Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High School Diploma via Correspondence?

High School Diploma via Correspondence?

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with receiving a high school diploma via a mail correspondence course?

My son has expressed an interest in this. He needs less than one year of credits, but does not want to go back our local high school.

I'm not sure about this. I wonder how legitimate this is.

Thanks.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

I would find out why he does not want to go back to school. Is he being bullied? Does he not feel as if he fits in? Had a bad experience with a girl? Running away from the problem does not help painful as it might be.
    Not wanting to go to high school is something that many teens don't want to do but need to. It's part of growing up and learning to get along with people. I still have high school friends from over 30 years ago. Does he not have friends, not do sports, not belong to any clubs, not want to go to college?
    What happens when he decides he does not want to go to work because he is being bullied or unhappy? Most teenage boys have tons of friends to hang out with and do things with. My boys always had friends over.
    Perhaps some therapy is needed.
    Perhaps he is in pain and afraid. I would give him lots of love, support, therapy and not let him quit high school but find the true root of the problem. Best of luck to you and him.

Yes, what plans does he have for life after high school? That is what matters most at this point, he can then speak to colleges, trade schools, military recruiters or future employers if he's planning that route and see what they recommend.
    I've Been Frosted

I used to teach high school and have reservations about these mail correspondence courses. By finishing his credits this way, will they meet your state's requirements for graduation? What are his plans for after high school? Has he considered maybe going to night GED courses? No matter what he decides to do, that high school diploma will matter.

Have you spoken to anyone at his school about this...one of his teachers, a guidance counsellor, the principal? Has your son told you why he doesn't want to go back? Have you noticed any change in his grades recently?

The only thing I can recommend is that you carefully look at his (and your) options before making a decision. I would hate to see him compromise his future.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

He is nineteen, and quit school a while ago. His reasons had nothing to do with being bullied or being unhappy, he is fine. He has tons of friends and a lovely girlfriend. He just doesn't want to go back to a traditional school at his age, and at this stage of his life.

He does not want to get a GED, and I fully support that decision.

I'm sure he will go to college or a trade school, but perhaps not right away.

There are several fully accredited online and correspondence schools, that any college in my area will accept. I was just wondering if anyone had gone that route, and what their experiences were.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Sorry I came to the wrong concusion. Best of luck to your son.

Quote Originally Posted by Twisterdog View Post
    He is nineteen, and quit school a while ago. His reasons had nothing to do with being bullied or being unhappy, he is fine. He has tons of friends and a lovely girlfriend. He just doesn't want to go back to a traditional school at his age, and at this stage of his life.

He does not want to get a GED, and I fully support that decision.

I'm sure he will go to college or a trade school, but perhaps not right away.

There are several fully accredited online and correspondence schools, that any college in my area will accept. I was just wondering if anyone had gone that route, and what their experiences were.

How come no GED?

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    How come no GED?
    If it comes down to the last resort, then he will get one. However, (and I hate to say this, lest I start a GED war), a GED is NOT the same as a diploma, no matter what kids looking to get one are told.

A GED is better than nothing, by a LONG shot. But it is not viewed the same as a diploma, even if it is supposed to be. For example, a community (two year) college will accept a student with a GED, but a regular, four-year college will not. To attend a four-year college, a student with a GED has to first earn an associates degree at a community college, then transfer the Associates degree to the four-year college.

And many employers specifically hire only people with diplomas, not GED's. I'm not sure it's strictly legal, but I've seen it many times in the "Help Wanted" section of our local paper.

He could pass the GED easily. He scored in the 99% percentile on the pre-test. It's a very simple test. My fifteen year old step-son passed in on the first try, without studying. (NOT with his father's permission, btw, his mother signed for it. ) I'd much rather he get his diploma, he is very close.

Marigold, no problem. It was a logical conclusion, and a thoughtful, caring post.

Could he do independent study through a local high school? A few of my daughters friends did this and it worked out well.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

First of all, no, I don't know of anyone who has done it.

Have you already checked out the High Schools in your town, or State
    to see who has it or doesn't offer it? I agree with you on the GED vs Diploma.

Seriously, have you qoogled the question.You might be surprised at the
    info available that way. Best of luck.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

TD- I have often thought there was a difference in the way people treated a GED v. a diploma, but didn't know it was actually true. I have heard that obtaining a GED is actually harder than obtaining a diploma...considering you obtain your diploma essentially one class at a time, one year at a time, through 4 years of high school. A GED? It puts a lot of it on the line all at once...(though I think I also heard that you can now take it in sections???).

Dunno. BUT, what about an IEP/private tutor/home school idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Twisterdog View Post
    If it comes down to the last resort, then he will get one. However, (and I hate to say this, lest I start a GED war), a GED is NOT the same as a diploma, no matter what kids looking to get one are told.

A GED is better than nothing, by a LONG shot. But it is not viewed the same as a diploma, even if it is supposed to be. For example, a community (two year) college will accept a student with a GED, but a regular, four-year college will not. To attend a four-year college, a student with a GED has to first earn an associates degree at a community college, then transfer the Associates degree to the four-year college.

And many employers specifically hire only people with diplomas, not GED's. I'm not sure it's strictly legal, but I've seen it many times in the "Help Wanted" section of our local paper.

ETA: I didn't know you could test for the GED at 15? I thought you needed to be at least 16, but maybe things have changed.

He could pass the GED easily. He scored in the 99% percentile on the pre-test. It's a very simple test. My fifteen year old step-son passed in on the first try, without studying. (NOT with his father's permission, btw, his mother signed for it. ) I'd much rather he get his diploma, he is very close.

Marigold, no problem. It was a logical conclusion, and a thoughtful, caring post.
    I'm not sure where you've heard this. I got my GED as a teen, and went straight to a 4-year school. If he is in the 99th percentile then I'm sure he should have no difficulty scoring high on the ACT or SAT which would allow him entrance into any public college.

Though this is just personal experience, I don't think getting my GED as opposed to a HS diploma negatively affected my educational career. I have a Master's Degree and in the fall I am beginning a PhD program at DU.

I also wanted to add that there are some free online schools for a HS diploma. I don't where you live in Wyoming, but Connections Academy has a free school in Jackson Hole: http://www.connectionsacademy.com/wyoming-school/home.aspx

I think you do most of the coursework online, but may need to go to the center for tests and assessments. They are also accredited by the state, which is an important thing to look for.

Another thought - what does he need to complete his high school education according to his old school? Is it a matter of one or two classes? Might he be able to test out of them and get his diploma that way?
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Pembroke_Corgi View Post
    I'm not sure where you've heard this.
    From the counselors at his former high school, our community college, and two four-year colleges. We are 200 miles from Jackson.

His former school does not allow "testing out" of anything, ever. He doesn't qualify for an IEP, and he is no longer a minor, which makes things more difficult.

There is a state-wide free online public school here, which he can start in the fall. My nephew just got his diploma via correspondence courses in Utah, and it was easier and quicker than the online school sounds. Which is what got him interested in the idea.