Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sad but Glad Day

Sad but Glad Day

Today is a very sad day for our family - we buried my son Rob five years ago today. He would be 32 now. There is no way to describe the pain within us - me - that I have had to deal with since that time. To lose a child is to lose a part of yourself, to lose a part of your present and future. I see some of his friends now and then - they are married with children and I wonder if things had happened differently, would I be holding a child of his now? Would that child look like him? Of course, there are so many questions like this that will never be answered. All I know is that I think of him everyday and miss him every moment.

Today is Dominic's 4th birthday - he was born on the first anniversary of Rob's burial. How strange that was. I had hoped that Christy would not have her child during that week but that morning the phone call came and our precious little grandson was born. So today there is also joy in my heart. I have another precious little boy in my life now. He by no means replaces Rob - Rob will always have his own very special place in my heart but then so will Dominic (as well as Christy, his mother, his sister, Jasmine and my other daughter, Amy). As I watch Dominic grow I wonder what Rob would think of him. Would he enjoy spending time with him. I try to remember if Rob did things the same way. If Dominic's tempter is very similar to Rob's. It's amazing how little your remember about what they were like at that age 30 years later. I see Rob in his smile, his laughter, feel Rob in his hugs and kisses.

There will be tears of sorrow today as I go to the cemetery today to water the flowers on Rob's grave. But there will also be tears of joy today as we celebrate Dominic's birthday. How lucky I am to have to wonderful boys in my life even if one is gone now.

Happy 4th Birthday, Dominic!!!!

"That they may have a little peace, even the best
    dogs are compelled to snarl occasionally."
    --William Feather

This post brought tears to my eyes. No words are adequate to console you on this sad anniversary. Sending prayers of strength today.

Yes you truly have a blessing in your grandchild, I am glad you have him.

Edited to add...Happy Birthday Dominic!
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Tears flowing here too. Oh my goodness. I can not imagine losing a child. As I have probably said before, I would have to be put away.

Sending giant hugs to all of you.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DOMINIC!!! I hope you have a wonderful birthday today. You are so handsome.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Happy Birthday, Dominic! Love the picture of him with Pippi, she's just his size!
    I've Been Frosted

I am so sorry for your loss...
    What a beautiful little boy Dominic is! I can see he is being groomed already
    I'm also sure your son had a big part in Dominic's birthday

Dominic is so cute and I am sure a complete joy to you. That smile could melt anyone's heart.
    I am so sorry for your lose.
    May the time you spend with Dominic help heal your heart.

Happy Birthday Dominic!! This is so bittersweet to have a day represent both joy and sorrow. I can't begin to imagine how it would feel to lose a child. Your attitude is very healthy though - (((HUGS))) to you on this happy/sad day!! Dominic is adorable!!

What an emotional day for you and your family. I'm sorry for the loss of your son, but on the other hand.....

Happy Birthday Dominic!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

{{{HUGS}}}

Happy Birthday, Dominic!!

I'm sad for you and I'm glad for you. Your grandson is beautiful and it shows in his bright face just how loved he is.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Happy Birthday, Dominic! And 4 Dog Mother, thinking and praying for you at this time.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

thinking of you all -
    much love to you
    see you soon.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

That was a Sad Day, five years ago.

{{{Hugs}}} to Mom and the entire Family.

I totally understand.....I have been there....everything you say is so....although for each of us it can be different, it is also the same....my thoughts and heart go out to you at this time.....

Thanks to PCB!

(((HUGS))) to you and the family Diana.

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets