Thread: Help with an unspayed female

Help with an unspayed female

I've just become "stepmom" to Remy, an orange girl adopted by my fiance last fall. Remy is about 18 months old, and has NOT been spayed. (Long story. Trust me, I've been nagging him about this since I found out.) I'm planning to take her to my vet this afternoon to get her rabies and distemper shots, so I can then get her to the Humane Society for spaying.

In the meantime, she is in heat and YOWLING. I swear she must have a bit of Siamese, because she sounds just like a baby! Is there anything I can do to calm her? Catnip? Feliway?

Liz
    [b]"Virtue is triumphant only in theatrical productions." --The Mikado

Oh boy, I know what you're going through. When my Creamsicle was in heat, I was on the phone once when she was at the top of the stairs yowling and the woman on the other end of the line said "Go ahead and take care of your baby and we can talk later". When I told her it was my cat in heat, she was shocked. Poor Cgirl came in heat so often that every time I had a spay appt. made, I'd have to reschedule. Finally my vet spayed her anyhow. I wish I had some suggestions for you but I don't, just my sympathy.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I'm with Mary; I know exactly what you're going through, but there is only one cure.
    Many years ago, when we first had our now RB kitty Jamara, we also had a roommate. Jamara would set to howling, usually at odd hours of the night, and Michael would set his teeth on edge and say, "It's THE CAT or ME!! One of us is OUT OF HERE!" Needless to say, neither left, we had her spayed.

Sorry, but that's the only answer, you have my sympathies as well.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Don Juan's Mom,

Same here. LuLu was just starting to into heat when I got her into a clinic and had her spayed. Usually, a cat's heat lasts about a week to 10 days. I feel for ya, girl. I tried Feliway and it didn't work. It's strictly hormones in this case. I did cat sit one time for my Dad whose cat he never got spayed (I didn't realize it till just now). Jessie, who hated my guts, never got spayed and was in heat the whole time my Dad was away. UGH!!

My sympathy is with you.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Sigh. Thank you all. I'm planning to make the appointment at the Humane Society on Monday, as soon as I have a vaccination certificate for Remy. She's been "talking" with Zerlina, almost as if Zerlina is consoling with her.

Liz

I've never experienced a female cat in heat but I'm sorry to hear that you have to go through this. Hopefully she'll be able to be spayed quickly so that she won't go into another heat cycle. I know that Don Juan is neutered but isn't there another cat other than Remy and Zerlina also living with you? Hopefully if it's a male, he's already neutered.

Congrats on your engagement! So have you set a wedding date yet?

Quote Originally Posted by krazyaboutkatz View Post
    I've never experienced a female cat in heat but I'm sorry to hear that you have to go through this. Hopefully she'll be able to be spayed quickly so that she won't go into another heat cycle. I know that Don Juan is neutered but isn't there another cat other than Remy and Zerlina also living with you? Hopefully if it's a male, he's already neutered.
    No worries there. Rugger isn't capable of being a Don Juan, either. But Remy is a real Miss Houdini, and we do worry that the next time she escapes she'll meet a tom that she likes.

Congrats on your engagement! So have you set a wedding date yet?
    We're talking about sometime in the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by krazyaboutkatz View Post
    I've never experienced a female cat in heat but I'm sorry to hear that you have to go through this. Hopefully she'll be able to be spayed quickly so that she won't go into another heat cycle.
    You have no idea how lucky you are. Some days I just want to toss her onto the balcony & close the door to escape her non-stop screaming. I swore she was in heat for 6+ months straight, with a few days off here & there. Thankfully shes getting spayed any hour now. Shes at the vets right now waiting to get her lady gutts ripped out. I know Digi will be happy now to have Cam rubbing up against her like she would... oooo Digi would get so mad at her after being harassed like that lol poor Cam...

Soon we'll both be able to sleep again

I didn't know you couldn't have a female kitty in heat spayed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    I didn't know you couldn't have a female kitty in heat spayed.
    You can. Cam's current vet charges an extra $15 to spay a cat in heat as the procedure is a little harder to do.

I believe most vets would prefer not too, but with the cat over population I think more & more vets are doing it to help control the over population.

Update: Appointment made

We've got an appointment with the Humane Society on July 7. Gotta drop her off there between 6:30 and 7:30am. And had to pay a $25 non-refundable non-transferable deposit. If the little stinker is still in heat then I'll be .

I hope that everything will go well and that she's not in heat on July 7th. I remember that I also had to pay a $25 non refundable fee for Ziggy. I guess this helps to prevent people from backing out or cancelling their appointments.

If she's still in heat will they still do it? If so how much more would it be? I hope that your fiance is paying for this since it's his cat and he's let her go into heat. Good luck.