Thread: Merlin is not a happy camper :-(

Merlin is not a happy camper :-(

This is the first time I'm turned on my computer today and came to start this new thread. I see that Casiesmom bumped up the stud tail thread so I will address two issues.

Firstly, his stud tail is almost all cleared up. Nightly washings with hydrogren peroxide have does the job so I stopped it about 3 nights ago. Besides, it was getting to be a chore with my neighbour having to come over to scruff him while I peformed the dasterdly deed. He was really miserable the last couple of times so I figure enough is enough.

Secondly, Merlin had sir jury today. I took him into the vet two weekends ago not only for the stud tail but also because of his bad breath. Well, he had his dental today and two toof extractions, upper right side. As well they shaved his flanks, tummy, sides - anywhere there were matts or knots. **Ahem Richard, that "knots" not "knutz"**

I went to pick him up a couple of hours ago and the vet tech brought him out and he was screaming, hissing and spitting. Sorry, had to put a laugh icon in here because although it was sad to see him that way, I couldn't help but giggle. He was under the influence again.

Within 5 min of coming out of the carrier at home, he jumped in the litterbox and had the biggest pee ever. He peed in the carrier on the way home too. He continues to stumble but he did mange to jump up on the dining room chair where he resides, sleeping it off. Oh, wait a minute, he just jumped off.

We are both very uncomfortable because we have a heat wave going on now with temps in the mid-80's. I know, I know, that's tepid for you Southern folks. I'm about to take a cold shower but I'm sure Merlin is a bit cooler with his exposed "bits".
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Thanks for giving us a much needed Merlin update. I'm so glad to hear that his stud tail is almost gone and hopefully it won't return. I'm sorry to hear that he needed to have some of his teeth extracted but I'm sure he'll feel much better once he's recovered. I hope he'll recover quickly and feel better soon.

Storm wants to let him know that he's also had several teeth extracted and now he feels so much better. He's also very grumpy when I pick him up at the vets and he's tried to bite the vet techs and he growls at them too. He hisses at me and at everyone else when he gets home. It's just part of getting older. He's my grumpy old man as I call him. He's also much cooler now with his lion cut and even though the temp. was in the 80's today, he was racing around like a big kitten and he's 14 1/2 years old.

I don't know how well Merlin will tolerate you brushing his teeth, but after he heals up in a few weeks you might want to try to brush his teeth at least once a week. I've been doing this ever since Storm had his latest dental in Oct. and I now do it with all of my cats. Now since Ziggy has some moderate gingivitis on her upper gums I'm trying to do it twice a week. At first it was fairly difficult but now it's not as bad.

Do you have any new pictures of Merlin? I'd love to some if you do.

We are so relieved that Merlin's stud tail will so be a thing of the past and he has had that certain operation that will make him hopefully a calmer Cat
    His reaction to the Vet sounds a lot like My Almond Rocca Angel who was banned from two clinics because she was so hard to handle.
    Oh , Rocca!!! Could you please take her somewhere eslse, please??
    I hope Max and Spreckles Angels take time out from the Awesome Angels Army visit To Scotland to tell Merlin that this trip to the Vets was very important, and that Their Meeeowmie would have treats and toys for Her Brave Little Cat Companion!!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Oh dear, what an ordeal Merlin and you have been through, but as the medicine wears off and he is back to normal, I’m sure he’ll feel a lot better with his tail almost cleared up and his teeth cleaned. Since it’s hot, the fur that came off is just an extra bonus.

Wow, he certainly made sure to tell you what he thinks about going to the vet and being prodded.

Hopefully you'll both have a relaxed weekend and feel great all next week!

Kisses to Merlin and hugs to you!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Merlin is going to feel SO much better in a few days. With that stud tail healed and the treatments finished, plus his teefies cleaned and treated and the ouchie ones gone, just as soon as he recovers he is gonna be happier.

You are doing great with him, Slick, I am so pleased you took him in! Now, if you could just invest in climate control he would really like that.

Aw, the poor boy. Adding being uncomfortable from the heat to the mixture doesn't help matters, I'm sure. I'll bet he's already starting to feel better, though, since all the mats are gone and his toofers are nice and clean. Better and better.......
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Bad teeth can louse up everything, in cats or humans. They start a feedback loop of inflammation that can exacerbate stud tail, urinary irritation, allergies, or even arthritis. With the bad teeth gone, Merlin will be a MUCH happier camper soon!

The "stud tail" spot was one of the ones Smudge was over-washing before I got his medicine regimen sorted. He's a multi-allergy cat, and is doing much better now that he's eating grain-free food and getting chlorpheniramine and Omega Caps (skin/coat supplement) in a bit of canned food twice a day and transdermal prednisolone in his ear every other night. But even now I sometimes give him an extra dose of the latter when he starts scratching his face too much! I think the hot summer weather brings out mold that's bad for him.

Ah - he just left his snooze basket to head for the kitchen. Time for some Tuna Special, perhaps...

Love, Columbine

Bad teeth and mats- that doesn't sound like fun. I hope the Merlin boy will be much better with the shorter fur.
    Orion says: heat wave - that is just the temperature I need.(We are in the 90s now). But of course Abys come from South East Asia and Merlin looks like a Canadian forest cat

Hi Merlin,
    With your tail problem and your ouchie toofs, it sounds like you weren't feeling too good. I'm happy to know that your whitecoat was able to help you. Take things easy and get better very soon. I'm sure your Meowmie will help by giving you lots of lovies and attention, she loves you very much and doesn't want you to be uncomfortable.

We're having a heat wave here too and there doesn't seem to be an end to it anytime soon. When Meowmie and Soncat go to work they leave the air conditioner on for me along with plenty of water. But I can feel how hot it is outside when I sit in my window.

Be sure to let your fellow kitties know if there's anything we can do to help you. Feel better soon!

Your friend,
    Groucho
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Aw, poor baby! Merlin I hope you feel lots better real soon. After you heal up, maybe your mommy can give you your own tooth brush just to chew on. That would help some if you won't allow the brushing part.
    (((HUGS))) to you and your mommy too.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gosh, Merlin is being 'attacked' from both ends! Really, the tooth thing...I hope he is like the rest of us and after the intial assualt is over, he will feel so much better!

Not sure I am feeling your 'heat' issue....LOL. It is ridiculous here.

Oh, my beloved Merlin, I am so glad to hear your hurtful things were taken care of.. I know you will be feeling so much better before you know it!

Won't we have a wonderful time in Scotland?!!!

From your very own sweetie Sparkler
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Ming is my vet's nightmare! He has opened up a vet tech every time he's been at the vet's. I always have to go in the back with them when he's been there overnight so he can be taken out of his cage. He is that mean! He's a real sweetheart at home, almost shy, but at the vet's, he's a different cat! They are actually a little scared of him. He is going in on Friday for his annual check up and I don't know who will hate it more, Ming or the vets! Give lovely, sweet, Merlin loves from me. He has become one of my favorite cats on PT.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

Quote Originally Posted by krazyaboutkatz View Post
    Thanks for giving us a much needed Merlin update. I'm so glad to hear that his stud tail is almost gone and hopefully it won't return.

Do you have any new pictures of Merlin? I'd love to some if you do.

I am so glad about Merlin's stud tail being almost gone, and I hope he won't have any further tail or toof problems! I agree with krazyaboutkatz, photos any time
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678