Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Colectomy...Has anyone's cat had this surgery?

I can't offer any advice but my thoughts and prays will be with you and your husband and of course for Simon.

It's never easy to make a decision about if it's time to let go or not but I think that what Laura's Babies said makes a lot of sense "I would check out ALL options and weigh them all, research online as much as possiable to learn all I could keeping in mind quality of life verses quanity. If he could live a normal happy life after having that surgery and you can afford it, and are prepared for the after care and make my decision from there."

Good luck,
    Melissa

My cat witches had many enemas. On alot of different foods, meds, and fiber. I spent alot of money too. And i agree no price could add up to his life. 2000 for the colectomy surgery alone. Dont do it i repeat dont do it. My baby lasted 4 months after the surgery. Weighing at 6 lbs at his death. He just skyrocketed after the surgery. If u ever wanna talk heres my e-mail. [email protected] with love and purrs and hope this advice helps melissa

I've had no experience w/this severe of a problem. My RB Pidge would become blocked occasionally but not until the last year of her life and she was nearly 22 when she went to the Bridge. An enema would fix her right up and I can recall only having it done a few times. I do want to add my good wishes, though, that all will go well for your Simon. Keep the faythe.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Melissa, I am so very sorry that Witches didn't make it. I don't know what went wrong. I did a lot of research before deciding to go ahead with Simon's surgery. Every message board I went to I got the same response "wish we would have had the surgery sooner". Simon had his surgery the end of July and is doing great. No special meds or food. I pray that he continues to thrive. I really didn't have a choice on whether to remove the colon or not. Believe me I was scared to death to put him through that. He was suffering so much, and when he suffers, so do I.