Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2728293031323334353637

Thread: Recipe Thread

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    I'm going to try these Apple Pie Baked Apples when I get home next week. But, ain't no way I'm going to try to make my own pie crust. This girl will make do with store bought. You get Sally's recipe here: http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/201...-baked-apples/ I've copied down my version below.

Ingredients:
    • Pie crust dough
    • 1 teaspoon cornstarch
    • 1 Tablespoon (15ml) warm water
    • 5 large, perfectly round apples (I prefer Granny Smith or Honeycrisp)
    • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
    • 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    • 1 large egg
    • 1 teaspoon milk
    • Caramel sauce for drizzling (optional)

Directions:
    Thaw out pie crust in fridge. (My edit)
    Make the apple filling: In a very small bowl, mix the cornstarch and warm water together until smooth, creamy, and the cornstarch has disolved. Set aside. Peel and dice 1 apple. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, cook the apple pieces, cornstarch/water mixture, cinnamon, and sugar. Stir constantly for 5 minutes. Switch to low heat and allow to simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in the vanilla, and allow to cool off for 20 minutes.

Assemble: Cut chilled pie dough into ¼-inch wide strips with a pizza cutter. I like to chill the strips as I cut out the apples. I suggest putting them on a large cutting board and placing in the fridge. Remember, you always want your pie dough to be COLD.

Preheat oven to 375F degrees.

Slice off the tops of the 4 remaining apples. Using a spoon (or melon baller), dig out the core. It doesn't have to look perfect. Spoon the prepared apple filling into the cored-out apples. You may have some filling leftover - it's great warmed up over vanilla ice cream. Lay 3-4 strips of the pie dough on top of the apple. Then, working with one new strip at a time, alternate weaving it over and under the dough strips already in place. Repeat until the top of the apple has been covered in this lattice style crust. Using a sharp paring knife, trim excess pie crust around the edges. Repeat with remaining apples and pie dough strips.

Place apples into an 8-inch or 9-inch square baking pan or pie dish-- really any size baking pan works. In a small dish, whisk the egg and milk together. Lightly brush the tops with egg wash. I sprinkled a little bit of cinnamon on top of the egg wash before going into the oven- this is optional. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the crust is browned and the filling is bubbly.

If desired, drizzle each with caramel. We ate ours with a knife and fork and vanilla ice cream on the side. These apples are best enjoyed immediately. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.

Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

I was at a meeting one day last week and lunch was served. Part of it was spinach salad with dried cranberries, almonds and Gorgonzola cheese. The dressing was a vinaigrette. I love spinach salad but this was a bit odd. The stems were still on the spinach leaves - I always cut the stems off with scissors or a knife before I wash the leaves. But these were still on, so I just cut them off with my plastic knife and fork as I ate the salad. Does it matter? My niece sometimes puts a handful of spinach leaves into scrambled eggs and she said she trims off the stems if they're really long. I ended up cutting the spinach leaves anyway because I didn't want to be cramming salad into my mouth in front of all the people at the meeting. I don't like cooked spinach but I do like it in salad.

Thanks,
    Elyse
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    I was at a meeting one day last week and lunch was served. Part of it was spinach salad with dried cranberries, almonds and Gorgonzola cheese. The dressing was a vinaigrette. I love spinach salad but this was a bit odd. The stems were still on the spinach leaves - I always cut the stems off with scissors or a knife before I wash the leaves. But these were still on, so I just cut them off with my plastic knife and fork as I ate the salad. Does it matter? My niece sometimes puts a handful of spinach leaves into scrambled eggs and she said she trims off the stems if they're really long. I ended up cutting the spinach leaves anyway because I didn't want to be cramming salad into my mouth in front of all the people at the meeting. I don't like cooked spinach but I do like it in salad.

Thanks,
    Elyse
    It does not matter as far as nutrition, the stems are just a bit "woodier" depending on whether it is baby spinach or full grown spinach. Humans can ingest the stems perfectly fine, they just need more chewing, or chopping up beforehand!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post

Thanks,
    Elyse
    I never cut the stems off. I usually just throw a handful in the bowl and use it as a salad. My favorite is the hot bacon dressing but since giving up sugar I need to make a hot bacon dressing that is sugar free. I love to take spinach salad, add some bacon and salad fixings and top with 2 soft boiled or poached eggs. The yolk makes a perfect dressing..
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Quote Originally Posted by shais_mom View Post
    I never cut the stems off. I usually just throw a handful in the bowl and use it as a salad. My favorite is the hot bacon dressing but since giving up sugar I need to make a hot bacon dressing that is sugar free. I love to take spinach salad, add some bacon and salad fixings and top with 2 soft boiled or poached eggs. The yolk makes a perfect dressing..
    Ooh, that sounds scrumptious, I never thought of that! I usually have to avoid dressing because I am allergic to canola oil, and nearly every commercial dressing on the market has it.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Ooh, that sounds scrumptious, I never thought of that! I usually have to avoid dressing because I am allergic to canola oil, and nearly every commercial dressing on the market has it.
    I had never soft boiled eggs before, I was looking thru Pinterest on how to do it and came across a "recipe" using the yolk, as a dressing. And sometimes I add a bit of balsamic vinegar tho not too much since I watch carbs now. its YUM!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Quote Originally Posted by shais_mom View Post
    I had never soft boiled eggs before, I was looking thru Pinterest on how to do it and came across a "recipe" using the yolk, as a dressing. And sometimes I add a bit of balsamic vinegar tho not too much since I watch carbs now. its YUM!
    Yeah, I often just use a little balsamic vinegar, or my basil vinegar for salad dressing, with or without a bit of olive oil. Love when tomatoes are in season, and tomatoes and fresh mozzarella over some spinach with that basil vinegar!
    I've Been Frosted

Not spinach, but swiss chard stalks are almost the best part of the green. I don't cut the stems off any leaves, be they chard, spinach or beet greens.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

I LOVE balsamic vinegar

MAZZETTI balsamic vinegar has NO SUGAR & NO SODIUM ADDED
    I looked at the label of EVERY BOTTLE ON THE SHELF AT A&P
    This was the only one with NO SUGAR.
    The bottle I bought at BJs had 5 grams of sugar so I tossed it

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens

Jello desert

This isn't exactly a recipe you are likely to find in a book - just something I threw together to satisfy my craving for something sweet and cold. It's rather like a Watergate salad, but I like mine better,

Make up a small box of jello and put in fridge and allow to set thoroughly. When set - turn out into a larger bowl and whisk it until completely broken up into a very small chunky mixture - kinda like that of cottage cheese. Take a heaping ice cream scoop of whipped cream cheese and soften it to the consistency of pudding - I just nuke it for a few seconds at a time till it's as soft as it needs to be. Pour into mashed up jello and mix thoroughly. If desired, toss in some drained crushed pineapple or pineapple chunks. Pour back into a smaller bowl that it will all fit into, and refrigerate till set again. I used lime jello, but any flavor that suits you is fine. Strawberry jello is yummy too, and any fruit you like will do too.

Yummy and simple - my kind of dessert.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    This isn't exactly a recipe you are likely to find in a book - just something I threw together to satisfy my craving for something sweet and cold. It's rather like a Watergate salad, but I like mine better,

Make up a small box of jello and put in fridge and allow to set thoroughly. When set - turn out into a larger bowl and whisk it until completely broken up into a very small chunky mixture - kinda like that of cottage cheese. Take a heaping ice cream scoop of whipped cream cheese and soften it to the consistency of pudding - I just nuke it for a few seconds at a time till it's as soft as it needs to be. Pour into mashed up jello and mix thoroughly. If desired, toss in some drained crushed pineapple or pineapple chunks. Pour back into a smaller bowl that it will all fit into, and refrigerate till set again. I used lime jello, but any flavor that suits you is fine. Strawberry jello is yummy too, and any fruit you like will do too.

Yummy and simple - my kind of dessert.

Hee hee - in January my church had a Jello Sunday - one of the women had never had a mellow salad in her life, so everyone made various jello concoctions - I made Aunt Bertha's, which has cottage cheese and pineapple and maraschino cherries etc. This would have been handy then!
    I've Been Frosted

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Hee hee - in January my church had a Jello Sunday - one of the women had never had a mellow salad in her life, so everyone made various jello concoctions - I made Aunt Bertha's, which has cottage cheese and pineapple and maraschino cherries etc. This would have been handy then!
    I have another that I make - more like Aunt Bertha's recipe and not the quicky throw together one that I posted here. It's VERY RICH and super delish. It's addicting.

It has lime jello, crushed pineapple, heavy cream whipped, cream cheese, mini marshmallows, maraschino cherries and chopped walnuts(optional). I pour this one into a mold and turn out on to a plate when set. I especially like this at Christmas since the colors are so like the holidays.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    I have another that I make - more like Aunt Bertha's recipe and not the quicky throw together one that I posted here. It's VERY RICH and super delish. It's addicting.

It has lime jello, crushed pineapple, heavy cream whipped, cream cheese, mini marshmallows, maraschino cherries and chopped walnuts(optional). I pour this one into a mold and turn out on to a plate when set. I especially like this at Christmas since the colors are so like the holidays.
    That sounds like the same thing as Bertha's recipe, but we leave out the whipping cream and use low-fat cottage cheese for calorie reasons (Aunt Bertha was always calorie conscious) and I substitute pumpkin seeds (pepitas) for the walnuts, as I am allergic to tree nuts!
    I've Been Frosted