Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Recipe Thread

Re: JALAPENO WHITE SAUCE ANYONE?

Originally posted by SANDY FROST
    I TYPED IT AND SENT IT ANOTHER PERSON. MAYBE SHE'LL POST IT . IF NOT
    IF ANYONE WANTS THE RECIPE I'LL POST IT FOR YOU.
    SANDY FROST
    Here it is - it sounds YUMI YUMI ( Koxka!):

JALAPENO WHITE SAUCE - THIS IS A RECIPE FROM MIGELS RESTAURANT

2 CUPS WHIPPING CREAM
    1 CUP SOUR CREAM
    1 TSP. CHICKEN BASE
    2 TBSP. CLARIFIED BUTTER
    1 TBSP. FLOUR
    1 JALAPENO,MINCED
    1TBSP. JUICE FROM BOTTLED JALAPENOS
    2 OZ. SHREDDED CHEESE-EQUAL PARTS JACK AND CHEDDER

METHOD

HEAT WHIPPING CREAM IN A HEAVY SAUCEPAN OVER HIGH HEAT. WHEN THE CREAM IS READY TO BOIL,STIR IN SOUR CREAM. AFTER SOUR CREAM DISSOLVES, REDUCE HEAT TO MEDIUM. STIR IN CHICKEN BASE AND JALAPENO JUICE AND SIMMER.

WHILE CREAM IS HEATING: MAKE A ROUX BY WARMING BUTTER IN A SAUCEPAN OVER MEDIUM HEAT, ADDING FLOUR, AND MIXING WITH A WIRE WHIP UNTIL MIXTURE STARTS TO TURN PALE GOLD.

JUST BEFORE CREAM MIXTURE IS READY TO BOIL AGAIN, ADD ROUX, WHISKING BRISKLY AND CONSTANTLY UNTIL ROUX IS INCORPORATED. REMOVE FROM HEAT; STIR IN MINCED JALAPENO AND THE CHEESE MIXTURE.

MAKES ABOUT 3 1/2 CUPS.

This sounds DIVINE - And I would recommend starting with the one jalapeno only, as things made with jalapenos tend to continue to heat!!!
    Spencer's Mom

Grasshopper Shadowcat Magicat
    August 14, 1986 - June 15 2004
    Thank you so much for the siggies, PCB & Kfamr

* * I've Been Frosted * *

YUM!!! I have to get in on this too. My first one:
    Potato Chip Fudge
    (Don't go ewwwe until you try it! If you like chocolate covered pretzels, you should like this too)

1 12oz package of semisweet chocolate chips
    1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 cup coarsley crumbled potato chips
    (or for you who are faint of heart - 1 cup of coarsley crumbled pretzels can be used instead)

In a medium saucepan, melt the chocolate chips over medium-low heat. Be careful not to burn. When the chocolate is melted, reduce the heat to low and add the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla; stir until well blended. Remove from heat and immediately add the potato chips or pretzels. Stir gently to blend and pour into an 8-inch square baking dish that has been coated with nonstick baking spray. Cover and cool in the refrigeraton until set.

Cut into 1-inch squares because they are very rich.

Here's one of my favorites. I make it a lot. I got it from a lady who makes it for the senior Meals on Wheels program in our town.
    Tater Tot Casserole

Brown and drain:
    1 pound lean groundbeef
    1/2 cup chopped onion

Layer: (don't mix together)
    Groundbeef / onion mixture
    1 can cream of mushroom soup (the lite soups work fine too)
    Tater tots to cover entire top (frozen hash browns work fine too)

Bake covered for 1 hour at 350 degrees. This fits in a covered 2 quart casserole dish fine. This can be doubled easily. Cheddar cheese sprinkled on top a few minutes before serving is great too.

One more for people who need to watch calories and fat.
    Pudding (your choice of flavor)
    1 box instant pudding (I love chocolate)
    2/3 cup powdered milk
    1 1/2 cups cold water

Put powdered ingredients into bowl. Add cold water. Mix with a whisk. This sets up fast. Sugar free instant pudding works great too. Make a great pie by pouring this in a graham cracker crust and topping with whipped topping.
    Last edited by momoffuzzyfaces; 10-25-2002 at 04:16 PM.

Ok, I've got one more to share. I love ones that don't take a lot of work, so here goes:
    Mexican Casserole

Brown and drain:
    1 pound lean groundbeef
    1/c cup chopped onion

Layer, in order given, amounts of the following ingredients to cover a 9x12x3 baking dish:
    Fritos or tortilla chips
    Chili, with or without beans, your choice
    Cheese, shredded
    Browned groundbeef and onion mixture
    More Cheese shredded

Bake at 375 degrees until cheese is melted.

MEXICAN HOT CARROTS - edited!

(This is easy to do, BTW.)

Ever get those delicious hot carrots at Mexican restaurants? We here in San Diego are lucky to be just north of Baja California (OK, you all know about Tijuana, right? There's a very good Cultural Center there!!) Like most national cuisines, Mexican is also very regional - so this is how I learned to make them here in the far west. By the way, these are very healthy, too; lots of vitamin C and A.

I will write this recipe for 5 Cups of carrots and you can take off from there! (I used to do them in 5 gallon condiment jars, but you can adjust the quantity of the ingredients according to the size jar you have. You will want a glass jar to marinate and store *them in!)

Ingredients:
    *5 cups medium to large carrots, scrubbed, peeled, and sliced about 1/4 inch thick on a diagonal (keep only medium to ;large pieces for this recipe
    *2 cups white onion, peeled and sliced 3/8 inch thick against the grain (making rings)
    *1-2 large cloves garlic (sliced in quarters, lengthwise)
    *5-8 bay leaves
    *1 healthy bunch of cilantro (about a cup), stems cut way back (also known as Chinese mint and corriander, I believe, for the ingrediently challenged )
    *10-15 fat jalapenos according to how hot you want it (I usually buy canned Ortega Brand whole jalapenos so I don't have to pre-cook them)
    The marinade is approximate and you can adjust to taste:
    1 cup rice vinegar
    1/2 cup canola oil
    Water to cover when you jar them

Blanch or parboil the cut carrots and sliced onions, to where they just lose some of their crispness (do NOT overcook! They will mush in the process if you do.) Save the stock form this process.
    (If you use fresh jalapenos, blanch them also, discarding the water.)

Put the carrots, onions, garlic, bay leaves, jalapenos and cilantro in a large jar, add the vinegar and oil, then pour the stock over everything until it is covered. Add hot water if necessary to complete this step.

Mix thoroughly then let stand loosely covered with a cloth to marinate.

After a day of marinating, test them for taste and texture. They should be warm to the tongue and firm, but not crisp or crunchy. I ususally let them stand two days before I start to use them. When they are fully flavored, put a lid on the jar and refrigerate. They will keep a long time as they have vinegar in them, but the longer you keep them, the hotter they get from the chilis!!

If they start to seem too hot, remove some or all of the peppers. Since I have pepper eaters in my home, I don't have to worry about this too much, but once I forgot about them for a month, and when I bit into one, I cleared out my sinuses for a week!!!!
    Last edited by kohala; 10-25-2002 at 10:01 PM.
    Spencer's Mom

Originally posted by koxka
    Koala: Your relative was catalan or basque? or both? Empanadas
    aren't catalan nor basque , in fact are from Galicia. The recipie you told me is something I got severals times from people from Chilie, have nerver eat such empanada as a local from spanish people.
    Koxka, we always have a good time trying to figure out what the "Quiroga Girls" really were, whenever the family gets together! My sisters-in-law and some of my husband's female cousins got into a serious discussion when my mother-in-law passed away two years ago. OMIGOD, today is (would have been) her birthday!!! She would have been 84. Wow! Love you, Mom!! Thanks for all the great meals.

We Americans hold on to our various national and ethnic roots. Immigration to this country comes in waves from various places, and there usually is a two generation transition for the family to go from being from "there" to being "American". Does this make sense to you?

Anyway, for some of the much older generations, they changed names, family histories, and their claims to "roots" to ward off the prevailing bigotry-du-jour. We know through records that her grandparents (father's side) were from Spain, and that Grandpa Quiroga was Basque/Spanish. He was raised in Mexico, where his parents immigrated in the 1800's. Her mother was born and rasied in California of Basque and ???????? descent. Who knows where she got her recipes from. She did once tell me she remembered meals from cooking with HER grandmother. Mom could cook, I'll tell you that!!
    And her table was always beautiful, no matter what the meal. She was passionate about presentation!!
    Can you tell us more about Galicia? I sure value the information!!!
    Spencer's Mom

Help!

Can somebody tell me how much margarine a "stick" is? We don't sell margarine in sticks in Canada.

Thanks!
    Tanya, Hans, Fritz & Sparky

Cheeseburger Pie

1 lb. lean ground beef
    1 1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. pepper
    1 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
    1 1/2 cup milk
    3/4 cup Bisquick
    3 eggs

Brown beef and onion. Add salt and pepper. Drain and spread in lightly greased 10" pie plate. Sprinkle with cheese. Beat remaining ingredients until smooth. Pour into pie plate. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes.

For 9" pie plate, decrease milk to 1 cup, Bisquick to 1/2 cup, plus 2 eggs.

The BEST Chicken Casserole

5 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
    2 10 oz tins cream of chicken soup
    1 tin sliced mushrooms
    2 cups potato chips (crushed)
    1 1/2 cup diced celery
    4 tbsp. minced onion
    4 tbsp. mayonnaise
    2 cups sharp cheddar cheese (cubed)

Cook and cut chicken into bite-sized pieces.
    Mix all ingredients except 3/4 cup potato chips and 1 cup cheese.
    Spread mixture in buttered, 3 quart casserole.
    Spread remaining chips and cheese on top.
    Bake at 425 for 15-20 minutes.

Originally posted by Tanya&Fritz
    Help!

Can somebody tell me how much margarine a "stick" is? We don't sell margarine in sticks in Canada.

Thanks!

We looked on our stick and it said it was 8 tablespoons.
    Hold your head high.
    Don't ever let 'em define
    The light in your eyes.
    Love yourself, give them Hell.
    You can take on this world.
    You just stand and be strong
    And then fight
    Like a girl.

Originally posted by Andie
    We looked on our stick and it said it was 8 tablespoons.
    Yes, it is. An alternate way of looking at it is that it's 1/4 pound.
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

11. Tanya & Fritz.....

I'm curious. How is margarine sold in Canada?

It's sold in a plastic tub.

I think our milk is sold differently too. It's sold in bags that you cut off the corner and you put the bag in a plastic milk container.

Thanks for your help, I'm glad I asked. My gut instinct was tellling me 1/2 lb. It would have been a greasy casserole!!!

Isn't it funny how we all assume you would know what a "stick" of butter/margarine is.........? Some of my older recipes from family call for a "gob" of the ingredient. A gob is the amount you could scoop into the palm of your hand. I think when you were on the farm, feeding hard working men, you took the shortest and easiest way to measure to save time in the cooking.

I have some good recipies for Pumpkin Bread, Caramel Corn to die for (good for holiday gifts) and Divinity Fudge. Anyone interested? Umm, also some peanut brittle.........

..........er...............Peanut Brittle - oh yes I could force myself!!!

Our margarine is also sold in plastic tubs and butter is sold in 1/2.lb blocks.

Lynne

Tanya and Fritz....how is "butter" sold in Canada? Is it tubbed also? Just curious....