Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue Buffalo for cats

Blue Buffalo for cats

I bought a small bag of the Blue Buffalo dried food "Indoor Health". I noticed there seemed to be quite a few here feeding it and were happy with the results.

When I first opened the bag they seemed excited and I added it to their existing food. Maybe I switched them too fast, but they do not seem very thrilled about it now. Mama is constantly meowing at me when I walk by the food bowls. I keep telling her that is all there is, the old food is gone.

This morning I added a little to each dry food bowl. She sniffed it and I don't think she took any.

I was thinking maybe they eat less on this food because it is so nutritious? I am hoping so. Mama and Tink really need to slim down.

Anyone that is feeding this please comment.

Thanks.

I've tried the Blue Buffalo with Cali and Diego to no avail. They will not touch it, neither the dry nor the canned.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

That's the thing I like about Blue Buffalo and Blue Wilderness. They don't eat as much, because there are no fillers or by-products in it. I've had my cats on this stuff for over 5 years now and their coats are very soft and shiny. It can be more pricey than other cat foods. But you get what you pay for, and my cats have never had UTI's on this stuff. My male cats had issues with crystals when they were on the cheaper stuff.

Cats can be finicky. But they will not go hungry, believe me. If that's all you have out, they'll eat it if they're hungry enough.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I think I switched them over too fast. I just found on their website that you should gradually switch them over a period of 14 days. I did it in less than a week. I actually know better than this but I ran out of the others.

As Donna said, they won't starve themselves. When they find that is all there is available, they will nibble.

Pinot was switched over to Blue about nine months ago (I think). It was gradual; I put in very little, then worked up to the whole amount. Pinot was a LITTLE hesitant, but not for long. She has been eating less of this food as well; we've reduced to almost half the amount she used to get (which isn't a problem, she had gotten up to 11 lbs on her rather petite frame).
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

You're correct in the thought process that the food is more nutrient-dense, so they don't need to eat as much of it. HOWEVER, because there aren't as many fillers, they may not feel as full. It's kind of hit or miss. I know with dogs when owners switch over to a more nutrient-dense food, they need to feed less than their previous food, so the dog thinks its starving. Cats are usually more meticulous eaters, though. If yours are usually pretty good self-regulators, then they're probably eating less because they don't need to eat more, not because they don't like it. Give it a little bit of time and see, but be careful if they AREN'T eating, though. Cats can develop whats called "Fatty liver" when they stop eating and it can be a life-threatening condition.

Unlike dogs, cats WILL starve themselves if they don't like a change or are stressed (any change - moving, new pets in the household, new food, etc) so this is important to remember and identify early. I'm not trying to be "Worse case scenario" here, but my sister lost her cat because of fatty liver (and she was not an overweight cat) and I want to make sure more people are aware of it and what causes it. This is what I was taught in school and echoed through vets I've worked with.

facebook

I've been feeding my cats BB Wilderness dry for several years, mainly as a treat, and they do eat less of it than they did the other brands of dry I used to feed. Only one of my cats cries for more whenever I go into the kitchen. I have never tried the canned because of cost, and they are happy with Fancy Feast Gourmet wet food. Please go to www.catinfo.org because this vet's website warns of the perils of feeding dry food exclusively. She is my Bible for cat care!
    If anyone needs BB coupons (cat or dog, canned or dry, litter) I have extras and they are good only until 6/30/12 and I can't use them all. Just PM your address and I will gladly send.
    AvaJoy
    =^.".^=

Avatar courtesy of Kimlovescats . . . many thanks!
    EvErY LiFe ShOuLd HaVe NiNe CaTs

My guys LOVE BB, but there are only certain flavours that they will eat (go figure) . Usually the turkey is a hit, but anything other than that is a little more hit and miss. But you are right, they will eat a lot less on BB than other types of food.

Think of it this way, when you eat lots of rice (i.e. filler) when you have Chinese food, you are hungry again in a few hours. Cats are like that with some brands of dry cat food because there is lots of corn (i.e. filler) and when we free feed them, they just go back again when they are hungry...

Check on the bag for feeding amounts. It may be that the amounts are much less than you are used to.

Perhaps you could get a small bag of the old food and mix a bit in with the BB?
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by AvaJoy View Post
    Please go to www.catinfo.org because this vet's website warns of the perils of feeding dry food exclusively. She is my Bible for cat care!
    If anyone needs BB coupons (cat or dog, canned or dry, litter) I have extras and they are good only until 6/30/12 and I can't use them all. Just PM your address and I will gladly send.
    Pinot does not have BB Wilderness just dry. As I've posted several other places - she's a little picky with the formula of her food. There is the measure of dry, a spoonful of BB Spa Select canned (only seafood flavors, and only Spa Select, thank you very much), mixed with water to make gravy. Don't mess with the formula!!

Oh, and I will PM you - thanks! I'm about to need to stock up!
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Quote Originally Posted by AvaJoy View Post
    I've been feeding my cats BB Wilderness dry for several years, mainly as a treat, and they do eat less of it than they did the other brands of dry I used to feed. Only one of my cats cries for more whenever I go into the kitchen. I have never tried the canned because of cost, and they are happy with Fancy Feast Gourmet wet food. Please go to www.catinfo.org because this vet's website warns of the perils of feeding dry food exclusively. She is my Bible for cat care!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinot's Mom View Post
    Pinot does not have BB Wilderness just dry. As I've posted several other places - she's a little picky with the formula of her food. There is the measure of dry, a spoonful of BB Spa Select canned (only seafood flavors, and only Spa Select, thank you very much), mixed with water to make gravy. Don't mess with the formula!!

Oh, and I will PM you - thanks! I'm about to need to stock up!
    I emailed them and found out I did it completely wrong. Luckily I got a small bag of their old food yesterday just in case there was a problem. I do the free feeding thing and they say not to do it. My cats are nibblers so I don't quite know how to handle this.

Oh my goodness, and, yes, they get their wet food at dinner time. There is never enough gravy for them though. They pretty much lick the gravy off and leave the mystery meat behind.

I feed mine the Blue Wilderness Duck (they love)
    and blue indoor health.(they like)
    I also tried the chicken they will eat it but not everyday.
    so Ill give it to them once a week.
    They like the Salmon, Tuna & Turkey wet

Quote Originally Posted by maid25cats View Post
    I feed mine the Blue Wilderness Duck (they love)
    and blue indoor health.(they like)
    I also tried the chicken they will eat it but not everyday.
    so Ill give it to them once a week.
    They like the Salmon, Tuna & Turkey wet
    I want to switch them off of the Friskies gravy pouches and onto the Blue cans. It is a waste of money because they don't even eat the myster meat in the Friskies. I need to find a recipe for cat gravy. Wait that didn't sound right. Gravy for cats.

Mine have been on BB Duck dry for about 2 or 3 years now. They all love it! I feed the Blue Longevity to my two older cats and they like it just fine. None of my cats will touch the wet, though, so I generally feed them Wellness wet, any flavor, which they adore!
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!