Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High School Diploma via Correspondence?

My daughter took health via the Utah correspondance school since she wanted to take drivers ed before her school would allow it and they were combined so she didn't want to waste that slot on health, it worked out fine. It was a bit pricey.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Twisterdog View Post
    From the counselors at his former high school, our community college, and two four-year colleges. We are 200 miles from Jackson.

His former school does not allow "testing out" of anything, ever. He doesn't qualify for an IEP, and he is no longer a minor, which makes things more difficult.

There is a state-wide free online public school here, which he can start in the fall. My nephew just got his diploma via correspondence courses in Utah, and it was easier and quicker than the online school sounds. Which is what got him interested in the idea.
    I am not fighting you...just throwing out some other ideas. I believe, here in Cincinnati (and it might be state wide) that the local public school *must* accept a 19 year old as a student. And, if that is so, why can't he be home schooled til he acquires a degree?

According to the Wyoming Constitution, it is 21 years of age:

Wyo. Const. Art. 7, § 9

The legislature shall make such further provision by taxation or otherwise, as with the income arising from the general school fund will create and maintain a thorough and efficient system of public schools, adequate to the proper instruction of all youth of the state, between the ages of six and twenty-one years, free of charge; and in view of such provision so made, the legislature shall require that every child of sufficient physical and mental ability shall attend a public school during the period between six and eighteen years for a time equivalent to three years, unless educated by other means.

Is the local public school pushing back? I recognize he doesn't WANT to attend the public high school...but free education, that we can presume is 'legit', for less than a years worth of credit? Otherwise, if the state has to provide schooling for him, can't he be home schooled???

I guess I've been unclear in my posts, sorry.

Yes, he can be homeschooled ... that is essentially what free online public school is. You do your work at home via the internet. He is enrolled in this and can start in the fall. It will take him the typical nine month school year to finish his classes. He is committed to doing this, but not wild about the time frame.

He asked me about diploma by mail correspondence course, however, because my nephew just did this in Utah, and finished in about 1/3 the time it would have taken him in a regular school setting.

I was just asking if anyone had gotten a diploma by mail correspondence course, and how that worked for them.

Either way, he will be doing high school courses this fall, whether via internet or mail, and he will receive a diploma. That's not the issue. I was just wondering about mail vs. online.

Sorry to be unclear.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien