Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: german shepherd/great dane mix

german shepherd/great dane mix

Does any one have experience with GS/GD mixes? What they tend to look like, their size or temperment? I have one of both and I am debating on ot breed them or just get them fixed. They are both awesome, well tempered, beautiful pure breds. Any pros or cons that anyone can let me in on? Any pictures also would be AWESOME. Thanks

Please don't breed them. There are enough mixed breeds dying in shelters everyday. Please get them fixed ASAP.

Fix them, why contribute to the dog over population? I don't care how well tempered a dog is. There is no use of breeding mixed breeds or purebreds unless you show them. There are pleny of huge dogs being put to sleep in shelters everynight. Also if you breed you have more of a change of losing dogs or puppies, and both your male and female getting cancer. Don't delay spay and neuter today.
    As a nation, we claim to love cats and dogs. Millions of households have pets, and billions of dollars are spent yearly on pet supplies and food. But as a nation, we should take a hard, sobering look at a different annual statistic: the millions of dogs and cats given up to shelters or left to die on the streets. And the numbers tell only half the story.
    Every cat or dog who dies as a result of pet overpopulation—whether humanely in a shelter or by injury, disease, or neglect—is an animal who, more often than not, would have made a wonderful companion, if given the chance. Tremendous as the problem of pet overpopulation is, it can be solved if each of us takes just one small step, starting with not allowing our animals to breed. Here's information about this crisis and why spaying and neutering is the first step to a solution.
    Please watch this, it should change your mind
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYBz2gjlEfA
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

First off, I'd like to welcome you to PT. Joining will give you lots of great opportunities to learn, and have lots of fun on the way! I do not suggest breeding your dogs. You'll just add to the population and more will end up at the pound. There are plenty of mixed breed dogs waiting to be adopted already. Both of them have common health problems and if you put them together it wouldn't end up good. The pups could have disasterous health problems, too. Alter them immedietley or they might breed without your knowing. How old are they?
    Last edited by zoomer; 10-14-2006 at 06:55 PM. Reason: make some additions to my post

Thanks for joining PT - it's a wonderful place! Full of fun and learning!

Please, it's up to us animal lovers to be part of the solution for the problem the world has created. Be a responsible pet owner, and do not breed these dogs. Please spay and neuter.

Please rescue from a shelter - or buy from a reputable breeder!

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

Quote Originally Posted by BC_MoM

Please, it's up to us animal lovers to be part of the solution for the problem the world has created. Be a responsible pet owner, and do not breed these dogs. Please spay and neuter.

i couldnt agree more! PLEASE do not breed...

BTW: welcome to PT, we would all love to see pictures of your babies, i am also owned by a great dane

Welcome to pet talk!
    I agree with everyone else, please do not breed.

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

Quote Originally Posted by BC_MoM

I greatly agree to that, couldnt have said it any better!

Quote Originally Posted by JenBKR
    Please don't breed them. There are enough mixed breeds dying in shelters everyday. Please get them fixed ASAP.
    I'm with you on that one!
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by JenBKR
    Ditto , not to mention the hip problems both dogs have. Mixing them would be disaterouse. Why would you want to breed your dogs??
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

Quote Originally Posted by buttercup132
    Ditto , not to mention the hip problems both dogs have. Mixing them would be disaterouse. Why would you want to breed your dogs??
    I was wondering the same thing...

I dont think you should breed them together. I dont think its right to make designer breeds,please alter them. They could mate whether you like it or not .If you breed them together there babies might have health problems.

Welcome to Pet Talk!
    I agree with everyone....
    There is no need to make more when the world already has too many.

Both breeds are perfect as they are.

PLEASE don't breed them!!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Although I agree with everyone here, I do not think they should assume that these dogs are gonna go to a shelter. They could be kept by you or given to loving homes. It's your choice, not the Pet Talk member's choice, but they give good advice that in most situations you should heed. But is there a good reason why you want to breed your dogs?

Jasper
    [Irish Setter]

Quote Originally Posted by Husky15
    Although I agree with everyone here, I do not think they should assume that these dogs are gonna go to a shelter. They could be kept by you or given to loving homes.
    Yes, she may find all loving homes and they may not end up in a shelter. But every dog born, is another dog in a shelter that is put to sleep.

There are plenty of mixed breed puppies needing a home, it's a really depressing thing.

Good luck and if money is ever a problem with spaying and neutering, there is shelters that will help pay for them.
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)