Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some advice from cat lovers

Need some advice from cat lovers

Hey everyone! Long time no post!

I have a question...or am in need of some advice. I met my boyfriend in May, and hes got a gorgeous male, orange tabby. Right before I met him (end of april) his cat had surgery to remove a tumor from the heel of his right hind leg. When I first met his cat KiKi, the tumor was gone, this was in May.

The vet that did the surgery said they may not have gotten all of it.

Well, within the last 4 weeks maybe, its back double time. The vet said its too big for them to remove cause there wont be enough skin to sew back over his leg.

The quickness in which it grew back is worrisome, so we are sending out the original sample to find out what we are dealing with here.

Obviously, we have 3 options, try and save the leg which doesnt look feasible (Im afraid we are going to keep slicing and dicing his leg and itll continue to come back). Euthanize or amputate.

His cat is 9 and otherwise healthy. eats, plays, etc.

Im curious if anyone has experience with these fast growing things? Is it likely to pop up elsewhere?

Here is his kitty on my bed....he is staying with me so I can watch him, my bf works all day

Here he is, and here is his leg

JustineNYC,

Poor baby!!! Did they give him any pain killers? I'm sure it hurts something awful. He's a beautiful cat!

Did you know that cats don't know when they have a "limitation" such as an amputated leg. Look at the thread on the two legged cat. Animals are amazing when it comes to injuries and stuff like that.

If his best chance is amputation, that's what I would do. But he's not my cat. You need to think of what is in the cat's best interest. Remember, once an amputation is done and it heals, the cat will be good as new, providing they get all the cancer.

My thoughts and prayers go out to your beautiful orange boy.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

My gut says amputation, I have known three-legged kitties and even one dog who got along fine. He won't have the jumping ability he used to, but I bet otherwise would be okay!
    I've Been Frosted

what Karen said. I would go with amputation in an otherwise healthy kitty. They will learn to get along without the limb just fine. Look at the other thread with a two legged kitten in it. It's so inspiring.

I hope you'll find out what kind of cancer you're dealing with and that Kiki will be able to have surgery and live a full and productive life yet.

Ouch! Poor kitty!

That looks like it need immediate attention, and if it is growing quickly, well, the sooner the better.

As to WHAT to do the sooner . . . I am sending my prayers for you as you make this decision.

Aw poor baby.

I would consider amputation first before euthanasia. Is the cancer just in his heel?

My prayers are with you.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

I'd rather amputate than euthanize if he's healthy otherwise but obviously it isn't my decision to make. Poor little guy must be in pain and if it's spreading as fast as it is, then you'll probably have to make the decision quickly. Best wishes w/whatever you decide. Prayers going up for that beautiful boy right now......
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Poor kitty! What does the vet recommend? Has your boyfriend considered getting a second opinion? Prayers are being prayed for all of you as you make a difficult decision.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

I knew a young man once who had a 3-legged-cat. He named his baby Tripod. Tripod climbed curtains and made as much mischief as the best of them! I'd say amputate. It doesn't stop them at all!
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

Another vote for amputation. I wouldn't hesitate if he were mine and get it done asap! (If he were mine) Kitties do not see themselves as handicapped like humans do and he will adjust and I doubt you would see much change in his abilities to get around.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

I agree with the masses. 3 legged cats get along just dandy. Takes a few weeks for the cat to figure out the whole adjusted balance thing, but after the hair grows back you'd never know they ever had 4 legs to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by momcat View Post
    Poor kitty! What does the vet recommend? Has your boyfriend considered getting a second opinion? Prayers are being prayed for all of you as you make a difficult decision.
    My vet was the second opinion. I had him drive his cat to my house so I could take him to my vet because I trust him.

3 different doctors said there wont be any skin left on that foot to close it back over his bone. We are waiting to hear what the biopsy says but we are sure it will be something aggressive.

I showed him some 3 legged cat videos on youtube last night cause originally he said no way to amputating. He thinks hell be crawling all over or something, falling.

I found a video of a 3 legged cat running and climbing up a roof.

I have a 3 legged cat by the way. She used to live outside before I took her in and she'd scale 8 foot fences.

JustineNYC,

Please, try to talk him out of the other option. Have the vet talk to your boyfriend, explaining that cats can live perfectly healthy lives after an amputation. It's not a death sentence. He shouldn't see it as such. I just hope your vet can convince him of that.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I would go with the amputation. I have a tri-pod, Demetri He plays and runs around some times faster then the 4 legers.
    You have a beatiful baby there, take the leg and keep the love.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DEMETRI.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	118.0 KB 
ID:	45790   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DEMETRI_1.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	156.6 KB 
ID:	45791   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DEMETRI_LB.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	843.9 KB 
ID:	45792   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DEMETRI_PENNY_1209a.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	240.7 KB 
ID:	45793  
    GILL & Crew;

Smokey the Elder, whose handle I use, had aggressive cancer in her hind leg and she had it amputated. She did just fine with that. She had a type of cancer which is very rare in cats. (She was also quite old at the time; how old is anyone's guess.)
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb