Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We Have a Feral Hanging Around

We Have a Feral Hanging Around

He's been wandering into our yard...well, we *think (and HOPE)* it is a he...on a semi-regular basis for about 8 weeks now. So much has been going on in our life and he seems quite feral, so I have not even begun to think about organizing a way to attempt TNR for him. I cannot bring another cat into the house but would be more than willing to either provide food & shelter outside OR tame him down and attempt to home him. But he won't let me get within 25 feet of him. Even though he seems to be getting the idea that I am bringing food out for him, he runs and won't come to the food until I go back inside the house. Best I can do is sit on my back steps while he eats 25-30 feet down the hill of my back yard.
    So for now, it's just feeding him...When I see him, I take wet food out...Other times, I leave a bowl of water in the yard and another bowl of water and some dry food in an old shed down the back hill. He knows the food is in there but I have a feeling sometimes other critters are getting that dry food.
    Here are some pictures of the *guy*(???) we are calling Hunter, he looks black in some pics but he's gray:
    (he looks closer than he is, I have decent zoom on my camera and when I take pics through the window, he comes closer)

Here Hunter is playing with some catnip branches I placed down the hill to try to attract him and give me a chance to talk to him while he played with it:

After those catnip pics were taken, I thought maybe I was making progress with him getting used to staying at a distance while I spoke to him...But alas, he didn't come around as far as I know for a few days, the next time he did, he seemed even more afraid of me and has not been warming up to me at all except to seem to know I am putting food down.

~~Pat: Mom to (L-R in siggy)Philly, Piper, Molly & Kit

Man! He is really a looker isn't he? Don't give up on him keep trying and maybe one day he will come around, he sure looks worth the effort. If he don't at least you know he is fed and has a safe haven to go to if he needs it. What a handsome boy he is!!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Isn't he just a doll? A fine feline specimen!
    I'm happy to provide basic needs but would like to do more...If Hunter will let me.
    I even have someone who showed a slight interest in taking him IF I can tame him down...he'd be strictly indoors with her as she lives in a townhouse/apt. complex that does not allow dogs but does allow indoor-only cats.
    He is very afraid of people, though. I saw him heading toward the road one day and thought "oh no, PLEASE go to the back"...he started running toward the back, I watched for a car but instead it was just a jogger running down the road.
    I'm pretty rural where I am but there are a lot of developments nearby and way more traffic than when we moved here in '82.

Tincture of time. We also have a feral who has been coming around for about the same time as yours.

I think ours has had some human contact in the past. He comes up on the back porch to eat, and I have been able to pet him. And I heard a distinct purr the other day

We know a visiting Vet, and in another month or so, I plan to give him some Valium and she will neuter him here. I think he'd be a great barn cat, but have my doubts he would ever adjust to being indoors.

That's great that your visitor is friendlier, Grace.
    If Hunter would let me pet him, I'd get right out to borrow or buy a humane trap so I could have him vetted. It doesn't seem he's had any contact with humans the way he acts.
    I wonder if the days he doesn't seem to be here if he's visiting someone elses yard and hanging out there for a few days. He certainly isn't skin & bones, but of course, he's a fantastic hunter, that's why we named him that...We saw him hunting for his meal a couple times. He definitely knows the ways of living in the "wild" on his own.

When I see a feral at the Porch Angels Feeding stations in the front or back, I feel so sad.
    I look at My Found Cats and think there for the grace of God go you.

I wonder if your vistor was a Kitten who was once loved and the apple of a family's eye , and then one day he became older , and not being neutered he sprayed and this was banished to the life of a Feral Cat
    That is such a sad life always looking for food, being chased off by people, dogs and sometimes the resident Cats
    At least Hunter has a friend to leave out Food and Catnip and a friend to help Hunter maybe find that special Fyrr Ever Home and his place in the Sun.
    We are praying for Hunter , that he will be a Survivor and be a loved and the apple of a Family's eye once more.
    Bless You for helping
    Last edited by catmandu; 07-07-2010 at 04:46 PM.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu View Post
    When I see a feral at the Porch Angels Feeding stations in the front or back, I feel so sad.
    I look at My Found Cats and think there for the grace of God go you.

I wonder if your vistor was a Mitten who was once loved and the apple of a family's eye , and then one day he became older , and not being neutered he sprayed and this was banished to the life of a Feral Cat
    That is such a sad life always looking for food, being chased off by people, dogs and sometimes the resident Cats
    At least Hunter has a friend to leave out Food and Catnip and a friend to help Hunter maybe find that special Fyrr Ever Home and his place in the Sun.
    We are praying for Hunter , that he will be a Survivor and be a loved and the apple of a Family's eye once more.
    Bless You for helping
    Hunter seems pretty young...I'd guestimate his(?) age at between 1 & 2 years old...Something about him just doesn't look fully mature yet. But of course, my Kit is 3 and still looks like she's barely 1 in size and behavior!

He sure is handsome. Just keep doing what you're doing and hopefully in time he'll begin to trust you more. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by krazyaboutkatz View Post
    He sure is handsome. Just keep doing what you're doing and hopefully in time he'll begin to trust you more. Good luck.
    I'm hoping so! I plan on cleaning out the old shed, which I've been putting food & water in, when the weather cools down. Then I'll put our late-Nellie's dog house inside the shed with hay in it. That way, Hunter will have a good place to go if he hasn't learned to trust me by winter. Unless he miraculously gets very tame before then and I manage to home him with someone. I'm not sure how serious the one tentative offer was.

I think that Hunter like My Scrappy Two and Tubster Panther is evaluating you and slowly making up his mind as whether to come closer and make your home his FurrEver Place in the Sun
    We are hoping and praying that Our Porch Angels who never found their FurrEver home will convince Hunter that you have just the right place where he will be a safe cherished Cat Companion
    We are all crossing Our Paws at the Found Cat Hotel

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.

WOW!!! That sure is one very beautiful kitty! What a face!

Be patient with him and keep doing what you're already doing. Unfortunately, there's no way of knowing what this poor kitty has been through and if he has ever had a bad experience with some uncaring human. It will take time for Hunter to learn that he can trust you and you won't do anything to hurt him. Given time, he'll respond to your love but it has to be at his pace.

PS: I love your siggy with the surfing kitties!
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu View Post
    I think that Hunter like My Scrappy Two and Tubster Panther is evaluating you and slowly making up his mind as whether to come closer and make your home his FurrEver Place in the Sun
    We are hoping and praying that Our Porch Angels who never found their FurrEver home will convince Hunter that you have just the right place where he will be a safe cherished Cat Companion
    We are all crossing Our Paws at the Found Cat Hotel
    I went out earlier this evening to put dry food and water in the shed and refresh the big bowl of water I keep out in the yard, then started watering some of my potted plants, when Hunter showed up. So I put some wet food down for him and talked to him from a distance while I ate. After he ate, he went to a favorite spot of his and I continued to talk to him as I went about my chores but eventually he went off.

I wonder if Hunter has been ill used by people and is just a bit scared of making a new friend.
    You will just have to keep talking to Hunter, he can understand your tone of voice and sooner or later we pray he decides to trust you enough to let you help him find his FurrEver Home.

Wow, he's gorgeous. He looks like my Krissy. Good luck!

Hunter is a very handsome fellow! Fingers and paws crossed!

kisskisskisskiss for Kit, Molly, Philly and Piper too!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678