Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Recipe Thread

Originally posted by gini

It is a combination of sugar and Karo syrup that is boiled to a certain temperature - vanilla is added (and nuts) and then you have to beat it for quite a while to the right consistency - it is a very "divine" candy - smooth and sweet. Some people call it Angel's candy. It is pretty good stuff! I will get the recipe out to you guys as soon as I can find it.
    My grandmother's literally melted in your mouth. I am not a big fan of sweets......but this one is delicious!!! It is "white" and beautiful. But I do think you have to do it exactly right, or it doesn't work!!! Can't wait to try it, Gini. Perhaps I need to forewarn Scott that I will need the ultimate mixer!!! All I have is hand mixer that is about 20 years old!!!!!

Logan

Originally posted by Andie

Rotel is a brand name I forgot to say that, all they are is hot and spicy diced tomatoes

Small is the 8 oz jar (we usually put more but we're cheese addicts)

16 oz is 1 lb (i think) if that helps any
    Rotel tomatoes are terrific for making nachos too!! But in addition to having tomatoes that are diced, they also have diced green chilies (YUM) and you can usually find them in mild or hot versions. I get the HOT!!!!!

Measures!

Liquid Measures
    1 cup 8 fluid ounces 1/2 pint 237 ml 16 tablespoons
    2 cups 16 fluid ounces 1 pint 473 ml
    4 cups 32 fluid ounces 1 quart 946 ml
    2 pints 32 fluid ounces 1 quart 0.946 liters
    4 quarts 128 fluid ounces 1 gallon 3.785 liters
    8 quarts one peck
    4 pecks one bushel
    dash less than 1/4 teaspoon
    1 teaspoon 1/6 fluid ounce 5 grams about 5 ml
    1 tablespoon 1/2 fluid ounce 15 grams 15 ml 3 teaspoons
    2 tablespoons 1 fluid ounce 30 grams 29.6 ml 1/8 cup
    8 tablespoons 4 fluid ounces 1/4 pint 118.5 ml 1/2 cup

Dry Measures
    3 teaspoons 1 tablespoon 1/2 ounce 14.3 grams
    2 tablespoons 1/8 cup 1 fluid ounce 28.35 grams
    4 tablespoons 1/4 cup 2 fluid ounces 56.7 grams
    5 1/3 tablespoons 1/3 cup 2.6 fluid ounces 75.6 grams
    8 tablespoons 1/2 cup 4 ounces 113.4 grams 1 stick butter
    12 tablespoons 3/4 cup 6 ounces .375 pound 170 grams
    32 tablespoons 2 cups 16 ounces 1 pound 453.6 grams
    64 tablespoons 4 cups 32 ounces 2 pounds 907 grams

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

A Pinch = the amount that can be picked up between the index finger and thumb or about 1/8 of a teaspoon. This is found sometimes in older recipies. Such as a pinch of salt etc. Just thought you may want to know in case it comes up.

OMG you guys is this going to be a contest to see who gains the most weight by New Years???? My mouth is watering something terrible! Divinity!!!! To die for! It just melts in your mouth.

How about a recipe for those Mexican Wedding cookies? I would like to (try) and make those.

Randi,

Bless you for researching those conversions! I was trying to remember where my tables were and freaking out. Now I've got 'em where I can just search for them online at my favorite spot on the internet. Yippee!!

My two cents re. Divinity was going to be that it's a whipped white candy a little like a light non-chocolate fudge that melts on your tongue, but you probably got that already.

I have several recipes I'd like to share here but keep forgetting. At a potluck party at work here last week I made Preznick (spelling very approximate) -- a Yugoslavian Cheese Loaf a little like a quiche that everyone raved over. It's delicious and very easy to make. Must dig that recipe out at a minimum.

Oh, this thread also reminds me of a friend's humorous encounter in Australia. She was shopping at a grocery store and said something to her boyfriend. A nearby woman recognized her accent and asked her help interpreting a recipe her new daughter-in-law from California had sent: "She says to add a cup of half-and-half, but half of what and half of what?" This was the first time we'd ever realized that this pre-packaged milk and cream mixture wasn't universal -- at least by 'our' name for it!
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Originally posted by sammi
    Question of The Day:

Who knows what "oleo" is and remembers the little "red/orange" dot and what you did with it?? This is really giving my age away.
    Back in the '50s, I remember Granda always called margarine "oleo", and I was wondering about the little red dot. Was that the annato bean extract that is used to this day in giving yellow or orange coloring to foods?
    Spencer's Mom

Grasshopper Shadowcat Magicat
    August 14, 1986 - June 15 2004
    Thank you so much for the siggies, PCB & Kfamr

* * I've Been Frosted * *

How about a recipe for those Mexican Wedding cookies? I would like to (try) and make those.
    I just happen to have a recipe for those.

Mexican Wedding Cookies

2 cups butter, softened
    1 cup powdered sugar
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    4 1/2 cups flour
    2 cups chopped pecans
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    Extra powdered sugar for rolling cookies

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease cookie sheets.
    With an electric mixer, cream butter, powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat in the flour, salt, and pecans. Roll stiff dough into bite-sized balls and place 8 across and 9 down on a cookie sheet. Bake for 20 minutes. After cooling for 5 minutes, roll still warm cookies in a bowl of powdered sugar. Let cool. Roll cookies again to cover completely.
    Makes 6 dozen.

Here's two for lemon lovers. The first is a cake we used to make when I worked at a bakery. It is so simple and good! It doesn't have an official name so I'll call it Lemon-pie cake.

Make your favorite white or yellow cake. (or even lemon cake) Use canned Lemon pie filling to 'frost' it. If you use a two layer mix, put pie filling between the layers then frost the outside too. If you have your cake in a baking dish, just frost it. If you like cocoanut, pat shredded cocoanut on the lemon filling. This is optional. Decorate with a marachino cherry. Also, optional. This is a great treat.

Here's the second lemon lover recipe:

Lemon Whipper Snappers

1 box lemon cake mix
    2 cups whipped topping
    1 egg, beaten
    1/2 cup powdered sugar

Combine cake mix, whipped topping, and egg in a large bowl; mix well.
    Drop by teaspoon in powdered sugar and roll to coat.
    Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes.
    Makes 4 dozen cookies

Question of The Day:

Who knows what "oleo" is and remembers the little "red/orange" dot and what you did with it?? This is really giving my age away.
    Margerine originally was white and certainly didn't look appealing on white bread. I don't remember the brand but the oleomargerine came in a one lb plastic bag. Also inside was a small reddish capsule. First chore was to break open the capsule by squeezing it. Then knead the bag until the oleo was an even yellow color. Back in the fridge until it was solid again. I remember kneading many pounds of oleo until finally the Oregon state legislature allowed colored margerine in the stores.

You can probably tell I'm bored but... Here is a picture of Canadian margarine!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Tanya, Hans, Fritz & Sparky

Corn Chowder??

Do any of you have a good recipe for Corn Chowder? We're getting into the heart of "fall" now, and we love soup, especially Corn Chowder!!!

Re: Corn Chowder??

Originally posted by Logan
    Do any of you have a good recipe for Corn Chowder? We're getting into the heart of "fall" now, and we love soup, especially Corn Chowder!!!
    Mmmmm...corn chowder! One of my absolute favorite recipes to make. This one is soo easy, and one I will whip up if family or friends come unexpectedly and I am at a loss for something to make. Served with warm rolls or biscuits, makes a perfect autumn or winter meal...

Creamy Corn Chowder
    6-8 servings

2 chicken bouillon cubes
    1 cup hot water
    5 bacon strips
    1 cup chopped green pepper (optional)
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/4 cup flour
    3 cups milk
    1 1/2 cups corn (I use frozen)
    1 (14 3/4 oz.) can cream style corn
    1/2 teaspoon each salt, seasoned salt, basil and white pepper

Dissolve bouillon in water & set aside. In 5 quart dutch oven, cook bacon. Crumble & set aside. In drippings, saute green pepper & onion until tender. Add flour and cook until bubbly. Cook one more minute. Gradually stir in milk & bouillon. Reduce heat; cook & stir until thickened. Add corn (both kinds) and seasoning. Cook 10 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with bacon.

(I also will sometimes top with grated cheddar or parmesean cheese at the table).

This recipe comes from Taste of Home, my favorite cooking magazines. Are any of you familiar or fans of this magazine?? I personally think it's the best!

Originally posted by Tanya&Fritz
    You can probably tell I'm bored but... Here is a picture of Canadian margarine!
    Ummm..............all I can say is ........................................ LOL!

Originally posted by DoggiesAreTheBest
    I have some great recipes that I would love to share, but all my cooking is low fat and low calories. Would they still be welcomed here?
    Yes! Very much so. As a matter of fact, I was going to request some vegetariean recipes that fall into the low fat catagory. Does any one have any?