Thread: Does anyone else's cat paw around the litter?

Does anyone else's cat paw around the litter?

I just bought a new litter box today but normally my male cat has a regular plastic litter pan. He never covers his litter and he still didn't with the new box. We change the litter often and he never goes so it's not dirty.
    He is an outdoor cat and always likes going outside. The only thing he will do in his box is pee.
    I heard it is normal for a cat to paw around the business and paw at the sides of the pan. Normal?
    On the other hand, my cat LOVES using my sister's cat's box. He is able to cover up his business perfectly. Why the difference?
    Does anyone's cat do this? My sister's cat litter box is a pan but it has a raised cover that has a 1 foot or more hole on the top-square shaped-almost like a tall lid for the box.
    I went looking for it today at Petsmart but they didn't have it.

I just wonder why my cat likes using my sister's cat's box and will not go in his own. He paws around his business and on the sides of the box.

*raises hand in air* Lucie Noel Lu, my 1 year old Tortie used to do that while I used Feline Pine pellett form. I now use Feline Pine scoopable. She switched to batting around the cat kibble. We play fetch at night. This cat never gets tired. I get tired watching her!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Oh yes they dig like they are going to China. I am always sweeping up piles of litter from the box. All of my cats cover their deeds though.

but now he will not poop in the box at all. only pee.

This may sound strange, but maybe his box is too clean? Maybe he goes in your sisters cats box because of the other cats smell? I have no clue, I'm just throwing out guesses here.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

CleverCat

Our cat Baby would never go in a regular pan, and even with a cover would either not go or pee all over the edge. We finally got a CleverCat litterbox- it looks like a rubbermaid container, about a foot and a half deep with a flat lid and a hole on one side of the top. Both the cats love it, although Lucy thought it was a play thing when we first purchased it. The only problem is that they only pee on the side with the hole for some reason, so if you don't clean it often enough one side is a big clump of pee...

BabyLucy...I know what you mean about the giant clump!

My fur baby, Proton, is still a little guy yet he can fill a litter box
    up in no time! And he loves peeing in once section. Funny, its not always
    the same section it just seems once he has peed he likes to do it in the same spot!

As far as pawing away at the litter he does a normal amount of that. However, he does paw around his food bowl. Not always but it doesn't matter if its a full bowl or not. I think he is trying to tell me something. Just not sure what.

Quote Originally Posted by kaotickitty View Post
    As far as pawing away at the litter he does a normal amount of that. However, he does paw around his food bowl. Not always but it doesn't matter if its a full bowl or not. I think he is trying to tell me something. Just not sure what.
    I used to also wonder why some of my cats kept pawing around their food bowls. I was at a cat show one time and I saw a Bengal cat doing this and I asked the owner about it. The lady said that this is normal behavior and that cats in the wild will bury any uneaten food after a meal so more domesticated cats just go through the motions. I used to think that my cats just didn't like it's food.

My cat Sky will dig to China and even after he's covered his business, he'll start pawing and scratching the sides of the litter box lid. I have several litter boxes but only 3 are covered so he'll do it with these. He makes so much noise that sometimes I just tell him to get out of the box or I tap on it so he'll finally get out. He's the only cat that does this and I've never understood why. Maybe he's trying to get all of the litter off of his paws before he jumps out.