Thread: Training Help please

Training Help please

I would like some ideas how to handle the one and only "quirk" my foster bichon, Willy, has. He is 7 years old.

He is bossy. When he doesn't want to move, if you try to insist, he growls. If you persist, he will snap. If you walk away, he "won," he was rewarded for growling, so can't do that. So far, I can attach the leash to his collar and he will move.

There is a clear pattern to his "trigger." I am not sure how to modify his behavior long term.

Here are specific examples:
    1. Willy is napping in Dad's arms. Dad wants to get up. Willy doesn't want to move. If Dad insists on moving him, Willy growls. So Dad has to call me, I attach the leash and get him off.

2. We drive home from a nice walk at the conservation farm. The other 4 dogs get out of the car, Willy stays put. He is comfortable, resting his chin on the rim of a pet donut bed. I tell him come, out, call him, nothing. I reach over and rock his body, he growls. I have to get the leash and give a tug; then he moves.

3. Wake up in the morning and I get up. Willy won't use the stairs to the bed, and it is too high for him to jump down (he will / does, but sooner or later he could get hurt). I say Get UP! and the other 4 are up, down the stairs, off the bed. Willy stays put ( he MAY roll his eyes in my direction, lol). So I call him using his name: Willy, OFF! Nothing. If I reach toward him, he will growl. So I have to go get a leash, attach that and get him to the stairs and down.

Getting up on the bed in the evening, he tells me he wants up, by standing on his rear legs and hammering the mattress. He will allow me to pick him up and get him up there, no problem. Because that is what he wants!

Now, in every case, if I wanted to do something he likes, such as get up in the morning and say, WALKIES! He is happy to get down off the bed, no problem; he is promptly off Dad's lap.

I have considered setting up a crate. Each time he growls and I have to use the leash to move him, he goes in the crate for a time out. But I'm not sure if that is the right approach.

Ideas / suggestions appreciated!
    Last edited by Freedom; 07-19-2010 at 09:50 PM.

Have you tried a spritz from a spray bottle when he growls? You'd have to be very consistent, but maybe it's worth a shot!
    I've Been Frosted

Thanks, Karen, will think about that.

The trainer for the classes I took the other pups to suggested I get him to FOCUS first (the first command she teaches in classes) and progress from there.

For now, at least I know I can attach the leash and he will come along.

If he snaps or bites, he gets kicked out of this rescue program, so I have to be careful not to let it escalate.

hmm.. when Roger was little.. well.. more little.. he growled when my kid got too rough or hold him for too long.. and I simply but strongly said NO! sometimes even clapped my hands.. and he´d just look at me with sad eyes and tolerate being "hostage" longer...

he doesn´t do it anymore but he gets the no part still.. and he knows no means he´s doing something wrong and stops..

maybe as Willy is older he had his way too much.. and he needs to start from zero.. it´s not good if he growls to anyone.. but even less to you dad.. what if he reaaaaally needs to get up and can´t wait for you to come get him off.. Willy needs to know that he HAS to do what told even if doesn´t likes it/feels like doing it..

right now I think with this he thinks he´s alpha.. as he chooses to do or not what you ask.. he´d do what HE likes/wants.. so he´s choosing that too.. he needs to realize he´s not.. and maybe the focusing part is good...

maybe also bribing him off.. or just maybe "puppy" classes all over...

old dogs DO learn new tricks
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Thank you, Isabel.

Yes, we are including in his bio on Petfinder that he needs to have positive reinforcement obedience training.

As long as I attach the leash, he behaves and comes when we want him to move.

He is tough to bribe; I have yet to find a treat which interests him! Even bits of hot dog, once in a while he takes it but mostly he sniffs and turns his head away. After living 3 years with my Starvin' Marlin, this is quite amusing, ha haa.

Smile

Would it help to keep a leash on him all of the time? Maybe a leash is his trigger to tell him he's not in charge. It couldn't hurt to try leaving one on him for a day or two. At the very least, it would be easier to grab.

Sounds like he has everyone well trained. But I think putting a leash on him before asking for something is a good idea or if he catches on to that you would have to leave it on. You could ask him for the behaviour you want and if he growls then enforce it with the leash, like getting him off your dad. Maybe rewarding the good behaviour would help a bit but as was mentioned, at this stage you'll have to be very consistent. You could work with the NILIF treatment also, this usually shows the dog that he is not the Alpha.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Yes! That is what I did; used the leash, attached it to his collar BEFORE I asked him to do anything. Gave the verbal command and a gentle tug. No problems at all!

So today I used the leash a bit and didn't bother, a bit, to mix it up. He IS coming along! NO GROWLS!

The leash

It seems as though you are doing the right thing by using the leash. I've only had one "puppy" (dogs all my life but my first puppy) and we went through some training classes. The leash approach seems to be working for you and is not harming him. As he is older you need to continue being consistent and BE PATIENT! He is un-learning a bad habit/bad behavior.

I think the crate (a time-out) when he does growl would reinforce the lesson- that growling is not acceptable. Maybe continue with the leash for a while. Then try without the leash, if he growls put on the leash and put him in the cage for a short time. EVERY TIME he growls, then leash and crate.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Yes! That is what I did; used the leash, attached it to his collar BEFORE I asked him to do anything. Gave the verbal command and a gentle tug. No problems at all!

So today I used the leash a bit and didn't bother, a bit, to mix it up. He IS coming along! NO GROWLS!

Good that you finally got him not to growl and come along, at least. Just be consistent doing this one and maybe you'll get him to behave and do what you would want from him over the next couple of weeks.
    Willy maybe seven but if he has to start off the training then he will be like around 1 on that.

This is once again a problem of dog pack hierarchy. Your dog sees himself as your superior. If you were his superior, he would move whenever you told him to. He is the pack leader in his mind and therefore claims the space that he wants. If you were pack leader he would have to submit to you if you wanted the space he was in. He is claiming the space. I suggest you read up on the pack mentality and dog psychology.

Thanks, but that wasn't necessary. I just applied positive reinforcement training techniques and he is fine now. This original post is a few months old. BTW it was not dominance behavior.