Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Halo - Fibrosarcoma from microchip? Update #71

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Poor Halo! Miss Hoppy had radiation treatments that shrunk a tumor, but it doesn't eliminate it, that's our only experience with a pet and radiation.
    Karen, Thanks for the info. I'll ask the vet about it again.
    I have a feeling that he doesn't recommend it because this cancer is so aggressive. Shrinking the tumors as they grow (hopefully, no others will grow) wouldn't buy Halo more time.

I guess I was hoping that radiation could target the "roots" of this thing and kill them before they turned into tumors.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    Prayers for poor Halo!

Wonder what your vet would think of Regressin - or some thing like the Transfer Factor?

I hope Halo loses her fear and trusts you again soon!
    Thanks Candace ~ I'll make sure to ask at the next appointment.

Bobcat says Halo will let him cuddle her now. But, he has to go to her, she will not approach him. And she DOES NOT want to be picked up and held.

But, things seem to be getting back to normal. Halo and Pepper got into a scrap yesterday. That's their typical behavior. Pepper play attacks Halo and Halo screams bloody murder because she just doesn't understand "play".

Lord, I wish I was home to cuddle her. But, these days I'm lucky to have a job so it's only 9 more days........

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
    I'm so sorry to hear this- and I thank you for the information.
    Our new baby, Orion, who will be strictly indoors got the chip as a welcoming gift from the vet as he has shown escapist tendencies.
    Orion sends all best healing purrings to Halo.
    Thanks Barbara. Congratulations on your new baby!

We have built a pen behind our house that the cats can access through a cat door. So, they do go outside but are protected as we've seen wolves and black bear behind our house.

Microchip and cancer

Oh Lisa, so sorry to hear about Halo! I know exactly what you are going through, me little 6 year old Yorkie had cancer, the tumor they removed from between his shoulder blades also contained the microchip....we had to send him on to the big dog park in the sky on May 27, just covered with tumors.
    We tried treatments and chemo but they made him so sick we stopped .....trying to help him live longer but so sick would have been for us, not him. We miss our sweet boy so much!
    I belong to a small group of pet owners whose pet also experienced cancer after microchipping....and the chip makers ought to be ashamed of themselves, they still maintain that these chips are completely safe!
    We will have a web site up and running in the next week or so where pet owners can report/register adverse reactions in their pets from microchips...please check it out at www.chipmenot.com
    Again, so sorry about Halo....we need to be strong and loud in our objections to chips!

Most pets have no problem with microchips, but when they do....the problems are severe! My boyfriend's little girl kitty, Mau Mau, has a chip and I have showed him this thread. He said she has had no problems with it, so he will leave it in. He has decided not to microchip his other cat, Buddy, though. I hope Halo has no further problems and the worst is over. Sending good thoughts and prayers Halo's way.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

Microchips and Cancer

Hi Katlady! Please just watch the spot where the chip was implanted...any signs of a bump should send Mau Mau straight to the vet!

I am so sorry to hear of this.

Please do not be so hard on yourselves. I believe that ALL (repeat.... ALL) things in life come with the possibilities of consequesnces. If you knew going in to the chipping procedure that it had a .05 % chance (just a random number here people, not a hard fact) of causing cancer, would you not take a 99.05 % chance that the chip would HELP to return her to you if lost?? Not everything is a guarrentee.

Rutherford had gotten a fibrosarcoma at a vaccination injection site, and it eventually cost him his life.....but I do not stop giving vaccines!! The diseases those vaccines prevent are much more commonplace than the cancer that he grew. On the reverse side, if Rutherford would have dies from panleukopenia or rabies I would be kicking myself for not doing my part in getting him the proper preventative measure.

I sure hope all that made sense, because I do not wish to take away from Halo's sickness.....I just hate to see you blaming yourself for things that just happen sometimes.

Best of luck with dear Halo.

Just curious, did Rutherford have a chip? If so, the chip rather an the vaccines may be the culprit. W believe that many pet owners do not realize that the chip is the problem, not the vaccine injection site....
    And now that I've watched my Scotty boy die of cancer, you bet that miniscule % of 'what might happen' would stop me from chipping again. There are other ways to identify your pet including a tatoo! We've heard of pets being euthanized because the chip reader would not scan the chip....if anyone bothered to check and see if there is a chip!
    Pet owners, like me, go into this blindly, believing what the chip mfgs say on their sites about the chip being 100% safe....wish I'd done my homework, if I had just googled pet chip cancer I never would have chipped Scotty....there are a lot of cases out there!

No chip in Rutherford.

But I will be honest, I prefer the visable tattoo to the microchip that people forget to scan for.

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy and Delilah View Post
    How awful, Lisa. I'm so sorry. I am sending lots of thoughts and prayers for Halo's complete recovery.
    {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Thanks for this valuable information.
    Thank you for the thoughts and prayers for Halo's complete recovery. The vet says he hopes for the best but fibrosarcoma returns 30% to 70% of the time. Naturally, we hope it never returns.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    I'm so sorry that this has happened to your sweet Halo but I'm grateful for the info as well. We'll pray w/o ceasing here for all of you. Keep the faythe.
    Mary ~ Thank you so much. I'm doing my best to stay positive.

Quote Originally Posted by mysweetscotty View Post
    Hi Katlady! Please just watch the spot where the chip was implanted...any signs of a bump should send Mau Mau straight to the vet!
    Trust me, we are. What everyone is saying about the good outweighing the bad is true. If Mau Mau got lost and was never returned to us because she wasn't chipped, we would feel bad about that. Our cats are NEVER outdoors, they all strongly prefer to be indoors, so the chip debate is a moot point with us. Mau Mau came with the chip and just the address was changed. She seems well and happy, so for now, we leave it alone.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

Quote Originally Posted by katladyd View Post
    I am sending prayers and good thoughts Halo's way. It is stories like yours, and I've heard a few of them, that have made me shy away from vaccinations and microchips. They are both good things, but not worth cancer. My heart goes out to your family.
    Halo had bad reactions to the innoculations, so we stopped those years ago. Our vet told us that rabies is the only one required by law. But, to NEVER get the 3-year rabies shot as it has caused fibrosarcoma. He told us that's why the 3-year shot is usually given in the back leg because the leg can be cut off if cancer develops. So, we made sure he never got the 3-year shot.

But, we felt we were doing the right thing by getting her chipped.
    We have chipped 20 cats since we lost Kuhio. Halo is the ONLY one who has had any problems. We still believe that chipping is the right thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by krazyaboutkatz View Post
    I'm so sorry to hear this. All of my cats have been microchipped as well as my two new kittens. They actually all came that way except for Storm which I had done several years later. I'm sorry that you've stopped posting on PT. I hope that you'll decide to come back. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent Halo's way. Please take care. (((HUGS)))
    I'm glad all your babies are doing well.
    Halo is the only one of our 5 that didn't come already chipped.
    We felt we were doing the right thing. I still think the benefits of chipping far outweigh the the risk for most pets.

Thank you for keeping us in your prayers.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Oh my goodness!

I am so very sorry you and Halo are going through all this! We try so hard to do what is right for our pets. To have something backfire like this, backfire BIG TIME, it just terrible.

Hugs for you, and gentle chin rubs for Halo.
    Yes, it has backfired big time on sweet Halo.
    Bobcat has delivered your chin rubs. He said that Halo is snoozing away a rainy day in her "sewer pipe"