Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 22232425262728293031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: Recipe Thread

Tons of great recipes guys! Thanks.

Not mine, obviously, but this guy ... Recipes+Gino =

Here he is making a couple of sauces.
    http://www.itv.com/lifestyle/thismor...italiansauces/

Made a mushroom risotto from one of his recipes yesterday, first time I've ever made a risotto successfully.

Fantastico!

Hummingbird Cake

Has anyone every had or made Hummingbird Cake. The recipe looks delicious! It has mashed bananna, pineapple and pecans with cream cheese frosting. Was looking for a different sort of a dessert for Easter.

Here is a link to the recipe:

http://www.joyofbaking.com/printpage...Cakeprint.html

It does look a bit decadent too. Only a small piece?

I saw this on the CBS Early Show this morning. They had a segment about recipes for Passover. I'm not Jewish but I would try this recipe anyway, because the finished dish looked delicious! It is from the Meatball Shop in Manhattan and was demonstrated on the show by the owners Michael Chernow and Daniel Holzman.

Kosher Meatballs

Ground Chuck 1-1/4 pounds
    Olive oil 3 Tablespoons
    Onions 1 ea Coarsely Chopped
    Salt 2-1/2 teaspoons
    Matzos 3 pieces broken into crumbs
    Heinz Ketchup 1/4 cup
    Parsley 1/4 bunch Chopped
    Chicken livers 1/3 pound Chopped
    Eggs 2 ea

Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Add the onions and sauté over a high flame stirring constantly until soft. Add the salt, ketchup and parsley and continue to cook for three minutes. Remove the onions from the heat and set aside and cool. Once cool, add all of the ingredients to a large bowl and mix thoroughly by hand.

Form into golf ball sized meatballs. Roast in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes. Serve with your favorite red sauce / or mushroom gravy; perhaps over egg noodles.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by happylabs View Post
    Has anyone every had or made Hummingbird Cake. The recipe looks delicious! It has mashed bananna, pineapple and pecans with cream cheese frosting. Was looking for a different sort of a dessert for Easter.

Here is a link to the recipe:

http://www.joyofbaking.com/printpage...Cakeprint.html

It does look a bit decadent too. Only a small piece?
    I have made this before. It's really yummy!

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

This is a good site.............

http://www.50plusfriends.com/cookbook/

"I'm Back !!"

I posted this in the thread I made for Aunt Bertha's birthday, but I figured I would add it here so more folks will see it!

Aunt Bertha’s Hot Fudge Sauce

Mix 4 oz. unsweetened chocolate
    1 cup white sugar
    1 cup dark Karo (dark corn syrup, Karo being a brand name)
    1/4 cup water

Cook over moderate heat or in microwave, stirring constantly over heat, occasionally in microwave, until it forms a soft ball in cold water. Start checking after 4 minutes if you are using a microwave. Enjoy over ice cream.

It gets all stretchy and chewy when cold - if you put it in the fridge you can stand a spoon up in it, but just rewarm it, and spoon over cold ice cream, or whatever you need good dark chocolate sauce to complement, and there you are!

If you have a "candy thermometer" you can use it, otherwise the test is take a cup of cold water, and drip one drop in. If it just sinks to the bottom and flattens out, keep cooking. If it forms a soft round ball on the way down - it's perfect!
    I've Been Frosted

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens

Rocky Point Clam Cakes

This is supposed to be the original recipe for the clam cakes served up at the Shore Dinner Hall at the now defunct Rocky Point Park, in Warwick, RI. Can't say positively that it is, but it sure tastes the same as I remember them, and the recipe came to me from a very reliable source.
    Give them a try - and enjoy!

ROCKY POINT CLAM CAKES

2 1/3 cups flour
    1 1/2 tbl baking powder
    1/2 tsp sugar
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tbl black pepper (important!)
    1 1/2 cups clam juice
    2 1/2 cups chopped clams (fresh are best, but you can sub with canned if necessary)
    3 eggs - separated

Combine dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, mix together egg yolks and clam juice. Add egg yolk mixture to dry ingredients. Add clams. DO NOT OVERMIX!

Beat egg whites until stiff. Fold into batter.

Drop by spoons full into hot oil - deep fry at 375 degrees until golden brown. Drain on paper towel.

Makes about 3 dozen.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Easy spaghetti sauce.

I made the clam sauce and just made the sardine style tonight.

Clam spaghetti sauce.

1 can clams - 15 ounce can, undrained.

1 can flavored spaghetti sauce- ounce can.

Olive oil,
    Garlic,
    Salt,
    Pepper,
    Basil.

Heat up the oil and toss in the garlic, how ever much you like.

Toss in the clams and sauce, salt and pepper and heat it.

Salt and pepper and add your basil-this is a fast sauce that you can punch up however you like.

Just change out the clams with sardines- for a sardine sauce. I could not even taste them.....

Crock pot recipe for Chili Verde-Pork in green chili sauce.

Here's the way I made mine. Do you like spicy? You can add more chilis. Do not be afraid when you taste it the first time.
    If you leave it overnight in the fridge, the spicy goes away and the dish flavors become more intense.
    Cook time?
    4-5 hours in a crock pot according to meat thickness.

Ingredients
    4 Anaheim chilis/4-6 inches long.
    4 yellow (guero) chiles
    4 tomatillos
    1 can of green salsa- 8 ounce.
    1 small onion chopped
    3 bullion cubes, chicken or beef.
    1/3-1/2 head of garlic, peeled
    3-4 lbs of pork espadilla(pork shoulder)- I buy this by the piece from the butcher.
    Water, salt and pepper.

*hints/tips?

If you like a 'stewier' version? rough chop the chiles. Reduce water at the beginning of the recipe.

For a soupier style? Process the chilis and onions before you toss them into the crock pot. Add more water.

Take the Anaheims and char them over an open flame.
    Make sure you get the whole chile charred, it makes peeling them easier.
    Place them in a bowl and put the bowl into a plastic bag, set aside.

Brown the pork in a pot until it gets a nice crust-you don't have to do this, but I love the way it turns out.

Remove the meat and add about 2 cups of water and the bullion cube to the pot to deglaze.

Chop the onion, chop and seed the guero chilies, as you know, remove the seed and veins to reduce the heat..

Peel and quarter tomatillos. Peel, stem and deseed the Anaheims.

(remember, you can either put them in as-is or process them!)

Place meat and chile/onions/tomatillos/garlic mix into a crock pot add the water/bullion mix into the crock pot and finish adding water to cover the contents.

I start the crock pot at high for about 2 hours then reduce it for the final 2-3 hours?

I keep the can of green chili to add for the flavor.
    I sounds like too much chili in the recipe, but this made it bolder, You taste as you go along and decide if you want to add it.

Salt and pepper as you go along, When you can pull the meat apart, like pulled pork? it's done.
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

The hospital cafeteria was serving chili-cheese fries today ... honest ... a layer of French fries topped with chili and grated cheese. That just struck me as an unusual combination. I love chili and I like French fries, but together? That I'm not sure.

The soup of the day tomorrow is Italian Wedding- can someone please tell me w hat that is?

Thank you,
    Elyse
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    The hospital cafeteria was serving chili-cheese fries today ... honest ... a layer of French fries topped with chili and grated cheese. That just struck me as an unusual combination. I love chili and I like French fries, but together? That I'm not sure.
    I have seen that offered in many restaurants, actually. Looks messy and calorie-packed, but probably really yummy. I couldn't eat it - I'm allergic to almost everything in chili but the tomatoes and onions, so it would not tempt me in the least!
    I've Been Frosted

Southern Roasted Chicken with Butternut Squash

This is what I'm making tonight....

Southwestern Roasted Chicken & Squash

4 tsp. olive oil, divided
    2 tsp. lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
    1 tsp. honey
    1 tsp. ground cumin
    1 tsp. paprika
    1/2 tsp. chili powder
    1/4 tsp. salt, or to taste, divided
    freshly ground pepper to taste
    6 boneless chicken breasts
    3 cups cubed (3/4 “ pieces)butternut squash
    2 medium onions, peeled and cut into ? “ wedges(2 cups)
    1 Tbsp. coarsely chopped fresh cilantro or parsley(optional)

Preheat oven to 425. Coat a large roasting pan(or large baking sheet with sides) with cooking spray. Mix 2 tsp. oil, lime juice, honey, cumin, paprika ,chili powder, 1/8 tsp. salt and pepper in a small bowl. Remove skin from chicken; trim fat. Rub chicken pieces with the spice mixture and place in the center of the roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine squash, onions, remaining 2 tsp. oil, 1/8 tsp. salt, and pepper in a large bowl; toss to coat. When chicken has roasted for 20 minutes, place the squash mixture in the roasting pan around the chicken pieces. Bake, uncovered, until the chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender, turning vegetables twice, 40 or more minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro or parsley, and serve with lime wedges.

***For the butternut squash, I prick the skin with a fork and nuke it for about 10 minutes in order to get the skin tender enough to peel with a knife***

***I also double the sauce mixture, just because I like a lot of it, lol***

The other night, an experiment that turned out extra yummy -

Sliced up a handful of mushrooms - three white and a bunch of Crimini

Threw those in a pan with a tablespoon of butter, set to sauté-ing, and after 5 minutes, when they were mostly shrunk down, sprinkled in a bunch of thyme, and a bit of salt, plunked a boneless skinless chicken breast on top of them, cooked a couple minutes each side, then threw it in the oven, which was set at about 350F, for 15 minutes, then pulled it out, shook some parmesan cheese on it, added cream enough to coat the bottom of the pan, then stuck it back in the oven for 7 more minutes. Checked, the chicken was cooked, so I put the chicken on the plate, then stirred what was left in the pan and dumped it over as a sauce.

Was quite yummy, so I figured I'd share with you all! Easy easy and tasted quite luxurious.
    I've Been Frosted

Pumpkin Butter

Pumpkin Butter...from the kitchen of "One Perfect Bite"

Ingredients:
    1 (28-oz.) can pumpkin puree
    3/4 cup apple juice
    2 teaspoons ginger
    1/4 teaspoon cloves
    1/4 teaspoon mace
    2 teaspoons cinnamon
    1 teaspoon nutmeg
    1-1/2 cups granulated sugar

Directions:
    1) Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring often, for 30 minutes, or until mixture thickens. I cook mine until a spoon pulled through middle of mixture leaves a trail that does not close in upon itself. If you plan to use immediately, let cool to room temperature. Pack into storage containers and refrigerate for up to a month. Pumpkin butter can also be frozen for up to 6 months. Yield: 3 cups.

Anna posted over on Facebook that she's making this - sounds yummy and seasonal - and it's already Karen Safe!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    The other night, an experiment that turned out extra yummy -

Sliced up a handful of mushrooms - three white and a bunch of Crimini

Threw those in a pan with a tablespoon of butter, set to sauté-ing, and after 5 minutes, when they were mostly shrunk down, sprinkled in a bunch of thyme, and a bit of salt, plunked a boneless skinless chicken breast on top of them, cooked a couple minutes each side, then threw it in the oven, which was set at about 350F, for 15 minutes, then pulled it out, shook some parmesan cheese on it, added cream enough to coat the bottom of the pan, then stuck it back in the oven for 7 more minutes. Checked, the chicken was cooked, so I put the chicken on the plate, then stirred what was left in the pan and dumped it over as a sauce.

Was quite yummy, so I figured I'd share with you all! Easy easy and tasted quite luxurious.
    I need to try that it sounds really yummy.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!