With hard econonmic times everywhere some small town animal clinics
have had to close or cut back on services. I was so glad to hear that this
University's Vet school has stepped up to the plate.

Indiana News

Emergency Vet Clinic Sees High Demand
Purdue Clinic Plans To Add Staff, Considers Expansion

POSTED: 3:52 pm EDT August 1, 2010

LAFAYETTE, Ind. -- Purdue University's new emergency veterinary clinic has seen such high demand that organizers already are adding staff and considering expanding space.

The clinic, which took over July 1 for the now-closed Animal Emergency Clinic, has seen nearly 300 cases so far and is averaging eight to 10 cases per weeknight, said Paula Johnson, clinical assistant professor of emergency and critical care. Officials originally expected to see three to six cases each night.

Johnson said the high demand early on taxed the clinic, but new staff -- and possibly additional space -- is expected to ease the crunch.

"We prepared and planned as much as we possibly could," Johnson said. "Going through a lot of those growing pains has been good."

The service has hired an emergency veterinarian and technician from the closed city clinic, which Purdue paid $110,000 to take over. It expanded its veterinary intern program and also expects to add more technicians and a part-time emergency vet.

Renovations to create more hospital room also are being discussed.

"I am expecting to see it blossom," Johnson said.

Johnson said the service gives veterinary students more education and experience.

Betsy Schnur, a veterinary intern working the overnight rotation for the service, said cases range from kittens with red eyes to animals with wounds, seizures or in medical distress.

"We see everything," Schnur said. "If an animal is in distress I can open the airway, and if it is something that is over my head, I can call for someone. That is what I like about the internship, you have that extra help and you are not on your own."

Jim and Kathy LaPointe took their yellow Labrador retriever Nelson to the clinic after he was knocked down by another dog and began to suffer lameness.

"He is our special boy and we just had to make sure he was OK. He has always had joint issues," Jim LaPointe said. "It is really good that we can take him to Purdue for the service."

The clinic operates from 6 p.m. until 8 a.m. daily. It does not work with large animals.

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed