

I'd stop the meds again and think about getting a second opinion. That's a pretty high dose of thyroid med. Tommy has been on 0.8 mg twice a day and he was recently pushed back to 0.5 mg twice a day because he was a tad hyperthyroid on his last blood test, and he is a big boy. He has autoimmune thyroid disease and has a totally nonfunctioning thyroid. Too high a dose of thyroid med can cause hyperthyroidism, and hyperthyroidism CAN cause seizures, confusion, spells, or other symptoms.

You and Molly will be in my thoughts.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Thanks again everyone. I heard back from the vet yesterday; all of her tests came back and all of her levels were within normal range. Which is good news!

And no episodes/fits today either! Jess, that's exactly what I was thinking. My vet was and still doesn't think the thyroid meds have anything to do with her symptoms, but I disagree. I have not given them to her since the evening we brought her home and she seems to be doing loads better now. He was very surprised when I told him that she had started up again the same evening I brought her home after not having any problems when she spent the night at the vet whatsoever (she was not given a pill the entire day while she was at the vet, and was given one when I brought her home). I'm still documenting everything at the request of my vet and for my own personal knowledge so we can either rule-out the thyroid meds or see that that's where the problem lies. I'm thinking the meds should be completely, if not almost completely out of her system by now which would explain her improvement. My vet is calling again tomorrow night to discuss how she's doing and what our options are if she goes back to acting like she was.

I'm hesistant to put her on seizure meds if she does in fact need them. The first medication isn't an option for her because mixing it with her thyroid pills would be dangerous. The second medication would weaken her hind legs and she's having enough trouble getting up and walking around now as it is. First and foremost, I'm going to have them put her on a much lower dose of the thyro-tabs and see if that makes a difference. My gut feeling is telling me that's what the problem is.

Thanks again guys, I'll continue to keep you updated on her progress. So glad she seems to be taking a turn for the better!!

Glad to hear the fits have stopped now, that must have been scary for both of you!!

You wouldn't by chance know what your dog's T3/T4 levels were when she was diagnosed do you?

At work dogs are typically dosed on a twice a day schedule and the size of the dose is based on the T3/T4 levels and the dog's size. Then we retest the levels once the dog has been on the medication 4 weeks and adjust the dose accordingly.

I looked up the label for Thyro-Tabs. Since it's a human product it's hard for me to tell how much of the warnings apply to dogs, however I did find a couple things that might apply. Now bear in mind that they are required to put ANY reaction or side effect on the label even if it's one person out of 10 million that had a problem with it so don't get too frightened over some of it.

thyro-tabs Due to the long half-life of levothyroxine, the peak therapeutic effect at a given dose of levothyroxine sodium may not be attained for 4-6 weeks.

The signs and symptoms of overdosage are those of hyperthyroidism (see PRECAUTIONS and ADVERSE REACTIONS). In addition, confusion and disorientation may occur. Cerebral embolism, shock, coma, and death have been reported. Seizures have occurred in a child ingesting 18 mg of levothyroxine. Symptoms may not necessarily be evident or may not appear until several days after ingestion of levothyroxine sodium.

Treatment of Overdosage

Levothyroxine sodium should be reduced in dose or temporarily discontinued if signs or symptoms of overdosage occur.

Acute Massive Overdosage This may be a life-threatening emergency, therefore, symptomatic and supportive therapy should be instituted immediately. If not contraindicated (e.g., by seizures, coma, or loss of the gag reflex), the stomach should be emptied by emesis or gastric lavage to decrease gastrointestinal absorption. Activated charcoal or cholestyramine may also be used to decrease absorption.

If it were my dog; I'd have her stay at the vet another night and let them give her the medication there. If there's a reaction they will be there to witness it which may tell them something. Or possibly have the T3/T4 levels retested. If your vet doesn't want to do either then I'd be looking for a second opinion.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I'm so glad to hear she's doing better today. It would definitely be hard not to suspect the medication, either a side effect or that it is possibly raising her thyroid levels too high and causing hyperthyroidism. Having had collies, in my experience they can be ultra sensitive to medications and prone to reactions. I remember having to be careful what heartworm preventative I put them on because of that. I think you're right to go with your instincts and your plan sounds like a good one. I'll be keeping you and Molly in my thoughts. ((hugs)) to you.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Well, she's had a couple of fits today, though not as bad as what I've seen previously. I did some research on the medication and thyroids in general, and from what I've read up on, around 70% of dogs who have thyroid problems also experience seizures too. So, it does point to her having actual seizures instead of something else. What we're going to do now is put her back on the thyro-tabs and in 3-4 weeks take her back to the vet so they can test her T3/T4 levels and adjust the dose accordingly as needed (as Catlady said). This is what was planned on when she first started the thyroid meds almost 2 week ago, so we're pretty much back on schedule with that.

We're also going to put her on potassium bromide, though it'll affect her legs, it won't affect her liver or her thyroid, compared to the other medication. They're going to first put her on a "loading dose" to get her to a certain level, and once that happens she's put on a "maintenance dose." If she somehow can't tolerate the higher doses at first, they're going to just go ahead and put her on the maintenance dose instead. From there, we take her back 2 months after she starts this medication to see if any progress has been made. That's the overall plan for now.. may change should complications arise before or after all of this. I'm most concerned with her quality of life -- but for now, she seems to be perking up a little bit and that's all that matters. I'll be sure to keep everyone posted. Thanks again everyone.

I'll keep sending thoughts and prayers. Feel better, sweetheart!!

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

It sounds like you are educating yourself well and trying to find the root cause of everything, and it seems like you are heading in the right direction. I hope things continue to look up, and she starts to act more like herself with these changes. Keep us updated....werent you going to school for Vet Tech, or was that someone else?

Thanks both of you. She started the other meds yesterday and so far, so good. She absolutely hates taking it (it's in liquid form so we have to squirt it into her mouth) but she's happy with the treat that comes after that.

Miranda, yes that was me. I'm a pre-vet major. Applying for vet school probably within the next year or so!

Ah, the joys of medicating reluctant animals. At least she likes the treat that follows! Any chance you have a compounding pharmacy handy that could make it yummier - like liver-flavored or something?

Prayers still being said for your pretty girl.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenRetrLuver View Post
    Miranda, yes that was me. I'm a pre-vet major. Applying for vet school probably within the next year or so!
    Well i am very glad that she is doing better, and I don't blame her!! i hate taking meds!

So what is a pre-vet major? Are you going to be a vet or a vet tech? because I am going to go to school for Vet Tech this fall (after we get a house and get settled a bit more- doing too many big changes does not work well for me )