Thread: Do you like Tigers?

Do you like Tigers?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKtqS...layer_embedded

If so please, please help by signing the petition, telling your friends, support on Facebook and perhaps donate if you are able.
    Watch tiger videos/Save the tiger

Done and forwarded to all.

Thank you!

Leonardo DiCaprio pledges $1m to help save tigers

Titanic star to donate part of his fortune to fund anti-poaching efforts, habitat protection and campaigns to raise awareness

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...io-save-tigers

Thank you for posting this, Chris. I love tigers and hope the whole world will contribute to help save them! I didn't know that Leonardo DiCaprio was helping with this - hats off to him!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I love tigers! I will watch the video at home.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Thanks guys.

and I'll join you in the hats off to Leo, Randi!

Great news – Tiger Forum backs recovery plan with $127 million

World leaders meeting at the historic International Tiger Conservation Forum in St Petersburg this week have backed a plan to double tiger numbers by 2022 – and promised vital funding to help make the goal a reality.
    Indian tiger two month old cub

World leaders from all the 13 countries that still have wild tigers have endorsed a Global Tiger Recovery Programme to double tiger numbers (from the current low of 3,200) by the year 2022 – the next Year of the Tiger

At the International Tiger Conservation Forum, hosted over the past few days in St Petersburg by Russian prime minister Vladimir Putin, governments have capped a year-long political process by promising around USD127 million in new funding to help bring tigers back from the brink of extinction.

Other money has been offered too. For instance the World Bank has offered a $100 million loan package to Nepal, Bhutan and Bangladesh to support tiger conservation work there. And the Global Environment Facility has committed $12 million in new funding to regional tiger projects that show benefits for biodiversity and reductions in carbon emissions.

Hollywood star Leonardo DiCaprio has announced a personal donation of $1 million to WWF to support our tiger conservation work.

WWF overall has committed to spend $50 million over the next five years on tiger conservation, and we hope to increase that to $85 million.

A turning point in tiger protection
    Our director general, Jim Leape, is enthused by the outcome of the Tiger Forum, saying: “I’m confident we will look back on this as a turning point in the effort to save one of the world’s best-loved animals.

“We’ve never before seen this kind of political support to save a single species. Conservation efforts too often languish for lack of political will. Here in St. Petersburg we have seen political will at the highest level – heads of government committing themselves to saving the tiger, and laying out concrete plans.”

The Global Tiger Recovery Programme lays out a comprehensive set of actions to help tigers recover from decades of poaching and destruction of their forest homes. Now that we have the strategy and real political momentum for doubling tiger numbers, we need to see immediate action on the ground, especially an increase in anti-poaching and anti-trafficking work.

The initial funding commitments, largely made by the tiger range countries themselves, will help get action underway. But much more funding – as much as $350 million – is still needed from the international community in coming months.

The 13 tiger range countries will meet again during the next six months to secure more cash for the recovery plan and will finalise the long-term financing of the plan in July. They will also reconvene in December 2011 to monitor how well the 12-year-plan to save tigers is working.

http://www.wwf.org.uk/news_feed.cfm?uNewsid=4422